Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

Didn't know I could Love an RV so much

We just got home last night from a 3000 mile trip where we met some other Entegra owners in Texas. I know forums like this are typically filled with information that tend to be about fixing things or possibly on the negative side but I just have to say, whoever designed the "bones" of the Entegra, did a hell of a job.

We load heavy when we travel. If it fits or we MIGHT use something, we pack it. We also always travel with a full water tank and we pull a 8000lb toad. My Entegra is a "Classic" 2015 Aspire with a solid front axle but it rides great and even on the hills keeps up or passes most trucks. One our first day out we encountered 25-30 mph wind gusts and that continued for almost 500 miles. The coach was predictable even in heavy side winds. In Texas just North of Austin, we were traveling along at 70 miles per hour when an accident happened in front of us. I mashed the brake pedal and quickly darted over 2 lanes. This put me on the shoulder of the center median and had I not been able to stop I was eyeing the median as the next step. A maneuver with this much braking and lane changing would typically produce a great deal of body roll or even turning over the coach (which I was expecting). My Entegra stopped "true and where I aimed" without an issue and it felt solid. I'm not sure other coaches would have done the same.

Yes, like all Rvs, there's the trinket things that break due to the vibrations of our highways. But to me it's just part of owning a RV which I've done for the last 40 years. What is important to me is the structure itself. Too many RVs have the "Glitz" and "Glitter" but not safe to drive. I'm sure the CS are better with the additional HP but after a couple 500-600 mile days, I'm sure impressed with mine.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #2

So glad you are pleased with your coach. We feel the same way. Its solidly built on a stable platform. REALLY glad to hear that you were able to avoid the accident unfolding in front of you. It seems no matter how much distance you keep between your coach and the vehicles in front, it disappears in a heart beat in a situation like that. Continued safe travels..!!
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
We just got home last night from a 3000 mile trip where we met some other Entegra owners in Texas. I know forums like this are typically filled with information that tend to be about fixing things or possibly on the negative side but I just have to say, whoever designed the "bones" of the Entegra, did a hell of a job.

We load heavy when we travel. If it fits or we MIGHT use something, we pack it. We also always travel with a full water tank and we pull a 8000lb toad. My Entegra is a "Classic" 2015 Aspire with a solid front axle but it rides great and even on the hills keeps up or passes most trucks. One our first day out we encountered 25-30 mph wind gusts and that continued for almost 500 miles. The coach was predictable even in heavy side winds. In Texas just North of Austin, we were traveling along at 70 miles per hour when an accident happened in front of us. I mashed the brake pedal and quickly darted over 2 lanes. This put me on the shoulder of the center median and had I not been able to stop I was eyeing the median as the next step. A maneuver with this much braking and lane changing would typically produce a great deal of body roll or even turning over the coach (which I was expecting). My Entegra stopped "true and where I aimed" without an issue and it felt solid. I'm not sure other coaches would have done the same.

Yes, like all Rvs, there's the trinket things that break due to the vibrations of our highways. But to me it's just part of owning a RV which I've done for the last 40 years. What is important to me is the structure itself. Too many RVs have the "Glitz" and "Glitter" but not safe to drive. I'm sure the CS are better with the additional HP but after a couple 500-600 mile days, I'm sure impressed with mine.
I got your Bones in My Travel Supreme - yes they did a great Job - and Entegra still has a number of the original crew from TS - if you are ever in the plant just ask, they are still there - IMHO they had the Best Coach then and Entegra probably has the Best Coach Now.

Sure we have all experienced the growing Pains of the original company but with my 12 year old Coach the only thing I might like to have was the Heated Floor - Asked but they were just not ready in 2004 when we designed my Coach - Yes they added it in 06 but then the Height got to be too tall for me and the places I wanted to be able to go.

Just might add to your story - Even with the Good Bones, the Driver still likely had the most to do with the result of the Panic Situation.

Enjoy your purchase, hope you still like it in 2027, as it will just catch up to the 12 years mine has had.

Best of Luck,

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
X3 - When we shopped for our CS, our primary criteria was the 'technical & mechanical' -- the 'bones.' Sure we love all the other creature comforts of our "Classic" 2015 Entegra Cornerstone 45B ...but the 'bones' were what set it apart from other brands we considered.

We LOVE our Entegra and it is has proved to be all & more than we hoped for when we chose our CS. THANK YOU ENTEGRA

Dave & Ginny, Thanks so much for sharing how well your Aspire handled in an emergency situation -- and we are so glad you are all okay ! Wishing you many miles of continued safe RV travels.

