Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2022, 02:01 PM   #15

Did that Same results
Omodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2022, 02:42 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
If you drive with deadbolt latched, emergency resuers might have a hard time getting to you in an accident scenario.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:35 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is closed SECURELY latched?

I've never been in favor of slamming doors...until I bought my '18 Anthem.

We've found that for the entry door to be securely closed, it must be closed FIRMLY, verging on slamming it closed. It's as if there are two distinct stages of latching. You can close the door gently and engage the first stage of the latch mechanism. To fully engage the latch, and significantly reduce wind noise while driving, it's necessary to close the door forcefully enough to engage the second stage of latching. The door makes a distinctively more solid sound when the door is closed rather forcefully. Verging on slamming.

If we don't get it completely latched, by the time we reach highway speed, the wind noise is noticeably annoying and we'll stop at the first opportunity to firmly reclose the door.

The pneumatic latch mechanism on the forward top of the jam that engages the door does pull the forward edge of the door more tightly into the jam in an attempt to reduce wind noise.

Although I hadn’t raised any complaint when I took the coach back to Middlebury for the 2 year AIR/warranty service, I do believe that the door latch mechanism was adjusted since the door seemed to latch more positively after the service at Entegra. I’d expect that inspection of the door latch mechanism is part of the 2 year AIR followed by any necessary adjustment.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-24-2022, 06:02 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
What Stu said. On mine, you have to slam the door to get it fully latched and quiet.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:06 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
I've never been in favor of slamming doors...until I bought my '18 Anthem.

We've found that for the entry door to be securely closed, it must be closed FIRMLY, verging on slamming it closed. It's as if there are two distinct stages of latching. You can close the door gently and engage the first stage of the latch mechanism. To fully engage the latch, and significantly reduce wind noise while driving, it's necessary to close the door forcefully enough to engage the second stage of latching. The door makes a distinctively more solid sound when the door is closed rather forcefully. Verging on slamming.

If we don't get it completely latched, by the time we reach highway speed, the wind noise is noticeably annoying and we'll stop at the first opportunity to firmly reclose the door.

The pneumatic latch mechanism on the forward top of the jam that engages the door does pull the forward edge of the door more tightly into the jam in an attempt to reduce wind noise.

Although I hadn’t raised any complaint when I took the coach back to Middlebury for the 2 year AIR/warranty service, I do believe that the door latch mechanism was adjusted since the door seemed to latch more positively after the service at Entegra. I’d expect that inspection of the door latch mechanism is part of the 2 year AIR followed by any necessary adjustment.

Take care,
Stu
Stu,

I think this is the key to doors popping open. I get the impression many door are adjusted where only the first latch catches and the second latch never engages. The door appears tight to the frame but the secondary latch never engages. It may take more than 1 notch of adjustment on the star wheel to bring the striker outboard far enough to engage the secondary latch.

A simple test everyone should do is with two fingers gentle push the door closed to engage the first latch. Once engaged there should be a noticeable gap between the door and the frame and the door should have some inward movement when pushed on. Now slam the door and it should be relatively even with the door frame and there should be no inward movement of the door when pushed on.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:30 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post

A simple test everyone should do is with two fingers gentle push the door closed to engage the first latch. Once engaged there should be a noticeable gap between the door and the frame and the door should have some inward movement when pushed on. Now slam the door and it should be relatively even with the door frame and there should be no inward movement of the door when pushed on.
Don, since we're currently living in the coach it's easy for me to replicate the test you suggest. My results were exactly as you described.

Might I offer one modification to your test process. Your process suggests testing from outside. Since the situation where having the door securely closed will occur after having closed the door from inside, before you drive, perhaps performing the test from inside would be better.

Here's what I observed after performing the test while seated on the floor just above the step well. Closing the door gently leaves it possible to lightly press on the screen door adjacent to the passenger seat and displace the screen door about 1/4" outward. After firmly closing the door, the screen door is held tightly against the door frame, compressing the weather strip on the screen door; it's not possible to push the screen door frame outward, at all. It's also easy to hear the distinct difference the door makes when it's firmly closed.

Perhaps the key 'take away' is to simply push on the screen door frame after closing the entry door before driving, if you can move the screen door outward, it might be best to firmly re-close the entry door.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Don, since we're currently living in the coach it's easy for me to replicate the test you suggest. My results were exactly as you described.

