Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Disconnecting the tag dump

Should anyone else need to do this:

Our 2015 Aspire does not have the three-position tag dump switch. We have a situation where we need to back uphill into a lot, and there is no fuse or other convenient way to disable the automatic tag dump when the coach is put into reverse. A call to Spartan informed us that the workaround is to disconnect the valve from the system. On each side, close to the tag axle air springs, there is a valve for the dump. Pull the connector to disconnect the wiring, and the air will not dump when put into reverse. So, Saturday morning, I guess we need to jack it up high enough to disconnect the wiring, then see if it all works.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I had the same problem on a loaner 2014 Aspire that I was "drive way testing". I needed to prevent Tag from dumping when in reverse to get extra height when backing uphill out of my driveway. Support contacted Spartan and was told how to install a temporary switch to prevent Tag from dumping when in reverse. Worked great. I then ordered a 2016 Aspire and all coaches came equipped to override the Tag dump starting 2016. I was not the first that needed to override it. It can be done with a simple on/off switch.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #3

Well, hmm... Entegra support told me to call Spartan. The guy at Spartan looked and thought and talked to someone, and told me to disconnect the solenoids. You don't happen to have that wiring notice by any chance, do you? I'd love to have it switchable.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:34 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I have been able to get upgrade switches from Entegra.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Well, hmm... Entegra support told me to call Spartan. The guy at Spartan looked and thought and talked to someone, and told me to disconnect the solenoids. You don't happen to have that wiring notice by any chance, do you? I'd love to have it switchable.
Ted Cook with Entegra called Spartan for the information on how to hook the switch up. Someone from EC or Spartan called the service department of the dealership that was loaning me the 2014 Aspire and they put the switch on. I was told by EC if the temporary switch helped with my driveway slope they would wire in a permanent on my new 2016 if I ordered one. I ordered the coach and afterward found out all coaches starting 2016 would have a permanent switch for the tag. The temporary sw was a small single pole on/off toggle switch, hooked to two wires, laying loose in the fuse compartment area below the driver.

Ted said he had seen this done before. It got me about 4 or 5 inches additional clearance where that xxxx radiator hangs down. What a poor design as it completely destroys the departure angel design of the coach. JMOP. Good luck.
FMCA 212171
Old 06-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #6

Pat & Denise - thanks! I called Jacob at Entegra, who snagged Ted Cook as he tried to walk by. Ted forwarded the contact details for an engineer at Spartan, and he sent me the instructions I need. Basically, the wire on pin 37 going into the Spartan Control Module (SCM) is the automatic tag dump input. The SCM is between the generator and the driver-side electrical compartment. Cut this wire, extend it into the compartment, and install a switch.

According to the wiring chart he included, the wire on pin 13 is the manual tag dump input, so the three-position switch on the 2016 models would presumably cut both 13 and 37 when set to Off. Of course the wiring chart accompanying the wiring diagram states that pin 13 is a 'clean ground' and the wire on pin 12 is the manual tag dump input. You experiment, you're on your own.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Pat & Denise - thanks! I called Jacob at Entegra, who snagged Ted Cook as he tried to walk by. Ted forwarded the contact details for an engineer at Spartan, and he sent me the instructions I need. Basically, the wire on pin 37 going into the Spartan Control Module (SCM) is the automatic tag dump input. The SCM is between the generator and the driver-side electrical compartment. Cut this wire, extend it into the compartment, and install a switch.

According to the wiring chart he included, the wire on pin 13 is the manual tag dump input, so the three-position switch on the 2016 models would presumably cut both 13 and 37 when set to Off. Of course the wiring chart accompanying the wiring diagram states that pin 13 is a 'clean ground' and the wire on pin 12 is the manual tag dump input. You experiment, you're on your own.
DeeGee, looks like your all set for a 2016 Tag Dump Sw upgrade if you want it. Just let Jacob know you need the new Tag Dump rocker switch and plug it into one of your unused driver control panel switch spots.
Did Ted need your VIN# as I wonder if the diagram you received is VIN specific? I think they wanted mine.
pat
FMCA 212171
Old 06-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
DeeGee, looks like your all set for a 2016 Tag Dump Sw upgrade if you want it. Just let Jacob know you need the new Tag Dump rocker switch and plug it into one of your unused driver control panel switch spots.
Did Ted need your VIN# as I wonder if the diagram you received is VIN specific? I think they wanted mine.
pat
I think I will order a switch, and swap out for my current 2-position switch.

I never talked to Ted - he just put me in contact with Spartan. All I needed to tell him was a 2015 Aspire; I mentioned it was on the MM chassis, but that wasn't really necessary. He dug up the email he sent to Ted regarding the 2014 Aspire and forwarded it to me, along with some more explanatory text. Looks easy, as a diagram and a chart are included, along with a photo of the SCM and a pinout diagram. I don't have time to get a new switch by Saturday, so I'll get a toggle switch locally and put it in the wiring compartment, then get a dash panel switch later. I bet I have to order it through a dealer.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I think I will order a switch, and swap out for my current 2-position switch.

I never talked to Ted - he just put me in contact with Spartan. All I needed to tell him was a 2015 Aspire; I mentioned it was on the MM chassis, but that wasn't really necessary. He dug up the email he sent to Ted regarding the 2014 Aspire and forwarded it to me, along with some more explanatory text. Looks easy, as a diagram and a chart are included, along with a photo of the SCM and a pinout diagram. I don't have time to get a new switch by Saturday, so I'll get a toggle switch locally and put it in the wiring compartment, then get a dash panel switch later. I bet I have to order it through a dealer.

DeeGee, I just sent you a PM. Also the part number for the new switch is #0255024 and is available through Entegra parts in about 2-3 weeks. Cost is $63.99.

Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Steve. I have a 2015 Aspire and would like to make the mod as well. Do you have all the instructions and wiring diagrams etc? If so please PM them to me. Thank you for your assistance.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #11

I got under there and looked at it last night. The SCM is mounted in front of the driver-side wire compartment, the large aluminum heat sink is visible from the front. The connectors face down and can be seen from below. I could not confirm which of the 2 40-pin connectors was A1 and so I sent another email to Spartan, but I don't expect an answer until Monday. Like all projects, this one keeps growing. And I need to put it all on hold - a kid ran a red light and broadsided the Aspire this morning, while I was on my way to the shop to get the Spartan ping tank installed. Looks like my forthcoming trip just got cancelled.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Just finished the mod (thanks to DeeGee/ David) so I can now shut the tag axle air dump off if I need extra ground clearance when backing up a hill. Ours is a 2014 Aspire and all that is needed is to cut wire #37 (see photo) on the A1 connector for the SCM (Spartan Control Module) and extend each wire (use 14 gauge wire) into the drivers switch console. The SCM is located underneath to the left of the generator and the A1 connector is on the right side of the SCM with the wire positions on the edge of the connector. At this point you can just add an off/on switch to one of the available locations in the console or purchase the 3 position switch from Entegra parts and add the 2 new wires to the switch block. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465514171.657056.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	129657

Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #13

How about some wood with gravel under it to support or even grade the driveway
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote: