Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #1

Diesel fuel additives and Aquahot

We were b gone for 2 weeks and last night came back to find my burner green switch off and a black soot spot under AH exhaust. After several resets got the burner to ignite only to have a huge cloud of white smoke belch out of exhaust. The burner was also sputtering so...turned it off. Forgot to mention that the first few times it wouldn't ignite the motor only ran about 5 seconds and stopped. Now, I'm guessing I have a fuel delivery issue...either clogged fuel filter or nozzle. Here's the thing, before I left on Dec 15 I added biocide and fuel tank cleaner to the fuel tank. I'm guessing that had something to do with the AH. The AH is 10 microns. I ordered the nozzle and fuel filter and will work on it next week. This is something to be aware of.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelling View Post
We were b gone for 2 weeks and last night came back to find my burner green switch off and a black soot spot under AH exhaust. After several resets got the burner to ignite only to have a huge cloud of white smoke belch out of exhaust. The burner was also sputtering so...turned it off. Forgot to mention that the first few times it wouldn't ignite the motor only ran about 5 seconds and stopped. Now, I'm guessing I have a fuel delivery issue...either clogged fuel filter or nozzle. Here's the thing, before I left on Dec 15 I added biocide and fuel tank cleaner to the fuel tank. I'm guessing that had something to do with the AH. The AH is 10 microns. I ordered the nozzle and fuel filter and will work on it next week. This is something to be aware of.
I will be very surprised if the biocides is the problem. The tank cleaner may be a different story. If they did plug the aqua hot filter I would be concerned about the engine filters. I think the secondary filter for the engine is 2 micron. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Aqua-Hot national call center folks are very helpful with questions / issues...
Old 01-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
The Aqua-Hot national call center folks are very helpful with questions / issues...
Pretty bold statement to make on the Entegra board as I'm guessing that a couple people on here will disagree with you just a tad!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Different experiences do occur. In three separate calls to the call center over 2 months the techs were courteous and knowledgeable, based on their ability to talk me through a restart of a 'dead' system, fix a fluid leak, and untangle what was likely some sort of air block.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #6

Yes I'm concerned about engine filters since I just went through same thing withat my diesel Jeep. Have AH and Cummins appointments for next week hope it makes it the 250 miles.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
When you added the additives, did you put fuel in at the same time or just add the additives without fueling or moving the coach? It does sound like a fuel issue. As a quick try you can pick up a WIX 33109 fuel filter at a local auto parts store and try changing the filter. Pour the contents of the fuel filter in a glass jar and see if there is any contamination.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #8

Chuck I added the additives to a full tank and ran the engine for an hour. I will try that fuel filter. The coach just turned one year seems earely otherwise.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Roger, adding additives without adding fuel does not mix the additives with the fuel. There is a chance that the additives did not mix and the fuel mixture to the AH was too lean if just the additives were sucked into the AH fuel system.

When adding any type of fuel additives, it should be done while refueling to get an even mixture. Best thing to do now is drive the MH and top the fuel off to hopefully get a good mix on the additives.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:43 AM   #10

Fuel additives

I was told, quite emphatically, by Spartan CS to never put additives in the fuel. How many of you guys use additives and if you do what do you use and how often?
weirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirba View Post
I was told, quite emphatically, by Spartan CS to never put additives in the fuel. How many of you guys use additives and if you do what do you use and how often?
I use an algaecide here in FL before storage every year. If not algae can form and I have had that before...not fun. I am trying this one this year. Robot Check

During operation I don't use any fuel additives and I think that is what Spartan is referring to. However sitting for 6 months in hot humid climate it is advisable to add an additive to prevent algae.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #12

Diesel fuel additives are hotly debated on other forums and appear to be about equally divided between those that regularly use and those that never use.

Why Spartan told you not to use I do not understand as in my mind it would be CUMMINS that should make the recommendation. My understanding is that CUMMINS basically states that we should use a high quality diesel fuel. I've never understood how we make that decision other then I buy fuel at high volume stations assuming that high turn over keeps up the quality.

CUMMINS however also markets several types of fuel additive so again in my mind they are suggesting we use an additive and of course it should be CUMMINS labeled.

I have stated before that personally after owning diesels for 40+ years I ALWAYS use an additive at each fill up. HOWSE is my prefferred brand and while parked in Florida for the winter I add STARTRON to a full tank as a biocide.

It is also important to keep the tank FULL during storage or periods of inactivity.

JMHO

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #13

I agree that in an ideal world if you fill up every tank with 100% clean fresh diesel you don't need additives. The fact is most diesel fuel is contaminated with water or worse. That means if it sits it will grow plant life. Most marine diesel engines rely on fuel polishing system to prevent biomass from clogging the second or both fuel filters. We depend on biocides and stabilizers and perhaps more frequent filter changes.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

With our last coach I added biocide and a fuel stabilizer to the fuel. Shortly thereafter I experienced Aqua-Hot burner issues. I replaced the nozzle and filter, checked the pressure and all that but the nozzle failed within a few days and I had more smoke again.

When I talked to Aqua-Hot he asked if I was using any additives. I told him I was and he said that I shouldn't use them. The additives never totally suspend in the fuel and eventually settle out. They are thicker than the fuel and when they go through the super small opening in the burner nozzle they erode the orifice and the nozzle is toast.

I work on oil burners in portable heaters and pressure washers and they use larger nozzles, at least 1.00 GPH. They are miniscule as well but the 0.35 GPH nozzle used in the Aqua-Hot is upper small and doesn't take much to mess it up. I no longer use additives.

Then again, I really don't need biocide because our coach only sits still in winter and no self-respecting organism would want to live in my fuel tank in Wisconsin's cold winter temps.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel