Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 07:06 AM   #1

Does anyone else ever read this forum and panic a little?

Read this forum and panic a little? All the maintenance things you didn’t know you were suppose to be doing? And things that can break or go wrong that you never even knew about?

Still scratching my head over how I never knew I was to be emptying the air bags to be sure there is no moisture in a bleeder valve? And the “how to tow your coach thread” was an eye opener.
Bama96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What coach do you have? I think the Spartan owners course is excellent, it covers your chassis and PJ from Entegra comes in for a few days and covers the major issues that CS gets calls about. There are some dealers across the country who offer off site Spartan training too. It's kind of expensive but I learned a lot.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:23 AM   #3

Bama I signed up for the Spartan course as soon as we could. We are going in June. I figured I could use all the help I could get on the care and feeding of these monsters. I'm bringing my wife, Sandy, so that she can "remind" me about what I should be doing.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:34 AM   #4

We've had a number of 5th wheel trailers in the past, though this is our first coach. So routine maintenance and issues weren't a total surprise. However, power this, power that, lots of batteries, hydronic heating sysytem, . . . . It made me dizzy at first. I learned early on to carry a full toolbox!

Kidding aside, that's where this site comes in SO handy. Lots of folks willing to help with the smallest or largest of problems. And I don't hesitate to give NIRVC, Entegra, or Spartan a call, if I need to. They all have been very responsive and helpful, so far.

Spartan class is a good idea! I need to attend myself.
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #5

Isn’t that class a week long class? I’m a working guy with young children in school. That may be a challenge for me.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama96 View Post
Isn’t that class a week long class? I’m a working guy with young children in school. That may be a challenge for me.
Yes, it is a week long and it is held in Charlotte, MI. You may want to check as I believe there are some classes being held in the South.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Spartan Academy classes run throughout the year. You can schedule class during summer when school's out and you can get a week of vacation.

I don't panic when I read things on forums. Sometimes things get blown out of proportion. Actually, if you read all the negative stuff up front you would be scared off and never want to own an RV. But that would be sad because you would be missing out on a great experience.

Knowledge is king when it comes to the RV life. If you know what can go wrong and how to handle it, even moreso how to prevent it, things aren't so bad. Education needs to be a multi-pronged approach. Reading magazines, like Family Motor Coaching, is a great source of information (although I may be a bit biased ) and buying through a dealer with a great reputation for customer service and one that takes the time you give you a great walk-through when you pick up your coach, is a huge part of the equation. Training courses such as offered by the manufacturer and the excellent Spartan Academy course are another component.

Lastly, but not leastly (is that even a word?) forums such as this one are invaluable because you will get first hand experience from other owners who most likely have already experienced whatever you are looking to solve. Sometimes you have to filter out the opinions from the facts but its a great source of helpful information.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
I am with you, hard to burn a week in classes but I guess we have to look at it as an investment in the lifestyle choice. Probably cheaper than missing something or paying someone else to do everything.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaspiveys View Post
I am with you, hard to burn a week in classes but I guess we have to look at it as an investment in the lifestyle choice. Probably cheaper than missing something or paying someone else to do everything.

I believe NIRVC hosts a 3 day version. The 5 day in Michigan includes 2 days for driver education.... the class is a real eye opener and well worth the 3 days... the driving portion maybe not so much since you are not new to it...
dmm588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I took a week of vacation and went, glad I did since I learned a bunch. Not that I know everything, but every little bit helps.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:33 PM   #11

Well I’ve owned my 2014 for 4 years now and have only had minor issues. I haven’t had many in the last 24 months so I ordered a 2018 so I can go through the de bugging again! WTH was I thinking? Picking up my new 44R Friday in Orlando.

This place is a great resource but damn sometimes
I read it and I am like, “wait I haven’t done that or I never knew I had to do that!”

I do all my owm normal maintenance and I am a generator service pro by now with 3000 hours on that Onan. But sometimes I scratch my head on this obscure stuff or stuff I thought was. I guess I need to read more.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Read this forum and panic a little? All the maintenance things you didn’t know you were suppose to be doing? And things that can break or go wrong that you never even knew about?

Still scratching my head over how I never knew I was to be emptying the air bags to be sure there is no moisture in a bleeder valve? And the “how to tow your coach thread” was an eye opener.

I may have started that thread 3 weeks ago. Just picked coach up today from Spartan repair shop. Just under $3k to fix. Had technician show me the three lanyards located in wheel well on right front PS. Never knew they existed. Expensive lesson.

I’ve often had the same thoughts you expressed. Thank God for this forum though!
ButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
JMO but it takes the time of a cup of coffee to check to forum each morning. Sooner or later every maintenance need, and "how to" operate a system will be covered on this forum. Lots of repeats, but they are good reminders as it's hard to remember everything.

Another very important part is learning the search function. Very handy to know how to use it if you ever need to be towed or have a problem that you can't solve in the middle of no where. Also just have a general question answered instead of waiting for the "right" answer.

I am sure the Spartan Academy is fantastic, but they didn't offer that in 2003 when I bought my first Spartan Chassis. I did read all of the owners manuals from cover to cover and learned from reading the forums even back then. Today the manuals are on a CD and hard to find what you want and not as enjoyable to sit down and read in the evening.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
What’s nice about a brand specific forum is if I have a problem with something on the Entegra I can first search for solutions or post about it and probably five other owners have dealt with that issue and two or three will have a good explanation how to fix it. I also learn about things I’m not aware of and lastly expand my knowledge of subjects that others have more experience. I know it is a little frightening sometimes but it’s similar to my profession of flying airplanes. Nearly everything in the books and manuals is about....” be aware of this, or never do this or injury will result, caution for this”. This info certainly isn’t like reading my kid’s Winnie the Pooh books. If you worry about everything you read on the Interweb you’ll never leave the house.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum