Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have seen gelled fuel many, many, many times over the years. If the fuel is treated before the engine is run, no problem. But if the filters get plugged with wax, they will have to be changed.
Most problems were with American truckers coming up in the winter and getting caught with summer fuel.
Also a problem with the new trucks that were "Piggy-Backed" up from the factory in Denton. Of course they would have summer fuel, so we would fill the tanks with winter fuel, but sometimes we would get caught!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Winder taker I totally agree !

I have been frequently " chastised " for recommending fuel treatment but with more then 50 years of being involved or owning diesel powered trucks, equipment and Motorhomes I use an additive at every fuel fill all year.

My preferred choice is HOWSE, Power Service or Cummins branded fuel additive. The first two are available at WalMart or most truck stops.
Thanx Brian... I have to say that I've been very pleased with Power Service, both Summer and Winter. I know it costs a few extra bucks to use it all the time but as for me, I feel it's worth it. I've got a 2013 Silverado 3500HD Duramax SRW towing a 16,000 pounds Cedar Creek Fiver. She tows like an absolute "BEAST" and hums like a purring kitten.

After you own a vehicle for awhile you can just "tell" if things are OK under the hood "by the way your truck rides and sounds". Fingers Crossed here but I can tell you that my Duramax never misses a beat so I'll stay with the Power Service. Also, I get around 12 mpg towing my Cedar Creek on fairly level terrain with it on cruise at 62-64 mph. No towing and taking it easy I can squeak about 18 mpg out of her if I don't "goose her" too much!

AFTERTHOUGHT... I use a "glass measuring cup" with "ounces clearly marked on it". I try to calculate fairly closely as to how much Additive to put in so I don't over/under treat my fuel. CAUTION...DO NOT USE A PLASTIC MEASURING CUP AS THE ADDITIVE WILL "EAT" THE PLASTIC AND TURN IT INTO A GUMMY SUBSTANCE THAT WOULD NOT BE GOOD FOR OUR ENGINES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #17

Don't worry about putting too much additive into your fuel tank. The addition additive will not hurt your system.

Remember also.....

most of today's fuel has bio in it. This means you MUST double the amount of additive.

I just picked my entegra up at the "mother Ship" yesterday and was driving in -17 degree temps without an issue.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #18

With 30+ years in Diesel engine maintenance (mining/marine), not treating your fuel is rolling the dice. Power Service is what was always used, glad Cummins finally approved it.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Diesel Fuel Gelling

Filter cold plug point is some where near 10 to 15 degrees below cloud point.

Cloud point for #2 last week was a +2 from the terminal we were lifting from, so the cold filter plug point would be around a -8. We are adding additive that gets us another 10 degrees we hope for a -18 cold filter plug point.

No customer complaints yet.

These unexpected polar waves or whatever they call it do catch the refiners by surprise and they may not have the cloud point down low enough to deal with this temp.
No matter what additive you are using we feel it's only going to add another 10 to 12 degrees of protection.
Cloud point is key if it's high (summer fuel as some have said) you headed for trouble in sub zero weather.

One thing going for our coaches is the fuel tank is located between the frame rails and some what protected from the cold air going down the road.
And remember that Cummins is returning warm fuel back to the tank from the engine.
Everyone stay safe and warm.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
And remember that Cummins is returning warm fuel back to the tank from the engine.
Everyone stay safe and warm.
Richard
Yes Cummins is but until the fuel in the tank has been warmed for some miles it is still too cold. I have seen trucks jelled that would only idle and as soon as put in gear would quit, and I've seen some partially gel and have to be driven slowly to a repair shop. I've only seen once when the weather warmed and the unit ran normally again without some repair. Normally the paraffin clogs the fuel filter and does not dissolve and the filter must be replaced.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Yes Cummins is but until the fuel in the tank has been warmed for some miles it is still too cold. I have seen trucks jelled that would only idle and as soon as put in gear would quit, and I've seen some partially gel and have to be driven slowly to a repair shop. I've only seen once when the weather warmed and the unit ran normally again without some repair. Normally the paraffin clogs the fuel filter and does not dissolve and the filter must be replaced.

Yes filter maintenance is key also. We had a customer with a 30 micro filter on a dispenser plug or nearly plug yesterday when the morning temps have been running below zero over the last few morning. Don't think the filter had been change for awhile.
We had no reported trucks or equipment with gelling issues. It's really rears its head with the day time temps remain low over several days.
These low temps are not normal for our part of the state.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #22

We will be pulling out of North East Pa on Sunday morning, heading for Naples. Temps expected to be 5 below when we leave.

Coming from a lifetime of owning trucks, I wait until winter fuel is at our stations and fuel up with that. I also have already dosed it up with power service, as I do every winter before we head out.
It is also sitting in a heated garage, so the fuel and tanks will be warm when we start, and hot fuel returning after a few miles down the road.

The one additional thing I would recommend to anyone reading this thread, is don't waste your money on cheaper additives.......THEY ARE JUNK.

I have bought other additives over the years owning trucks, and some of the additive itself will actually freeze up if left out in the cold.........so think about what it does in your tank and filters ???????

Also, I believe this was touched on, but once you have treated your fuel, be sure to run your generator and Aqua Hot long enough to be sure you have run the treated fuel into both of them.
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel