Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
DI Resin does age out.

I put together another, this time larger DI rinse unit, much like DoggieDaddy posted to use with a pressure washer.

My resin is probably about 5 years old. I pulled the sealed bag out of the cabinet and it had turned dark brown (not good). Loaded the new DI system and checked the TDS....it was 14 part per million which would leave a spotty rinse. The resin did age out.

I found a top brand of resin on ebay repackaged for a good price. DI RO COLOR CHANGING RESIN Deionization 5 LBS BAG - ResinTech MBD-30 | eBay

Moral to the post, don't buy more resin than you can use in the shelf life period of 2 years, it does go bad.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #2

Thanks for the post. My resin is approaching that age. What test kit did you test your water with?
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Robert, I have one like this. https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Magic...l+water+tester
The accuracy is +or- 2% so take a reading on new resin, that gives a starting point.

I also test the DI water before rinsing the MH by letting water run over the resin a few seconds then put a little in a glass and test it with the meter If the TDS are up, I know I will have spots on the final rinse and it's time to change the resin.

Our refillable cartridges take 1.25 lbs of resin, so a 5 lbs bag will give us 4 refills. I also made a resin tamper out of a piece of 1 1/2 inch PVC with an end cap on it. Fits the tubes perfect for tamping the resin tight.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:56 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Chuck, do to the nature of the resin and what it does, I use a Vacuum Sealer when I get my resin..........I make small slits in their bag's and then re-bag and vacuum seal. I have not had any that was stored like this go bad. The area where you live, with the high humidity is for sure a killer on the resin.......if not sealed really good and stored in a dark/cool place. Give the re-sealing with a vacuum sealer a try if you have one. Just a idea to extend the self life.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:45 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks palehorse. This resin I bought for a dollar a pound and bought all they had, which was too much. I didn't loose any money and it was a good lesson. Now I will just buy 2 years worth. Thanks to your post the other day, I shopped ebay and found a company that is repackaging Resin Tech resin for $36. for 5 lbs. I will take better care of this resin and will use your vacuum seal idea.
As for the vacuum sealer, there is a hand model sold at Walmart that we use in the MH and they work great. I'll pick another one up.

Thanks for your input on the other DI post. It was your refillable cartridge post that gave me the push to put together another DI rinse unit. Through shopping I found how really inexpensive and easy it is to put together one of the high price commercial units. I already know how well homemade DI rinse units work, this one will work even better.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #6

Another thing that was mentioned on a marine reef forum was to keep the DI resin moist while storing it by putting a damp paper towel in with the resin. Bulk Reef Supply also confirms the two year shelf life.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I don't think I have to worry about moist in my area I don't feel bad for my resin just being stored in ziploc bags lasting 5 years when the shelf life is only 2 years. Hope all the great tips let others know that resin does need care and it does expire. Still a cheap price to pay for not having to towel dry a MH.