Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I am in the group that has no trouble with DirecTV. Call customer service. Tell them I need to change my service location. They ask me for my new address. Sometimes it comes up that I am in an RV, but I don't offer that, because it makes no difference )sometimes one can talk too much, JMHO). 9 times out of 10 they see the "new" location in my history. You do need to know what county you're as that is part of their location assignment system. I don't do this change for local stations while I am on the road (that would probably result in more confusion). That's what I have an OTA antenna for.

I have never had to yell at them, get cross with them, etc, etc. Spoonfull of sugar seems to work just fine. Dish did have a special section that you could ask for. I have had both. Notethat if you want NFL Sunday Ticket, you need to stay with DirecTV.
Yep, 10-15 minutes to get locals rarely have any problem.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
If you have the factory installed Dome, it's free, just change the dip switches.

If you have the Wineguard Traveler the change over kit is $300. plus $400. dealer labor, or not to hard of a DIY.

Or you can change to an RF Mogul satellite dish for $1,995. and change from Dish to Direct and all types of receivers by just changing the LNB's

We tried a new twist last year that worked great for us. We have always used antenna for local as the hassle of calling either of the Sat companies is just not worth it. Last year due to Hurricane Irma, we wanted our locals to see the damage in our neighborhood. We purchased a Amazon Fire stick and now stream our locals from home leaving our home system active. All of our normal shows are recorded and I can stream them at anytime with the Firestick. Just another new technology work around that only cost $29.95 with no monthly fees. However good wifi is a must and that is $20. a month. Streaming is also a backup if you are parked in the trees. No need to setup a portable dish.
Curious about the Firestick. We use a Verizon Jet Pac for our wifi needs and just upgraded to their Beyond Unlimited data plan. However, after you use 22 GB of data in your 30 day service period, they say they can throttle back your speed in high use areas. We noticed a significant slowing of our devices in the last 10 days of our period. How does this affect the ability to stream?
Old 04-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Curious about the Firestick. We use a Verizon Jet Pac for our wifi needs and just upgraded to their Beyond Unlimited data plan. However, after you use 22 GB of data in your 30 day service period, they say they can throttle back your speed in high use areas. We noticed a significant slowing of our devices in the last 10 days of our period. How does this affect the ability to stream?
I use the Mobily with the same data but so far I have not been throttled back. I can't say it won't happen but so far so good. I don't abuse it and only stream when necessary.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
If you switch your Verizon Jet PAC to the FMCA plan you get unlimited data with no throttling until 25 GB for 49.99/mo. Next best thing since the Mobley plan was pulled. Haven't priced the Beyond Limited plan but it might save you a little too. It does require a 2 yr. commitment and FMCA membership.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Chuck and others

There is a completely different section of Direct TV that deals with DNS. The typical person who first answers the phone may not even know that it exists. You have to ask for the DNS group, and you will be transferred to a section that only deals with that service. I found no problems getting it although I have DISH at home. I had to send them a photocopy of my registration to prove that I had a motorcoach, and one or two other documents and then they set it up. It was not a problem. Screaming at the bone-headed customer service reps trying to get my "locals" changed day by day on a long trip was not worth the hassle.... many were complete morons (failed to know the difference between a motorcoach and a mobile home.... very frustrating)!!!! Not worth the blood pressure elevation.....

I have a large Direct DVR as my receiver and DVR all in one box. Don't know the model but it was the best that they had about 3 years ago when I bought the coach.... maybe 2 megabytes of storage. However, we tend to watch about 50% network TV and 50% sat channels, so we have it all programmed in and as long as the Trav-ler is locked to the sats, I get all of that automatically whenever it is on the network or sat.... and we simply watch it when convenient. I would never go back to the frustration of changing local channels!!!! Never !

Chuck: I heard that Direct got sued by the local channels because they want paid if your eyes are viewing the locals on their system (local antenna) so they want their pennies a day for your viewership. Dish did not for some reason, but my understanding is that Direct came up with the DNS service idea as a way to deal with the who gets paid problem.... the locals in NYC or LA are the ones that get paid for you viewing. I could care less.... I just wanted hassle-free viewing of what I wanted to watch....

Gary
I will have to try DNS. Sometimes we have had no trouble changing but there have been multiple times, after letting the first person on the line fumble through trying to understand what I'm talking about, I end up just asking for their supervisor. This USUALLY works.
At best it has taken about 10 minutes, record time was when we were at Perry....just short of 2 hours and this was with someone who DID have a clue. At the end she said she had to delete some previous info in order for this one to finally take.
This was ALMOST to the point of being amusing, the lack of competence, after the first 30-40 minutes it became a quest....I was multitasking so what the heck I decided I was on a mission and was going to see it through.
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #20

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygge View Post
I will have to try DNS. Sometimes...
Chuck,

Here’s the info about the process and paperwork for DNS. I found it worked very well to get my DNS setup. The only thing you might want to check is if the mailing address is still correct.

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS...RQWFhBbQ%3D%3D
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #21

Thanks Bill for digging out the DNS information. Very helpful for those that do not yet have the service. Also, not surprised that others have had negative and frustrating interactions with Direct customer service. I’m pretty sure it is common for many who try to move locals around. We are big national network news junkies and we like to know what is going on in the world daily, regardless of where we happen to be when traveling. For us, it has been worth a lot more than $15 a month drain to the kitty!

A remaining, minor, frustration is that 5 or so years ago, if you got DNS service, you got both east coast AND west coast feeds and had your choice of which to chose on the TV (simultaneously). Those accounts have been grandfathered and remain if you never cancelled the service. However, that policy was discontinued, and now the FCC and DIRECT choose which feed you are going to have and the choice is based on your registration state. My understanding is that if you are registered east of the Mississippi River, you are assigned NYC as the source, and if you are west of the Mississippi you are assigned the LA feed.

As I said earlier, I am happy to pay 15 bucks more for the ease of National, everywhere Viewing... no scanning for locals, no finding 40 Spanish or Vietnamese channels to find ABC or whatever, or other language channels on the UHF/VHF antenna, no silly CS interactions... Easey peasey!,

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #22

What it all boils down to is what works for you. There is more on local channels than news. I don't want to watch NY or LA or pay $15 for the privilege. Maybe I'm just lucky when I change my service address, but until I have problems doing so I'll continue on present course. BTW there is a number to call that bypasses all the prompts. 800 769-4635
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
I guess we are a variant of Dave's approach as well as a few others. Step 1 is to get an adult beverage and a comfortable seat. Mentally prepare for a personal challenge but plan to use sugar vs vinegar.

I only do it if we are going to be somewhere for an extended time - otherwise we use the OTA. Works most of the time.

If I can't get the CSR to understand (80% of the time), after a while I politely ask to drop the service. Immediate transfer to "Account Retention" or something like that. Interestingly we then get instant satisfaction. The account service location is switched and apologies for the former rep. I have been told on more than one occasion that I had been completely misled and changing service location is simple.

Finally a big Thank You to the account retention rep and refill my beverage while watching what I want to at the appropriate time - often with some services added for free for 3-4 months.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I went and looked at my accoubt online. Clicked on change and got a message that I couldn't make any changes and would be required to chang my account via phone. I suspect they no longer offer my package and want me to sign another contract for two years. My previous two year agreement was up in 2012.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #25

Hi rnorthway,
Not sure if your question was answered as a lot of personal experiences was provided. In our experiences with Dish the biggest drawback was seemingly always getting an off-shore representative who didn’t understand that we are in a roaming RV, in addition to clearly speaking English. A few years back I spoke with an on-shore representative and since (knock on wood) haven’t had a problem. Now when I call to change an area for local channels I state that I own my equipment, I’m a recreational vehicle and I want the local channels for zip code (the area you’re at). And our only cost for Dish was what monthly programming we want and the initial cost of the receiver we purchased at Camping World. Our satellite system has dip switches under the rooftop dome that must be set for Dish or DirectTV respectively. Hope this also provides some insight to Dish as there are many ways to get locals. The cheapest easiest way is over the air antenna if you are reasonably within a broadcasting area.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:57 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVsCoach View Post
Hi rnorthway,
The cheapest easiest way is over the air antenna if you are reasonably within a broadcasting area.
There’s the rub. Where we spend our summers there is NO over the air reception at all. Many other places we have visited are the same. If you plan to see this great country you won’t get over the air reception all the time. This why we love having DNS. I haven’t wasted a minute of my time or been aggravated dealing with dopey satellite phone agents for years.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #27

Amen!

If something takes two drinks and 45 minutes of my life to get it accomplished, potentially every day or two, then it is not going to happen more than once or twice!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
What it all boils down to is what works for you. There is more on local channels than news. I don't want to watch NY or LA or pay $15 for the privilege. Maybe I'm just lucky when I change my service address, but until I have problems doing so I'll continue on present course. BTW there is a number to call that bypasses all the prompts. 800 769-4635
Regrettably I believe that number has been discontinued, but it worked great while it was available.

Another gripe I had with DTV last night was adding services that I had not ordered. DTV explained that since I had an advanced receiver that they automatically added those services for me as they were sure I would enjoy them and the extra charges that came in the next bill. The CS rep just couldn't understand why that pissed me off :-(, but did offer to remove them and credit our account.

My problem with DNS is that our M.H. is registered in SD and I don't want West Coast feeds as we are usually in the Eastern time zone. Not sure how to get around that, but will give it a try. Viewing programming OTA works sometimes, but we like to record for viewing later and that is a problem.

Tags
directv