Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What Gary ran into with off road diesel is right
It is cheaper due to no road taxes added. It is dyed and can be easily see and tested for even several tanks later. Some states do in fact stop and check fuel tanks. Fines can be pretty high. I only know of one local station that has off road diesel though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #16

Living in the middle of farm country I've known that "red" diesel existed. Never seen it at a station before. Just farm and other off road private use storage tanks.

I've heard of truckers getting tested, but I've never heard of an RV or pickup getting tested.

I have a diesel tractor and jokingly talked about buying a private farm tank, but I decided it just wasn't worth the risk for the RV.

Steve
Old 11-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Thanks for that information Matt. I have never factored that in at all.... now I am going to have to pay attention to another issue to get a handle on this DEF bur n rate issue. I have a ticket to get the rate "calibrated" next time I am close to a Cummins shop and have the time. I spent a lot of time up North for this past 3 months. I did not notice if the pumps was saying Bio or #2. Frankly, I assumed that whether it had a sign, it was going to be biodiesel.... not pure #2.

On a slightly different issue, in NH, I started running into pure #2 and it was almost a buck less a gallon as it had no state or federal tax included in it. I asked what the deal was and was told that straight diesel was not taxed as it was not for highway use and was only there for a bunch of people who heat their barns or houses or whatever with diesel or maybe farm use. They told me it was a different color from highway diesel (maybe tinted red ????) and if anyone stopped me and sampled my fuel (who would do that?), that I would be ticketed as it was illegal to run raw diesel on the highway...

Well, I have been through MANY problems with after-processing on both this coach and my 15 Anthem and they were significantly expensive warranty repairs, so I had no desire to screw around with any of that " so I was not going to take any chances of throwing codes or generating problems over 50 - 99 cents a gallon difference in price so I always bought the high priced, "street legal" stuff, but I had never seen this issue discussed on here, and was wondering. Never seen that down south below the Mason-Dixon line. Who knew?

Gary
Lot of stations have dyed diesel, especially in farm communities. It is exactly the same diesel except for the dye and will not bother your engine, but it could bother your pocketbook. However, if you don’t take your Mh to farm sales or stockyards no one will ever know. I guess someone could see you filling with off road diesel and turn you in.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #18

Red Diesel

I was curious so Googled this issue.
Results:
The red dye is used to identify non-taxable fuel.
This is a FEDERAL requirement.
ergo; if you are caught by the "fuel police" the fine is $20 per Gallon or $1000 per incident.
There are cases on record for all states.

Wow, that can buy a lot of fuel. 250 gals at California rates.

Is it worth the risk? Only you can be the judge.

(p.s. = I use to use the red in my boat but it was not on the highways and therefore not subject to federal regulations.)

Fair winds and downhill grades........
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #19

Has anyone noticed and milage difference associated with the different brands of DEF? Walmart vs. Peak?
Motang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #20

By government regulation, DEF is DEF..... there is a mandated concentration of any/all components, so there should be no difference. All DEF is defined as having to be made up of 32.5% urea and 67.5 percent deionized water. The differences should be in how well it is stored (in the ground, no ground water contaminants, in jugs from the source) or how well it is packaged (the previously discussed abuse of "returned" DEF at some stores, etc). But otherwise, DEF is DEF.... the only difference is price and profit.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
How about Blue def!
Think we ought to all by stock in that product
Cablemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #22

BlueDEF is also simply DEF..... different brand.... same mandated composition. Different price. Remember DEF is DEF by regulation. It is exactly the same.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, engine