Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #1

Do you really trust a Fumoto?

So the shop vacuum trick worked perfectly. Installed the Fumoto without a hitch and without spilling a drop of oil.

Completed my first oil change on our classic Anthem with the ISL. Actually transferred 26 quarts of dirty oil, changed the filter and poured in 26 quarts of clean Rotella without spilling a drip. OK....I did have to wipe up one or two small drops on the tarp but no mess.

The Fumoto certainly makes it easy to drain the hot oil into gallon jugs in a controlled fashion!

But... Having completed the task I cannot bring myself to drive down the road or leave the Anthem parked alone with nothing but a Fumoto holding the oil in the pan. Not to put any ideas into miscreants' heads but really! How hard is it for some idiot to slide under my oil pan like I did and flip that little lever and let my oil loose when I am not looking. And I can easily picture road debris possibly doing the same thing and/or simply wiping that brass fitting clean off the pan. A decent recap alligator could easily destroy that fitting. it is brass and hollow and sticks out into the wind. If a Tesla can find a piece of steel road debris to puncture the batteries and catch fire something is bound to take that Fumoto out.

I just could not leave it in for normal use and reverted back to the OEM drain plug. Using the shop vac to change it back with clean oil in the pan this time.

Do you guys really trust that little valve to keep your oil in? Truly? Appears to be a disaster waiting to happen from a misguided prankster to road debris my imagination has you covered.

I considered drilling the little lever and safety wiring it to slow down a quick twist in the dark but there is nothing close enough to anchor it to that the safety wire doesn't become an aid to ripping the lever open.

My gosh. That cheesy little plastic clip doubled over and cracked one of the legs off the first time I slipped it on. What a POS.

Other opinions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I understand and share your concerns, but I have run with one on three different coaches for twelve years now with no incidents.

That same miscreant could damage your coach in many other was with less effort. For example, DEF in the Diesel tank? Horror.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:51 PM   #3

Thanks! You are probably not surprised I have locking caps on the fuel fills on the DEF tank and a lock on the engine hatch. I know locks keep honest people honest but that chinzy Fumoto..???? Hanging out in the open?
Old 09-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #4

Well you have to do what makes you feel good about it. I have run well over 400,000 miles with a fumoto valve on my oil pan on my tv and it does see off road.

Do you think people go cruising around crawling under vehicles looking for fumoto valves to drain the unsuspecting owners oil.

Your vehicle, your money, your the only one you have to answer to so do as you did take it off and no more worry
Old 09-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I have run with one on two different coaches for fourteen years with no problems.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have NEVER had one open up accidentally or by mischief.

I trust them just fine.

Personally most kids or criminals most likely do not know what a Fumoto valve is.

And then there are some lowlifes that might crawl under there with a pipe wrench.

You will NOT get out of life,.... alive. !! so have fun while you can.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #7

You have a better chance of getting struck by lighting or winning the lottery than someone crawling under your coach and dumping the oil. There are freak accidents every day that cannot be explained our understood, but try to be realistic. Your choice in the end.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:46 PM   #8

You guys don't know me obviously

First, during my 38 years in the auto industry I had design and release responsibility back in the day for things like drain plugs, dipsticks, etc (among many other parts.) That Fumoto wouldn't get to first base on the mildest validation testing we ran. Hot oil escaping out of a compromised drain plug spraying onto a particulate trap or catalytic converter or exhaust manifold is a supreme fire risk.

Secondly, my doc says I can catastrophize anything which really makes my anxiety uncontrollable

With the attitude of some of the truckers towards motorhomes I find in overnighting in a rest area or big box store or Cabellas I would not put anything past someone opening that valve on purpose. it is just too easy of a target. Or maybe I watch too much who done-its on TV.

At least they could have put a dust cap or something on it like the Femco valve I did use on the generator.

I'm not giving up on the Fumoto it just needs some work to meet my standards.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #9

Changing the drain plug with the shop vac and a full pan is pretty awesome.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:11 PM   #10

Good grief... If you're that angstified over the Fumoto valve, take it out, put the drain plug back in, and add a hasp, staple plate and padlock to the drain pan over it. And then, figure out how to lock your tire valve stems (a LOT easier to access than an oil drain plug).

And, BTW, 26 qts of oil = 6 and a half gallons. If you can't see that on the ground before you leave, you're not paying attention. Or are the perps going to drain all that into jugs and carry it off?

Oh, and maybe they'll squirt superglue into your locks, too.

Your doctor is right...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #11

Slight off topic but has anyone tried to evacuate the oil through the dipstick (as is done on diesel boats)? There wold no need or worry of a Fumato plug.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I have used one on 3 different coaches, probably 100,000 miles totally and never had a problem. If you are worried about opening put as snap ring hose camp on it. Probably lots of YouTube videos
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:52 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
You guys don't know me obviously

First, during my 38 years in the auto industry I had design and release responsibility back in the day for things like drain plugs, dipsticks, etc (among many other parts.) That Fumoto wouldn't get to first base on the mildest validation testing we ran. Hot oil escaping out of a compromised drain plug spraying onto a particulate trap or catalytic converter or exhaust manifold is a supreme fire risk.

Secondly, my doc says I can catastrophize anything which really makes my anxiety uncontrollable

With the attitude of some of the truckers towards motorhomes I find in overnighting in a rest area or big box store or Cabellas I would not put anything past someone opening that valve on purpose. it is just too easy of a target. Or maybe I watch too much who done-its on TV.

At least they could have put a dust cap or something on it like the Femco valve I did use on the generator.

I'm not giving up on the Fumoto it just needs some work to meet my standards.

I don't want to get away from your OP, but I have read this statement many times, but have never seen even a hint of it. We started RVing in 2012, and always take our rests/naps in truck stops and rest stops. (I drive at least 80% of our trips overnight, because I like overnight driving). I'm just curious if there are any real examples of it, not counting the occasional rude trucker, which you can find in any driver if driving long enough.

Addressing the actual topic, I've always wanted a Fumoto valve on the RV and our daily drivers, but I will be the first to admit that it scares me, which is why I've never done it. BTW, I also don't know of any real examples of Fumoto valves opening or failing either, but I still share you fear.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #14

I removed the OP installed Fumoto valve at my first oil change.

I want the oil to flow out, carrying and dissolved solids along with it, not sit around while it dribbles out a tiny hole.

Ever wonder why bigger engine have bigger drain plugs ?

Besides, on My E450 chassis, it stuck down lower then the front axle.

For most RVs owners, draining the oil is a once a year project. Get a wrench, a rag and unscrew the plug.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust