Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #1

Door Contact Question

After reading several posts re: the brass door contacts, I decided to take a quick look. One of the contacs was just dangling from its position. I tried to push it back in to keep from losing it and the entire post came out, along with the spring (see photos). It is threaded so I tried to push it back in the hole and screw it in, but there did not seem to be anything to "catch" the threaded shaft. My guess is that when it came loose, some piece might have dropped down inside the door (?). Anyway, my questions are: 1) Is there an easy way to reinstall this post? 2) Am I risking anything by just hanging on to it & leaving it out and having it re-installed whenever I return to the mothership or am somewhere for warranty service? 3) Any other words of wisdom, suggestions or things to watch out for? Thanks as always for the input & safe travels to all--
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anthem entry door hole for contact.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	301781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anthem entry door contact.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	301782  

neilnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilnoff View Post
After reading several posts re: the brass door contacts, I decided to take a quick look. One of the contacs was just dangling from its position. I tried to push it back in to keep from losing it and the entire post came out, along with the spring (see photos). It is threaded so I tried to push it back in the hole and screw it in, but there did not seem to be anything to "catch" the threaded shaft. My guess is that when it came loose, some piece might have dropped down inside the door (?). Anyway, my questions are: 1) Is there an easy way to reinstall this post? 2) Am I risking anything by just hanging on to it & leaving it out and having it re-installed whenever I return to the mothership or am somewhere for warranty service? 3) Any other words of wisdom, suggestions or things to watch out for? Thanks as always for the input & safe travels to all--

Neil,

There was a bit behind it that must have fallen off. If you take the two screws off the bracket you should be able to get to the wires.
Nut is probably in bottom of door.
You may be able to get a new nut at hardware store.

Simple fix

Regards
Joe
FLOWERSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Door Contact Question

Here’s what mine looked like when I noticed one of the contacts extending out farther than the other. The plastic nut they use for “no reason” cracked and fell off and caused an intermittent electrical connection.The nuts are metric so take the contact with you as I don’t remember the size. Make sure you replace the other plastic nut with a steel one. I would suggest everyone check their door contacts and get rid of those plastic nuts to save a future problem.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	301818  
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:12 AM   #4

Joe & Steve: Thanks for the info and the photo really helped. I was having trouble picturing in my mind what I was looking for, but this is a huge help. I'll be at my coach this weekend and will give it a go. Thanks again for the input & suggestions!
Old 09-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Neal,
It’s not hard to fix I hope others check theirs and replace those cheap plastic nuts or the will have an issue.
Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:28 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
When removing contact switch be sure to mark it so it goes back the same. It is polarity sensitive and will cause the alarm to sound when using the grab handle buttons if reversed.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #7

Just a quick update to wrap this up. I finally got to the coach and replaced the missing nylon/plastic nut with a stainless one, new spring washer and new nut on the top. When I unscrewed the one which did not have the problem, the nylon piece literally disintegrated in my fingers. I do recommend checking this on your own rig as the factory little plastic piece is very likely to fail (IMO). All of the contacts are now making contact, although my entry overhead lights are still not coming on when I open the front door. The saga continues -- stay safe everyone!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilnoff View Post
Just a quick update to wrap this up. I finally got to the coach and replaced the missing nylon/plastic nut with a stainless one, new spring washer and new nut on the top. When I unscrewed the one which did not have the problem, the nylon piece literally disintegrated in my fingers. I do recommend checking this on your own rig as the factory little plastic piece is very likely to fail (IMO). All of the contacts are now making contact, although my entry overhead lights are still not coming on when I open the front door. The saga continues -- stay safe everyone!

Do the 2020's have a switch next to the driver for those lights? If so be sure it is set to auto.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
Do the 2020's have a switch next to the driver for those lights? If so be sure it is set to auto.
Agreed, the brass contacts simply provide power to the door lock when the door is closed and don't have any affect on the lighting.. The map lights and handle light are triggered by the step controller via the magnetic door switch and the map lights are further controlled by the ON/OFF/AUTO switch on the console. See photo for the magnet and reed switch locations:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fLa7anYqpqpqrB1S9
voltdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Agreed, the brass contacts simply provide power to the door lock when the door is closed and don't have any affect on the lighting.. The map lights and handle light are triggered by the step controller via the magnetic door switch and the map lights are further controlled by the ON/OFF/AUTO switch on the console. See photo for the magnet and reed switch locations:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fLa7anYqpqpqrB1S9
Slight correction to the above, the interior map lights are triggered by the door magnet/reed switch and the step controller, but the grab handle and porch light are triggered by the Trimark security/entry system.
voltdoc is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door