Might I offer one modification to your test process. Your process suggests testing from outside. Since the situation where having the door securely closed will occur after having closed the door from inside, before you drive, perhaps performing the test from inside would be better.

Here's what I observed after performing the test while seated on the floor just above the step well. Closing the door gently leaves it possible to lightly press on the screen door adjacent to the passenger seat and displace the screen door about 1/4" outward. After firmly closing the door, the screen door is held tightly against the door frame, compressing the weather strip on the screen door; it's not possible to push the screen door frame outward, at all. It's also easy to hear the distinct difference the door makes when it's firmly closed.

Perhaps the key 'take away' is to simply push on the screen door frame after closing the entry door before driving, if you can move the screen door outward, it might be best to firmly re-close the entry door.

Take care,
Stu
Stu,

Good points for a test prior to driving away. My idea was more for checking if the door was adjusted properly and engaging on the secondary latch or just the first latch.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:50 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We try but sometimes fail to not slam the door when parked in a campground. That is a work in progress.

We try to more aggressively close the door when we are going to drive.

I had the door on my old Monaco gas coach open a couple times when we were on the road. That is simply no fun.

On my Entegra’s I have double locked the door. Even though the door locks automatically and we might have an issue of someone not being able to get in to get us out in an accident. I just feel safer with both the door locks fully engaged.

The entry door is about the only door that has not flown open on my Entegra coach's. Refrigerator door even though locked, wine fridge, shower door, and even my pull out kitchen counter. No I don’t drive it like I stole it, stuff just happens…..
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFunlovers View Post

The entry door is about the only door that has not flown open on my Entegra coach's. Refrigerator door even though locked, wine fridge, shower door, and even my pull out kitchen counter. No I don’t drive it like I stole it, stuff just happens…..
Thanks for giving me a laugh this morning. I really needed one.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:59 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFunlovers View Post

I don’t want to say that we can identify with you but before moving our coach, the fridge handles get a velcro strap, the drawers get a bungee cord, the pantry gets a velcro strap and the shower head gets a velcro strap. The entry door has never opened…but it does get slammed hard.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omodio View Post
We have a 2019 Aspire 44B and on our first trip last year we were going down the road and suddenly our pops open. This has never happens to us in 20 years with both gas and diesel coaches. We pulled over and this time we engaged the deadbolt as well but it happened again in a hour of driving interstate roads. Since then we have contacted Entegra CS and they provided a process to adjust the release handle. That didn’t work so they told me to contact the mfg PTL and they Privia video with step by step instructions. That didn’t work so now I am a lost for any resolution. This is not a isolated incident with Entegra and I looking for anyone that has fixed this issue. Thanks

I had the same issue with my older unit, the springs in the door handle mechanism has weakened and the bolt that holds the door closed was also worn. I installed a new latch and lock mechanism and solved the issue. Not a difficult job and requires only minimal tools.
MyFirstRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omodio View Post
We have a 2019 Aspire 44B and on our first trip last year we were going down the road and suddenly our pops open. This has never happens to us in 20 years with both gas and diesel coaches. We pulled over and this time we engaged the deadbolt as well but it happened again in a hour of driving interstate roads. Since then we have contacted Entegra CS and they provided a process to adjust the release handle. That didn’t work so they told me to contact the mfg PTL and they Privia video with step by step instructions. That didn’t work so now I am a lost for any resolution. This is not a isolated incident with Entegra and I looking for anyone that has fixed this issue. Thanks
Call Entegra customer service back and ask to speak to Joyce Skinner she will take care of you.
FLOWERSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:47 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You need to have the rubber door stop realigned.

Unfortunately, this has happened to several new Entegra owners. There is a plunger that drops down onto the entry door when the ignition is turned on. If out of adjustment, instead of pushing down to hold the door in place it pushes the door out. Realignment solves the problem. You can find information to do that in some of the Owners Center documents. It's an easy owner fix. I had the same problem (my door opened several times). Since the adjustment I haven't had the problem on my entry door. I did, however need to replace and adjust this on my bedroom pocket door.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:43 PM   #28

Refrigerator Doors Opening

If you are having trouble with refrigerator doors opening during travel, this is the device many of us have installed to cure that problem.... The Frig Fixer

https://www.amazon.com/Fridge-Fixer-.../dp/B07YNCBRCP

This is easy to install, and works great and well worth every penny it costs.

I have not seen this problem discussed in several years and am going to start a new thread to bring the issue to a new crowd.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door