Safe Travels To All
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
I got your Bones in My Travel Supreme - yes they did a great Job - and Entegra still has a number of the original crew from TS - if you are ever in the plant just ask, they are still there - IMHO they had the Best Coach then and Entegra probably has the Best Coach Now.

Sure we have all experienced the growing Pains of the original company but with my 12 year old Coach the only thing I might like to have was the Heated Floor - Asked but they were just not ready in 2004 when we designed my Coach - Yes they added it in 06 but then the Height got to be too tall for me and the places I wanted to be able to go.

Just might add to your story - Even with the Good Bones, the Driver still likely had the most to do with the result of the Panic Situation.

Enjoy your purchase, hope you still like it in 2027, as it will just catch up to the 12 years mine has had.

Best of Luck,

JMHO,

Yes, I'm sure my experience pulling baffle-less liquid tanks years ago helped. But the lack of body roll and the reaction of the coach really played a large part.

To be honest, I tend be a critic of RVs I guess because I've been around them so long. There's always little things that I can pick apart but all the important stuff is there. I don't believe there's such a thing as a perfect RV, but the Entegra is pretty damn good and I can only hope the new ones are that much better.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Baffleless tank - brings back a memory from my early years as a diesel mechanic. It was one of my first times driving a 40' tanker half full of glue when I pulled up to a stop sign. I took my foot off the brake and prepared to select first gear when al of a sudden the truck lurched ahead into the intersection as the glue slugged forward in the tank with cross traffic bearing down on me. Then the slug went rearward and the tractor-trailer backed up to where it was when I slammed on the brakes and let the rig shake for a bit. Good thing no one behind me pulled up closer when I lurched ahead. That was the last time I ever took my foot off the brake on one of those stops. I also learned real quick how to time my shifts to the forward sloshes rather than the rearward sloshes.

As to our Cornerstone. I can't even begin to describe how much I enjoy driving this coach. I've driven lots of coaches during my articles and every time I can't wait to get back behind the wheel of my Cornerstone.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #7

Glad you made it through that scary moment. Remember how heavy these rigs are; its always good to slow down in traffic and leave more room in front of you for others mistakes.

Happy travels
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post

I have essentially the same coach you do, a 17 Insignia with solid axle. On my way back from Atlanta, I encountered 40mph crosswinds. I got knocked around a bit, but the coach was stable and handled the winds very well. I was impressed. I love my Entegra!
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Dave & Ginny, Glad you love your coach. Most of us do too. One thing though I think you were traveling much too fast especially with an 8000 lb toad.
It seems to me to many people with DP's travel too fast, where are you going in a hurry , you'll die soon enough. Slow down and take time to smell the roses life is to short.
Just imagine if you had a blowout at 70 mph?????????????

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #10

Cool story.

I agree that the original TS design has stood the test of time.

I couldn't be happier with our Aspire, except not spending enough time in it.

We've had some major issues, but they seem much easier to handle knowing how nice the coach is when everything is humming along.

Thanks for sharing,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Dave & Ginny, Glad you love your coach. Most of us do too. One thing though I think you were traveling much too fast especially with an 8000 lb toad.
It seems to me to many people with DP's travel too fast, where are you going in a hurry , you'll die soon enough. Slow down and take time to smell the roses life is to short.
Just imagine if you had a blowout at 70 mph?????????????

Tom, I think you're wrong.

I drove and taught for 20 years over 1.3 million accident free miles in Charter buses and big trucks. I can assure you that a slow moving vehicle regardless of size in a fast flowing traffic will cause more harm. ALWAYS go with the flow and don't become an obstacle for other drivers. Rather than focusing on the speedometer, your better off focusing on driver distractions and recognizing your fatigue "tell tell signs".

If you're worried about a blow out, hang up the keys and go into a retirement home. Yes I've had blowouts over the years and the #1 rule is relax and maintain control, never hit the brakes. This includes acceleration on steer tire blowouts to prevent losing control. A blow out at 60 or 70 doesn't really make much difference if handled correctly.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #12

I thought I was the only one that believes slow vehicle cause more trouble than those that travel with traffic.

thanks for the conformation.
jobobjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Tom, thanks for posting the realty of MH's being built to drive the speed limit. One of the biggest dangers on the Interstates is those doing 55 MPH and all the trucks making lane changes to avoid them. I dislike those drivers as much as the truckers do. There are lots of highways with 55 MPH speed limits for those that wish to drive at those speeds. We take them all the time when we want to slow down and see the scenery.

One thing nice about the Entegra's at 70 MPH, they just float along. I had a SOB that was a danger to drive at 70, that thing felt as if it was coming apart. (it probably was)
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote