Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Directv DNS

Any updates on Directv DNS?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #2

Ron

Explain your question further, please....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I am referring to the loss of NDS
Old 06-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #4

Ron

I had heard that they were going to drop the service but had not heard that it actually happened. Sorry.

You will find that i have several threads up here on my final problems with DirecTV and my process of telling DirecTV to go jump in the lake and my switch to DISH. What a difference. Direct was nothing but a pain in the Butt and the national DNS service was the only thing that kept me with the company. If you decide to make the switch to Dish, there are several long threads up here in the past 6 months that extensively detail what is involved and step by step processes.

Good luck .... Direct is a smelly pile of dog poop ....

Gary
Old 06-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Check the Technology section on irv2. All the latest and greatest.
Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?53
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #6

Gary

That link goes no where for me....

Gary
Old 06-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I lost ABC, all others still working.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:38 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We recently had Direct TV at our farm to move a satellite dish and install a genie system. The tech had been with Direct for 8-10 years. He said within two years direct satellite service would be gone in favor of streaming services, etc. If you go to the AT&T website, the Direct TV link is buried. Perhaps Entegra should stop adding the Satellite Dish and instead add a super strong cell Phone antenna to pull in signals, WiFi extender and upgraded OTA antenna. Just a thought.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
We recently had Direct TV at our farm to move a satellite dish and install a genie system. The tech had been with Direct for 8-10 years. He said within two years direct satellite service would be gone in favor of streaming services, etc. If you go to the AT&T website, the Direct TV link is buried. Perhaps Entegra should stop adding the Satellite Dish and instead add a super strong cell Phone antenna to pull in signals, WiFi extender and upgraded OTA antenna. Just a thought.
I was told the same thing by another installer that does both Dish and Direct installation. Soon AT&T would go all streaming and the reason for purchasing Direct. In the same conversation, nothing on DISH to his knowledge.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:54 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
How is that going to work when you are in the boonies where there is no cell service?
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #11

Alecd:

You can pretty much forget about WIFI based television in this world of RV travel..... I can count on the fingers of two hands the number of RV parks that I have ever been in that could handle even email reliably at times other than 2 o'clock in the morning. Do yourself a favor and find a sat solution (or cell when available) that works.... most of our experience with WIFI based solutions have been terrible, cell better, sat the best (and DISH the only real option for American companies).

Gary
Old 06-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
How is that going to work when you are in the boonies where there is no cell service?
Just my thoughts after having both services. While Direct seems to have taken the attitude that they hate RV accounts, DISH has done just the opposite welcoming RV accounts. Even making their app RV user friendly for activating services, etc. Direct now wants another $200 to make any changes. It could be possible that Direct could careless if a customer has cell service when traveling.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #13

DNS

I called them last week. I bypassed customer service and went right to customer retention. Always seem to have better luck there.

This is the story. We still get DNS. Specifically we get the E/W feeds from New York and Los Angeles. We get NBC and FOX. ABC and CBS are not available as of June 1st. This is not because of Congress of the FCC. This is a dispute over money, ABC and CBS are wanting an increase in subscriber fees and DirecTV is balking. Not the first time this has happened. I was told ABC and CBS would become available as soon at the two companies were done fighting over my money. Pun intended.

I did whine excessively, yet politely re the new monthly bill and was given a 12 month $40 credit. took a little sting out of it.

Now as of a few days ago we 'believe' CBS is again available. It requires a phone call to DirecTV which I will do today.

Thats our current situation.

Ken

2018 Entegra Aspire 44W .
Ken Sair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Unlike many of you who have ditched DTV, I have been pretty happy with them over the last 18 years in my S&B and last 10 years adding my RV. Also had a lake house with 2 receivers for a number of years. $7 a month for extra receivers and no charge for installation at the lake house, or the RV. I currently have a 5 receiver Genie and 2 other receivers in the S&B and 2 in the RV. That being said I had never heard of DNS nor explored having the networks, local or East/West feeds, in the RV. Most places have cable for the locals or we can use the over-air which is pretty strong. Over the years I've had good luck with service, even after AT&T took over, and I like the NFL ticket, so I've stuck with them.

So I called today and used Ken's trick of going to customer loyalty as they called it. They spoke with tech on my behalf then transferred me over to tech so I could ask all my questions. I was told DNS as of June 1 was not available and not grandfathered in. I could only get the local channels where my service address was located. End of story.

Next question, could I change my 'service' address to where my RV was located and get those local channels? Yes. Can I call weekly with a new 'service' address? Yes. Can I try it now? Yes. Gave her the address of the campground and bingo, it was done! All four networks populated my guide and all 4 worked! How often can I do this? No limit! How do I get in touch with you next time? 800-531-5000 ask for tech. She did say that while the 'service' address can be changed on line she gets several calls from RVers who said it was easier to just call tech.

For now it all looks good, the proof will be what happens next time I move and call to change my 'service' address. Since we are often in over-air range of a major TV market, 30-50 miles, we won't have to change it every time. Since this changes for my S&B also I wonder if we are getting no locals there, or the locals of our last 'service' address. Also plan to change the 'service' address to the S&B before we get back!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv