Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Dish or Direct TV Sat -

The Anthem will come with the Traveler for Direct TV. At the time of delivery I can have this changed over to Dish. Just wondering if all that have been through this before have any opinion on which is the simplest, most cost effective and has the best service.

We will be fulltime and have never used either service. The cost of the change over is about 300 dollars.

tks

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

I would go with Dish, they are are more RV friendly. We had Direct and anytime we called them they acted like an RV was from another planet. Dish customer service is 100% better. IMO.
Armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #3

We have Dish and they have made it very easy to change our service address to get the local stations where ever we are. When we had Direct with our old coach they would not allow us to change the service address so when we were out of our home state we had to rely either broadcast or cable for local news, weather, and etc.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
For Full Time use DirecTV will be best for you. Hope the Trav'ler is a SWM and you can sign up with DirecTV for a Genie HR54 that can record 5 programs at the same time and receive HD and 4K. And can send programs wireless to your other TV's.

Also with DTV since you will be traveling, sign up for DNS that gives you CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CW and PS anywhere you travel and not miss any network programs scheduled to record. With DNS no need to call in and change your location for locals. And YES DTV will and does change locals.
Just call their mobile customer service for that.

I have had DTV before and since I went Full Time in 1999. And I have never had any problems with customer service anytime I have ever needed to call them.

The satellites 99/101/103 are much closer together then the Dish satellites with their wide spread and even different ones for the East or West coast.

Close together will make it easier to get in tree areas. And you save the extra $$$ it would cost to convert the Trav'ler to a Dish. That is a no brainer to start with.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
In my new Anthem I was quoted $850 to change from the Traveler Direct to Dish...We chose to change our home service and our coach to Direct and are happy with the move...
Les1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #6

They both have there issues ..
I think consistent tv viewing in a motorhome bouncing around the country is pain in the but. Personally Rv parks with cable tv have been the best for us as satellite and antenna tv is always a challenge and time consuming deal. Jmo
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Our Entegra came with a Traveler for DISH when we were told it would be DIRECT. Waiting for delivery, we switched the house account to DIRECT with a 2 year contract. When the MH arrived it had a DISH so we left it. Glad I did, my contract is up with DIRECT and we will be switching back. Not a fan of DIRECT since AT&T took over...lots of billing problems.

I left DISH on the MH as we could do pay-as you-go and I owned the receiver.

Hogdriver did a post on switching the Traveler over and the cost was about $300.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I have DirecTv, but I have 2 S&B homes - so, I just move the receiver back and forth which works fine. On the other hand if I was going full-time in the RV then Dish sounds like it is the better choice.
classicalgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Triker,

Entegra does not indicate that the Traveler is SWM. Will need to confirm that with them, but I would be less than impressed if it was not.

Thanks for the info, wireless to the other TV's in the MH is interesting. Hopefully I can find a sales rep for DTV that knows what I need.

Thanks

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
Triker,

Entegra does not indicate that the Traveler is SWM. Will need to confirm that with them, but I would be less than impressed if it was not.

Thanks for the info, wireless to the other TV's in the MH is interesting. Hopefully I can find a sales rep for DTV that knows what I need.

Thanks

Jim
Yes it is SWM. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #11

Mine had the factory installed Direct..they switched it over to Dish no problem and for locals, I just do a scan with my 211K boxes...and it adds the locals right into the guide and the drive I plug in for DVR can DVR them...pretty decent now that I have a front/rear DVR and I can get either one....Note that with Hopper I'd have to switch house and all...so leaving it as it is..it works, so I am not fixing it. That's bit me in the rear end more times than I can count
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #12

The Trav'ler on an Entegra is definitely the SWM model.... I think that is all there is in a DirecTV Trav'ler. We have Dish at home and hesitated going with Direct but went ahead and got it. We are now happy with it. My coach is a 44B and all the electronics in a 44B are above the fireplace in a very small cabinet..... the last thing that I would want to do is to have to move my DVR and receiver out of the house and into the coach and reverse every time that I wanted to take a trip in the Anthem..... so moving equipment was a non-starter for me. Now if you search, you will find several RANTS from me about how difficult it is to get network TV stations while traveling across the country when using DirecTV. Although there are people on here who will swear they have no trouble getting network channels moved from city to city, this became a near-cardiac-attack-generating disagreement with customer service every time I wanted to switch to new local network channels (once you go out of the "spot beam" (roughly 300 miles), you will get no local channels and have to update your location, county, zip code). What the DW and I tend to watch on TV is 50/50 satellite and network and we like to see it every day even if at a WalMart or truck-stop on a quick overnight stop. So, after pulling out a lot of hair with them, I finally succumbed to advice I received on here and that was a unique feature of Direct that costs $15 a month extra.... and that was to get DNS service..... you either get all your network channels out of LA or you get all your network channels out of NYC. So, you never get the Denver networks unless you do it on the direct antenna. However, EVERY TIME you put up the sat antenna, you get all the major networks and you get all the sat channels that you pay for, all via the satellites with no phone calls to Direct, no screaming matches with the bone-heads who first answer the phone and don't know the difference between a mobile home and a motorhome (not many of them do)(not funny!!!!) and other horrors. I can't tell you how strongly I recommend paying the additional money and getting either LA or NYC DNS service. Since I switched, no phone calls to "Customer Service"

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #13

You may want to forget both and go with Sling TV.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #14

You better have a very large and formidably expensive broadband account, or one of those precious unlimited accounts that they dont give anyone anymore, if it is what I think you are suggesting.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish