Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I haven’t seen a shortage near me in Colorado, but will keep it in mind, thanks.

Cheers
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - I had trouble finding DEF at various Wal-marts around the country. Now in Taylor, TX they are stacked up by the case in the aisle. Whatever the issue was, it doesn't exist here any more.

Tom
Old 12-14-2021, 09:54 PM   #17

Tom, they knew you were coming and didn't want to risk alienating a person of your stature and renown...
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
well the good news is that it doesn't make any sense to hoard it because of the relatively short shelf life, so hopefully it wont be another example of the toilet paper effect
I was in Sam's club in Sanford, FL yesterday and saw someone going out with 12 containers on hid dolly, that's a lot of miles. Or maybe he is going to re-sell it.
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:16 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
There’s a shortage of urea to make a product that is used in vehicles which have a tank where natural urea is consistently being added.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:27 AM   #20

As long as there is DEF at the TAs on the way to Florida and back. I don’t care. I only need 15 gallons
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
There’s a shortage of urea to make a product that is used in vehicles which have a tank where natural urea is consistently being added.
You need to connect the two tanks. Problem solved
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:31 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Gee Larry, you are so wise to have figured that out. What would we do without you. BTW- wish Amy a Merry Christmas, for you it's the grinch!

Tom and Annie
Old 12-15-2021, 07:40 AM   #23

Quote:
Shelf life varies depending on the temperature at which it is stored. Since you can’t really know how its been stored (at what temperatures and for how long) I use one year as an expiration date.
But one bad indication is a stack of DEF boxes in the window of my local auto parts store. South-facing window I might add.

Pass.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
But one bad indication is a stack of DEF boxes in the window of my local auto parts store. South-facing window I might add.

Pass.
Out local Oreillys did the same thing
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Enlighten us. I’ve examined the Blue Def boxes and have yet to see a manufacture date, expiration date or best if used by date. There is a code printed on the box, but how is one to determine the meaning?
There has been no restocking of DEF at the Batesburg/Leesville Walmart for some time. However, there is a single box of it that has been sitting on the shelf since August. It has a Walmart routing and dating sticker on it, white and black, with bar code, and maybe 2x2 '' in size. I asked an associate if they weren't reordering because this stock item sits unsold and related to him that most folks won't buy it because of the crystallization problems reported here.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #26

Hopefully the DEF shortage is a Walmart phenomenon. I haven't noticed a shortage anywhere else. I suspect that when the stocks of the $7 DEF are replenished the new price will be $14.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Shelf life varies depending on the temperature at which it is stored. Since you can’t really know how its been stored (at what temperatures and for how long) I use one year as an expiration date. I suppose I could store a few cases in my wine cellar

This varies somewhat depending on the source, however most sources agree more or less with the following:
I’ve always kept ours between the Primitivo and the Cab Franc.

We do keep it in the garage, which is below ground level on 3 sides. Rarely gets above 70F in summer. And there is a separate room where the wine is kept. We only use it in the Ecodiesel equipped Jeep, which mostly get towed behind the pre-DEF coach.

The 2 month shelf life at temperatures above 104F, begs the question, what becomes of the DEF in a coach left to sit outside for 3 months in an Arizona summer?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post

The 2 month shelf life at temperatures above 104F, begs the question, what becomes of the DEF in a coach left to sit outside for 3 months in an Arizona summer?
I wondered that same thing and the information I found is that the shelf life is a guideline for storage of unopened DEF in order for it to have enough life left for use in any environment. I live in the desert and my TDI only uses a gallon every 3,000 miles which for me is about 2 gallons a year, it holds 3.5 gallons so I have been very careful with dates and I don't buy till needed, so far 4 years no problems.
My Sprinter uses 3X that amount but holds 5.8 gallons and is very easy to drain and refill if it becomes a problem, I have the frame rail tank and can be siphoned dry if necessary. In the Sprinter they say to always keep it topped off to avoid sensor problems, the TDI I let get down to the 600 mi. till empty message then I go buy fresh.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote