Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Do they have to go through the closet floor to change AC Compressor?

For those that have had dash A/C compressor changed, did they have to go through the closet floor to get to it? Need to know if the closet needs to be unloaded before tomorrows appointment.

I know a skinny guy can get to it from outside, but not sure about "most" shops. Thanks.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #2

On my 2013 Anthem they didn't NIRV did it all from outside while we were in the coach. Took a while though, they had to clean all the lines, etc out. Plus they had to order another part that the debris from the compressor failing caused to also go bad.
roadrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #3

Spartan changed ours from the outside only.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Good to know thanks. I have already asked them to have an accumulator on hand before they start and I do want the lines flushed. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Good to know thanks. I have already asked them to have an accumulator on hand before they start and I do want the lines flushed. Thanks for the heads up.
Ideally they should disconnect the lines at the compressor and the fittings at the condenser. Back flush the condenser itself with mineral spirits or brake clean and compressed air. Same for the long chassis hose connecting the compressor to the condenser. Flush from the condenser end with brake clean and air. Replace the accumulator and that is the best you can do. Nice also to back flush the line from the condenser to the accumulator but that is more difficult and likely the condenser is holding most of the debris so there should be much less to worry about with the condenser to accumulator line. In any case.....you are likely to have a plugged accumulator within the next year so it would be preventative maintenance to just evacuate the system, replace the accumulator again and recharge when you are back at home. Used to be able to put a filter in the liquid line to catch the debris but now the accumulator becomes the filter as it is somewhat designed that way anyway and is not that difficult to replace again later.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:18 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up Al. I am at the mercy of the shop and hope they do it all correct. They can say it's been done......but?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

are you getting any help from spartan on this?

your probably like me and just outa warranty but wondering if you asked for some help..

I have my anthem in the shop as we speak for the yearly service.. I felt my dash air was not very cold on my last trip out and they are telling me one of my hoses
is leaking freon and my system was low... my chassis warranty officially expired 9/6/17..

my shop called spartan and they said send some photos and they might warranty it... my fingers are crossed... should know today.. maybe they will help you..
because I think others have posted 2 grand cost for what you are faced with..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
Ideally they should disconnect the lines at the compressor and the fittings at the condenser. Back flush the condenser itself with mineral spirits or brake clean and compressed air. Same for the long chassis hose connecting the compressor to the condenser. Flush from the condenser end with brake clean and air. Replace the accumulator and that is the best you can do. Nice also to back flush the line from the condenser to the accumulator but that is more difficult and likely the condenser is holding most of the debris so there should be much less to worry about with the condenser to accumulator line. In any case.....you are likely to have a plugged accumulator within the next year so it would be preventative maintenance to just evacuate the system, replace the accumulator again and recharge when you are back at home. Used to be able to put a filter in the liquid line to catch the debris but now the accumulator becomes the filter as it is somewhat designed that way anyway and is not that difficult to replace again later.

Do you replace your accumulator yearly?
Old 09-26-2017, 05:14 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
I am going to do this one after replacing the compressor just to make sure nothing was in the line. JMO, but cheap insurance.

lowejug: My warranty was up in May. I did not ask for any help. My A/C quit last year on the way home from our PDI. It was not covered. All it was was a simple thermister, but $750. to find the problem. Not impressed with Charlotte RV. in Port Charlotte FL. I had to go there for "maybe" warranty coverage as they were a Evens Tempcom dealer. This time, I just wanted good and have it fixed right.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
No, only if something happens to the AC system and it has to be worked on and opened up. Anything that generates debris in the system (like the compressor failing) will inevitably send some tiny chunks thru the system regardless of how well cleaned the lines were. So, if i had a problem like chuck's I would put a fresh accumulator in with the repair and then change it in a year (hopefully) before it clogs from any remaining debris.

Even if a system is OK and just has a slight leak and the refrigerant is low I would replace the accumulator when it is recharged. The refrigerant used today (R134a) is more sensitive to any moisture in the system so the fresh desiccant charge is a preventative measure.

If the system is working fine and has not been opened for repair, no, I would not replace the accumulator as a matter of course.

Always replace the accumulator if you are converting an older system, that used R12, to R134a. Leaving the original accumulator in place when converting from R12 to R134a is the cause of many complaints with the R134a. R134A got a bit of a bad reputation years ago when it first came out and many systems were being converted as the supply of R12 dried up. The conversion will work fine with the R134a if the accumulator is replaced.

Tags
compressor, floor