Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #1

Dip Stick or Specs

So I researched the threads on changing oil in a 2015 Aspire. ISL9 450hp
I changed the filter and replaced with Fleetguard. I got all this from the "sticky" thread. Great information. I filled with 26 quarts. This included filling the filter prior to putting in on. Now the dip stick shows the oil level is over the "full" mark. Should I go by the dip stick or what Cummins says
(26quarts w/filter) Thanks.
Deere Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 08:58 PM   #2

What Cummins says. Dip sticks in motorhomes are frequently off.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:51 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
What Rob said. If you are on level ground and have the correct amount of oil. Run the engine to operating temperature temperature, then let it sit for a few minutes. Check the oil level, if need, calibrate the dip stick with the edge of a file. My 21 is showing over full from the factory.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I was not aware the oil filter need to be filled prior to putting in 26 quarts?
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - There is some variance in the correct amount of oil an L9 will take depending on the oil pan. There are two different depths. Contact Cummins with your engine serial number if you want to know the exact capacity.

Tom
Old 07-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post

I don’t know if it’s necessary or not but I always do so it gets oil pressure faster on initial start up after changing the oil. The bearings don’t see oil pressure until the oil filter fills up.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:

I believe it is 26 quarts including the filter.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:28 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I don’t know if it’s necessary or not but I always do so it gets oil pressure faster on initial start up after changing the oil. The bearings don’t see oil pressure until the oil filter fills up.
I had mine changed at Speedco a few months ago, and the tech put on the filter, filled with 26 quarts, then had me start it. It ran for about 10 seconds and they were yelling "shut it off" which I did. He did not have the filter tightened enough. In 10 seconds, it pumped out 2 quarts of oil (I ask him how much they had to put back in). I did not feel great leaving that day, and monitored it for a while since I was driving from Dallas to Palm Springs area.

Like you, I don't know if putting oil in the filter is necessary, I never have.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:36 AM   #9

Total oil quantity-- say 26 quarts, is ALL the oil you add-- whether poured into the filter or into the crankcase.

And, I would suggest, before marking the FULL mark, that on these large engines, that a few minutes is not enough for the oil to all drain into the pan. Minimum an hour, and better if overnight when you KNOW it has all returned to the pan and is no longer hot.

If you feel you need to fill the oil filter, be sure to fill the INLETS, not the OUTLET, so that oil is filtered as well. The small outer holes are the INLETS, the center hole the OUTLET.

Totally agree with "go by the oil quantity specified by the engine manufacturer, not the dipstick. The dipstick was NOT made by your engine manufacturer.

Safest on any DP to CALIBRATE THE ENGINE OIL DIPSTICK:

At the next oil change, drain oil, remove old filter (as usual).

Then install the drain plug and new oil filter and add the engine's correct oil capacity LESS THE NUMBER OF QUARTS you want between the "ADD" and "FULL" marks (let's say 2 quarts). So for an engine with 20 quart capacity you would add 18 quarts.

Run the engine a few minutes, shut off and wait until oil has descended into the pan (at least an hour). Pull the dip stick and use a file or dremel tool to mark the oil level "ADD".

Add the remaining two quarts, let the oil settle in the pan, pull the dipstick and mark this the "FULL" mark.

In many/most cases, you will find that your engine "throws out" the access oil and then "consumption" settles down to next to nothing. Put in the correct amount and your "consumption" issues may go away.

This applies to all ages (including brand new) of motorhomes and boats with every brand of engine.Also, when checking the oil level with the dipstick it is safest to do it in the morning after the oil has had all night to flow back to the pan.

Do not add oil until the level reaches the ADD mark.

Finally, make a sticker to affix near oil fill: OIL CAPACITY INCLUDING FILTER: xx QUARTS.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #10

Adding to what wolf10 said. Some large Diesel engines will slobber the first quart or 2 off pretty fast and then stop “using” oil. Usually coating your towed with a film of oil in the process. In this situation it’s not necessary to keep topping off the oil level constantly. Just monitor the level that it’s happy at which many times is the add mark.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #11

Dip Stick or Specs

Quote:
I had mine changed at Speedco a few months ago, and the tech put on the filter, filled with 26 quarts, then had me start it. It ran for about 10 seconds and they were yelling "shut it off" which I did. He did not have the filter tightened enough. In 10 seconds, it pumped out 2 quarts of oil (I ask him how much they had to put back in). I did not feel great leaving that day, and monitored it for a while since I was driving from Dallas to Palm Springs area.

Like you, I don't know if putting oil in the filter is necessary, I never have.[emoji782]

Chances are the old filter gasket was stuck on the filter housing and the tech didn’t notice or even know to watch for this. Screwed the new filter on top of the old gasket (O-ring) and thus the bad leak. Luckily it happened there instead of down the road. One of many reasons I do my own maintenance.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #12

Thanks for all the information. I asked Cummins and the tech said 23. I asked did that include a filter change? ( I read the filter held 3 quarts) He hesitated for a minute and said yes. That moment of silence concerned me because 23 + 3 for the filter gets me to the 26 quarts. I am calling again and see if i can get another tech. I will follow up.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:02 PM   #13

Well I reached out to Cummins again and gave Tech my serial number. He said somewhere between 23 and 27 quarts. Depends on oil pan installed. He did not know which one was installed on the engine. Said if there was a spacer between the pan and motor it was probably 26 or 27 quarts. I don't see any spacer. Anyone have a contact name at Cummins?