Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #1

Diesel Gel

We have a 2019 Aspire. We are in Ohio where it’s going to get Dow to 10 degrees. If I had a anti Jel will that effect my Aquahot? TIA
Armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armye7 View Post
We have a 2019 Aspire. We are in Ohio where it’s going to get Dow to 10 degrees. If I had a anti Jel will that effect my Aquahot? TIA
No, in fact you will need it in order to be able to use it.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #3

Different diesel fuel is sold , depending on expected temps in the region , if you've filled the coach in the last three months in Ohio , you'll have winter dress diesel that should be good to below zero before needing additional gel protection.
Flip side is , if you had a half tank of fuel from July in AZ , you'll have to add anti-gel .
JMHO: My coach doesn't have aqua hot , but I'm thinking gelled diesel fuel would stop it cold , so adding wouldn't hurt.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #4

You don't need anti gell if you bought fuel in the cold north this winter.

Summer or southern fuel may need it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #5

Buy Blended fuel. A little howes wouldn't hurt either.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:57 AM   #6

NEVER trust the fuel stations to have the right additive in their fuel for winter use. Always carry and use the anti-gel additives yourself to assure you don't have a very costly problem with the fuel. Too much anti-gel will not hurt your diesel.

Look closely at the directions of the anti-gel. If you're using bio-diesel (which is usually all you can find), you have to double the amount of product used
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #7

Any chance the block heater also warms the fuel tank?
Old 01-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #8

I store my coach in Ohio every winter, I use anti-gel additive and never had a problem. Rather be safe than sorry....
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Block heat is for the engine in the rear, fuel tank is in the front. The Aqua Hot is in the middle with no fuel heater. It's not worth taking the chance if it's going to get cold enough the gel diesel. It would be nice if the block heater would do that.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #10

The block heater has nothing to do with the fuel. Since your AquaHot feeds off the same fuel tank, then I would think that fuel gelling would be as much a problem for the AquaHot as it would be for your Cummins.

Others have commented about "winter diesel" up North. That is an important issue. In my commercial truck driving days many many years ago, we did not worry about fuel in PA, OH, and Michigan as our supplier always provided winterized diesel fuel to our terminal tanks. I try very hard to avoid any of those temperatures, but if I found myself facing a fuel gelling situation, I would be dumping in the good fuel gel.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Others have commented about "winter diesel" up North. That is an important issue. In my commercial truck driving days many many years ago, we did not worry about fuel in PA, OH, and Michigan as our supplier always provided winterized diesel fuel to our terminal tanks.
And that's OK for commercial drivers, since you'll do enough miles to work through everything in the tank in probably just a week or two.

But I know that I have no more than half a tank of winter diesel in my coach. The other half of my tank is from some combination of summer diesel and southern states (which may run summer diesel year-round). And actually, I last topped off my tank in either October or November. At that time, even NH might not have been running winter diesel.

Pretty sure that I'm going to end up keeping a box of anti-gel additive in the coach and just putting a bottle in with every fill-up regardless of where I am or what month it is. It doesn't do any harm and it's cheap insurance.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #12

Spoke with Aquahot this morning and they said do not add anything. They said the anti-Jel will change the particulars of the diesel fuel and cause the nozzle to clog and fail. Has anyone else heard of this? Chris at Entegra says it’s ok to add but Aquahot says not to add. Looks like temps lows will be in the mid 20s and highs will be in the 30s. Not sure what to do now.
Armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Nope, it does not..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armye7 View Post
Looks like temps lows will be in the mid 20s and highs will be in the 30s. Not sure what to do now.
If You have filled locally in the last month or so... with those expected temps, I would not worry.. gets down into the teens may be a different skunk to deal with..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel