Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Dish Network VS Direct TV

I'm sure this has been posted on here before but here it goes again. Just purchased 2015 Aspire and I need help deciding on satalite provider. I have cable at home and will need the Satalite only when traveling. I have 4 TV's and hope not to have to spend an arm and a leg.
Scooterdro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterdro View Post
I'm sure this has been posted on here before ...
Really? I hadn't noticed

Do a search and you will be rewarded with all the endless debates that go nowhere that you could possibly want. The short answer is that Dish might be better for intermittent use because they have a monthly pay-as-you-go option, but if you have four TVs and want to view different programming at the same time then you will need a more advanced receiver system so you might want to sign up for a commitment to get the free hardware, in which case it doesn't matter much which service you choose. The Hopper/Joey combo (Dish) seems to be the hot ticket right now for ease of connecting multiple receivers, but beyond that you will probably be equally unhappy with either DirecTv or Dish customer service.

With regard to antennas, I think you'll find the Winegard Trav'ler to be highly recommended if you want auto-setup and simultaneous multiple-sat viewing but do not need in-motion service. If you do need in-motion capability think hard about it because you generally will have to give up antenna performance if you go that way.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Everybody has their own fave. I'll throw in with my two cents. I am a part-timer. Meaning I still work. I have a DSL based System at home, and where I live in Florida a home satellite is not as good due to numerous summer rainstorms. The economy a lot of folks enjoy by adding more SAT receivers doesn't work for me. I have Dish because they do pay as you go. Meaning I can turn it on/off as much as I want. DirectTV will let you suspend service but only up to 6 mos. In a previous home I tried Dish and DirectTV both. In our opinion DirectTV is nice, and probably the best for sports fans, but we enjoyed the family packages on Dish more. I know others will throw in here. If I was a fulltimer, I'd probably go DirectTV for the football programming. IMHO the signal and equipment are about the same.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:25 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
If you just purchased Aspire it should have the Sat antenna already installed. You will go with the company that the antenna is wired to receive.

I have had both companies and I see no difference except for the NFL football package on Direct. If you have a choice and you want to keep cable at home, Dish "has pay as you go" and you only pay when you have it turned on to use when traveling. Direct you will pay every month whether you use it or not. I kept Dish in the MH for that reason.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If the Aspire you bought has the "standard" antenna ( Winegard Roadtrip), it can be configured for either DirectTV or Dish by setting some DIP switches. If the Aspire has the "optional" antenna (Winegard Travlr), it will be configured for DirectTV only (or Shaw for Canadians). If you have the Travlr antenna from the factory it is possible to retrofit it to Dish with a $300 kit from Winegard. I did it.

There are merits to either the dome antenna (works on the move) or the Travlr (full HD w DirectTV and better in rain). If you want the ultimate setup have the Travlr antenna added to a RV with the dome also and use a switching setup.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:39 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I forgot the dome is either or service, thanks for the reminder Dave. I was thinking the Traveler. I need the second cup of coffee before I answer posts.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:00 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have had DirecTV for over 20 years and I like it, but the pay-as you-go plan with Dish can be a strong advantage depending on your needs. And, there are other factors.

If you have a dome antenna:

Dish gets High Def, Direct only Standard Def: ADVANTAGE DISH

HOWEVER, if you want two receivers to work at the same time, DIRECT has a distinct advantage. Because nearly all DIRECT stations are on one satellite, you can be watching or recording two or more different programs at once, seamlessly. With Dish, the channels are split between different satellites, so you can only view multiple programs if they happen to be on the same satellite. ADVANTAGE DIRECT.

If you have a Travler antenna the above differences disappear. You will get HD and seamless multi-station viewing on both Direct and Dish.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
If you want the ultimate setup have the Travlr antenna added to a RV with the dome also and use a switching setup.
That probably works okay for Dish or Direct on SD, but with DirecTV in HD you would have to go thru a lengthy receiver programming each time you move between the dome (SD) to the Travler (HD).
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I like Dish for the Dish Anywhere feature. I have a hopper at home and 2 receivers on the coach which will show on all 4 TVs. When I want on demand services or when I want to watch my home local channels for local news I used my wifi or internet connection and login to dish anywhere.
Rclukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #10

I have DirecTv with three televisions in my travel trailer. I have one DVR which can be accessed at any of the televisions. I have a regular residential plan with DirecTv for my RV, but I turn it off at the end of November and turn it back on at the end of March.

I think if you go with DirecTv, you should do as I have done, except you should get the new Genie system with the Genie DVR and three Wireless Genie minis. I might be upgrading to the Genie this year since I have moved and I can take advantage of their "we move with you" program.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Genie system with the Genie DVR and three Wireless Genie minis.
Bruce
They say wireless, but that is not 100% true. I have a plug into the wall and and HDMI cable to the TV set...not truly wireless on my Genies.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #12

Flora and I switched to Dish at home and added the RV as a room and it costs just $7.00/mth for the RV. We don't bother turning it on and off at that price as Dish was cheaper that Comcast anyway. It has worked just fine so far. We use the in motion and have not upgraded and see no reason to do so.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for all of your time to reply to my post. First I need to find out what type of Satalite equipment I'm working with then go from there. As my DW would say' I have put the cart before the horse....again!
Scooterdro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
They say wireless, but that is not 100% true. I have a plug into the wall and and HDMI cable to the TV set...not truly wireless on my Genies.
Chuck..
I have the wireless genies in my home that I take with me in my coach.. It actually has a Bridge device which sets up its own wireless network.. I waited for this set up to get around the wiring (coax) nightmare in my coach it works perfectly.. At home and in my coach.. We use it on the porch when my wife wants to watch TV out there and have moved a Mini and TV to the picnic table while traveling.. Although we have an outdoor entertainment set up it wasn't positioned where we wanted it that day.. Has adequate range and sets up as fast as the Traveler locks on to Direct..
We have folks over all the time cause we have both East and West coast feeds and can time shift Network shows or Today show etc.
I just love the system..
But at the end of the day.. It's all about the money with these guys.. Just saw Fox isn't available on Dish.. Last year it was them (Direct) threatening to pull AMC.. Just plain Greed!
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish