Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2023, 04:40 PM   #1

DIY 4 camera 24/7 recording

The first thing I want you to know is that I am NOT an expert and probably can’t answer all the questions that will probably pop up over this post. I’ll answer the questions that I can.

After an unpleasant discussion with a Florida state trooper alongside the interstate, I decided to install a 4 camera recording capability in my 2015 Anthem.

Installing the system was fairly easy. Following are the requirements that I had for my system;

1. Must be able to record 24/7 unless I shut the system off.
2. Cameras had to be the highest resolution available.
3. Recorder (MDVR) needed to have the capability to record any suspicious movements while parked.
4. Capability of displaying all 4 cameras on the monitor or any combination of the 4.
5. Had to have 4 pin AV connectors.
6. Easily display and port to my desktop in a common format.

So I began my research. The first task I needed to do was to get rid of the switcher box from Riverpark. The switcher box is behind the monitor on the dash. That is the box that automatically switches cameras when you put your turn signal on. That drove me crazy! Hooked to that box are three video input cables that have a non-common connection. They are square with 4 pins. The task is to convert them to 4 pin AV connectors. It turned out to be fairly simple. Riverpark sold me 4 cables to convert the square inputs to the AV inputs. I think they were $50.

Second task was to replace the rear camera with a higher resolution camera. There are tons of those cameras on the net. I just had to make sure the camera I selected had an AV input. Most cameras come with RCA inputs. If you want audio and video you usually need two RCA inputs. 4 pin AV connectors carry audio, video, ground, and power and those are the ones I prefer. I installed a wide angle HD camera in my windshield to act as a dash cam.

The next task was to select a MDVR (Mobile Digital Recorder). The MDVR needed to be able to display all 4 channels on the monitor at the same time. It also needed to have significant memory to record all 4 cameras for a month or so before overwriting. There aren’t that many options to choose from and some are very pricey. I liked this one because it comes with a desktop player that is really great for viewing and converting your saved videos. It also has slots for 2 256GB SD cards that make it easy to transfer your files.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now you need a HD monitor and I wanted one that was bigger than the one I had so I bought a 10”. And this is what I chose;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You hook it all up and it’s plug and play. I wouldn’t want you to think there were no hiccups, there were. If you are interested in copying this system, I can help you but that’s the limit of my knowledge.

I did not replace the side view cameras. I couldn't come up with a way to replace them and make it look like factory installs.

Believe it or not, the entire system cost a bout $300.

I really like this setup. Here are a few screen captures of my system:

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0268.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	388604

Name:	101_0269.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	388605

Name:	101_0271.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	388606

Name:	101_0273.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	388607
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2023, 07:25 AM   #2

Very nice modification and write-up. I have thought about this type of mod so this will be useful when I go down that path.
jeff.herren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:49 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for posting your setup details.

Interesting, I learned something new from this. This system uses a format called AHD or Analog HD which is a relatively new open standard that allows digital video to be transmitted over baseband analog coax cable. AHD is allegedly now capable of up to 4K video resolution given the right equipment. However, because the digital video is converted to analog and back again, the length of the coax and it's quality will introduce some degradation vs a straight IP camera. Plenty of info out there if you google it.

I noticed the DVR seller (JOINLGO on Amazon) offers a variety of models including one with GPS and WiFi and another that can take 4G SIM cards for remote access. Some have HDMI output as well. They also offer a variety of compatible cameras. The product linked by the OP has a max resolution of AHD 1080p. The camera would have to be 1080p as well.

Seems to be a pretty good solution to upgrade an older factory analog system using existing camera cables and get the bonus of DVR capabilities and better resolution.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, diy