Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #1

Do NOT break the end off your HDMI TV cable!

HDMI connectors do break fairly easy, and their is no way to repair them once broken ( they have 19 micro wires in them ) I unfortunately broke the end off while moving the satellite receiver, and the nightmare began! First off their is no way to pull a new wire using the existing cable. Entegra tapes the wire bundles in the wall, and its impossible to pull a wire with a new end through the bundle. With no way to pull the cable, I decided to make a new hole in the cabinet and fish a cable down the wall next to the existing bundle. NOT, Entegra puts foam insulation between the exterior wall and the cabinet wall so punching a hole through the cabinet will only exposes the foam board insulation. That was strike Two. The only solution for running a cable was drilling a hole through the wood under the window, and running the cable behind the window valance. I then ran the cable through the bottom of the upper cabinet to the satellite reciever. Getting the cable to the TV was easy! Getting the cable into the cabinet was a nightmare, and it requires drilling holes in the nice Amish woodwork. The frustrating part was the short cable length in the cabinet, since I found at least 10 feet of excess cable coiled up near the tv. Had II been able to pull some of that excess into the cabinet, I would have never broken the end off.

You have been warned....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's a common issue in RVs whenever you have a unit, such as a satellite receiver or DVR, that you plug and unplug frequently if moving between the RV and house. It can also be a problem because the bouncing of an RV when travelling also creates stress on the cable connection. You can get HDMI "cable savers", which are 6" long male to female HDMI cables. Attach them to the end of your long fixed cables and they will take the abuse rather than your expensive long cable that's imbedded into the coach structure. Apply a little electrical tape on the connection to ensure they stay connected.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
HDMI connectors do break fairly easy, and their is no way to repair them once broken ( they have 19 micro wires in them ) I unfortunately broke the end off while moving the satellite receiver, and the nightmare began! First off their is no way to pull a new wire using the existing cable. Entegra tapes the wire bundles in the wall, and its impossible to pull a wire with a new end through the bundle. With no way to pull the cable, I decided to make a new hole in the cabinet and fish a cable down the wall next to the existing bundle. NOT, Entegra puts foam insulation between the exterior wall and the cabinet wall so punching a hole through the cabinet will only exposes the foam board insulation. That was strike Two. The only solution for running a cable was drilling a hole through the wood under the window, and running the cable behind the window valance. I then ran the cable through the bottom of the upper cabinet to the satellite reciever. Getting the cable to the TV was easy! Getting the cable into the cabinet was a nightmare, and it requires drilling holes in the nice Amish woodwork. The frustrating part was the short cable length in the cabinet, since I found at least 10 feet of excess cable coiled up near the tv. Had II been able to pull some of that excess into the cabinet, I would have never broken the end off.

You have been warned....
Another good reason for not having a TV and only reading (paper) books!