Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2020, 05:14 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, have you contacted Spartan directly about the available of the DEF tank?
If not I would suggest you give them a call with your VIN number. I hope they would have a high desire to support their chassis/ coaches in the field.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #16

Same failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.C View Post
Hi gang. Due to a catastrophic failure of my exhaust system while on the freeway, among other heat related damage, my def tank was destroyed (melted). Spartan has told my repair facility that the def tanks are 60 days back ordered. That obviously not acceptable especially since we are full timers!! Do any of you know of another place to get a replacement Def tank? 2016 Entegra anthem 44B...Thanks!!

Hi Dave, I don't have a tank for you but I did experience the same failure and have been waiting for parts for several weeks.

My exhaust failed the bellows where the exhaust crosses over the top of the engine just under the hatch from inside the coach.

Cummins is of no help as they claim that is not their part. They rely on Spartan to put that section of the exhaust in. Spartan refuses to acknowledge the failure and will offer no support. Entegra puts the heat shield that is around the bellows on so they are in the mix, also. And they pretend to have never heard of the failure also.

Cummins is responsible for the emission control equipment but they are pulling a fast one by passing it on to Spartan.

The first thing you should do is call Joyce Skinner at Entegra customer service. Joyce is at 574.361.6006. she needs to know these failures are happening and how catastrophic they are. Our coach almost caught fire as there is soot, burned cables, melted DEF tank, etc. I had no idea anything was wrong until wires melted and shorted together setting off a bunch of codes.

Joyce at Entegra is sympathetic but will not commit to provide parts or bear any costs because our coach is "out of warranty" She does carry a big stick and can possibly spring loose some part. Same story with Spartan and Cummins. Call Dale Eddy at Cummins and appraise him of the situation as he thinks my coach is the only one that this happened to 616.291.5299.
Spartan contact is Chris McCord 800.543.4277 His direct line is 3235 in their phone system.

I wish you luck. My repairs are over $8000 so far and that does not include new chassis batteries yet nor the $2800 in towing damage.

Maybe if we raise the heat on them with awareness of the failures they will wake up.

I have contacted the EPA already as Cummins is responsible for the emission compliance and a failure like this clearly is violation of Federal Law.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
Hi Dave, I don't have a tank for you but I did experience the same failure and have been waiting for parts for several weeks.

My exhaust failed the bellows where the exhaust crosses over the top of the engine just under the hatch from inside the coach.

Cummins is of no help as they claim that is not their part. They rely on Spartan to put that section of the exhaust in. Spartan refuses to acknowledge the failure and will offer no support. Entegra puts the heat shield that is around the bellows on so they are in the mix, also. And they pretend to have never heard of the failure also.

Cummins is responsible for the emission control equipment but they are pulling a fast one by passing it on to Spartan.

The first thing you should do is call Joyce Skinner at Entegra customer service. Joyce is at 574.361.6006. she needs to know these failures are happening and how catastrophic they are. Our coach almost caught fire as there is soot, burned cables, melted DEF tank, etc. I had no idea anything was wrong until wires melted and shorted together setting off a bunch of codes.

Joyce at Entegra is sympathetic but will not commit to provide parts or bear any costs because our coach is "out of warranty" She does carry a big stick and can possibly spring loose some part. Same story with Spartan and Cummins. Call Dale Eddy at Cummins and appraise him of the situation as he thinks my coach is the only one that this happened to 616.291.5299.
Spartan contact is Chris McCord 800.543.4277 His direct line is 3235 in their phone system.

I wish you luck. My repairs are over $8000 so far and that does not include new chassis batteries yet nor the $2800 in towing damage.

Maybe if we raise the heat on them with awareness of the failures they will wake up.

I have contacted the EPA already as Cummins is responsible for the emission compliance and a failure like this clearly is violation of Federal Law.
I would go higher than Chris McCord, I’d start with Scott Wixson.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:19 AM   #18

It sounds like it is time for a Full Delete IMHO
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Excellent update Al. This is starting to sound serious enough to be filed with the NHTSA.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #20

Quote:

Thanks for all the detailed Info!
You and I experienced the exact same failure and damage. I will be calling everyone you suggested today. Fortunately, my alarms came on just a few miles from our summer home. At least we’re not living in a shop parking lot while awaiting repair!
Dave.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Hi gang. Due to a catastrophic failure of my exhaust system while on the freeway, among other heat related damage, my def tank was destroyed (melted). Spartan has told my repair facility that the def tanks are 60 days back ordered. That obviously not acceptable especially since we are full timers!! Do any of you know of another place to get a replacement Def tank? 2016 Entegra anthem 44B...Thanks!!

“UPDATE”...I called Joyce yesterday who, intern, called Her counterpart at Spartan. Today I got a call from Spartan saying they are pressuring the def tank manufacturer to expedite the build of my tank. Apparently my tank was only made in ‘16-‘17, so they can’t pull one off an existing frame. As a bonus, they are covering the cost of the entire repair which is substantial (melted wiring, hoses, batteries and cables, def tank, etc)!!! Might be a good idea for everyone to check the accordion pipe for damage at least annually. I know of at least one other person who experienced the same failure. Joyce is a Goddess!!! Thanks to everyone of you on this forum who offered your advice! It gave me a lot more knowledge to successfully make my case! We’re loving being back in Oregon for the summer, but I still hate being tied down. Heading back south in September.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #22

Quote:
“UPDATE”...I called Joyce yesterday who, intern, called Her counterpart at Spartan. Today I got a call from Spartan saying they are pressuring the def tank manufacturer to expedite the build of my tank. Apparently my tank was only made in ‘16-‘17, so they can’t pull one off an existing frame. As a bonus, they are covering the cost of the entire repair which is substantial (melted wiring, hoses, batteries and cables, def tank, etc)!!! Might be a good idea for everyone to check the accordion pipe for damage at least annually. I know of at least one other person who experienced the same failure. Joyce is a Goddess!!! Thanks to everyone of you on this forum who offered your advice! It gave me a lot more knowledge to successfully make my case! We’re loving being back in Oregon for the summer, but I still hate being tied down. Heading back south in September.

Sorry, I meant to say Bellows pipe, not accordion. That’s what broke an caused all of the damage.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #23

Quote:

I have positive info from Spartan today. PM me for details and contact info!!
Old 07-10-2020, 12:02 AM   #24

It sounds good that spartan will cover YOUR repair!!

Not the answer I got. I spent the last two days emailing and calling all parties involved. They now know there are a lot of failures like this in the field. Entegra , spartan and upper managenent at cummins got what amounts to a legal brief on my situation pictures and all. I'm hoping for a different answer. Maybe tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed but in case not i know peple at the epa that will be contacting cummins regarding field compliance and they have the use of my coach if they need an exemplar to audit. I already talked to an attorney also if they continue to ignore me.

Cummins is responsible for the emmision complince for 10 years / one million miles in the field and the epa will audit them. They are blowing smoke trying to pass it off to spartan. Spartan put a substandard design in the system and cummins did not catch it. They are still ultimately responsible.

The way that bellows hangs horizontally on the engine it droops over an inch. Any movement will cause the bellows to start bouncing around and fatiguing. So the defect was there during the warranty period and precedence implies entegra is responsible for a failure,too, as the oem.

We'll see how it plays out.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #25

Quote:

Not the answer I got. I spent the last two days emailing and calling all parties involved. They now know there are a lot of failures like this in the field. Entegra , spartan and upper managenent at cummins got what amounts to a legal brief on my situation pictures and all. I'm hoping for a different answer. Maybe tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed but in case not i know peple at the epa that will be contacting cummins regarding field compliance and they have the use of my coach if they need an exemplar to audit. I already talked to an attorney also if they continue to ignore me.

Cummins is responsible for the emmision complince for 10 years / one million miles in the field and the epa will audit them. They are blowing smoke trying to pass it off to spartan. Spartan put a substandard design in the system and cummins did not catch it. They are still ultimately responsible.

The way that bellows hangs horizontally on the engine it droops over an inch. Any movement will cause the bellows to start bouncing around and fatiguing. So the defect was there during the warranty period and precedence implies entegra is responsible for a failure,too, as the oem.

Sounds like you’re on top of it!! Best of luck and thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 07-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #26

contact info

Quote:
Sounds like you’re on top of it!! Best of luck and thanks for sharing your experience!
dave, left contact info on your PM still waiting to hear from you for the magic word to get Spartan to pay for it.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #27

Quote:

Sorry for the long absence, but wanted to give an update. After all the parts including def tank arrive at the repair facility, I had my coach towed there($2250) 10 days ago. I’m told it should be done today if they can get all the codes cleared. The damage was extensive but I haven’t seen the final tally. I will update again when it’s complete.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #28

Had same issue with my coach about a year ago. In my case, fortunately, the damage was limited to the exhaust pipe only. This is obviously a problem and very difficult to detect unless you remove the engine cover in the bathroom and stand on your head with a strong light while the engine is running.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, tank