Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Door valance leak Part Deux

We had a little rain a couple days while in Boise and our door valance leak started up again. Jacob rose to the occasion and coordinated a mobile guy to come fix it. He gave him preliminary places to look and talked with him again while he was at the coach. The guy found several likely suspects as well as water intrusion around several edges of various things on the roof. He also found several more missing screws the first guy missed. He worked 2-3 hours sealing and checking.

About an hour into our trip yesterday water started dripping from the center ceiling seam at the windshield. I think it was due to the nose being a little lower than it is when level. During a stop later water dripped from 3 places along the windshield. I think it is residual water from the pervious leak(s) trapped around the edges. I am a little concerned about mold build up in the ceiling but do t think there is anything to do about it now. It is on my punch list for next spring's PDI.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
What are you doing to yours to make it leak, Ive been through 2 rain storms in my new baby. Other then the water brought in by the smoking ball and chain it's been dry (knock on wood)
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #3

I had a water leak above the drivers side window. It would drip on my controls by my window and from the cabinet above the steering wheel. I only had the leak when the coach was in a down hill position, the rear higher than the front. I placed a call it Entegra and they gave me a place to inspect. I noticed that there was caulking on the window and roof on the outside of the coach but didn't appear to have a good seal. I added some sealant and the leak was down to drips. I took into the shop and they found the problem and corrected it. It was the seam between the front cap and the roof. No more leak,

I too, will have this rechecked at my PDI in August.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally View Post
I took into the shop and they found the problem and corrected it. It was the seam between the front cap and the roof. No more leak,

I too, will have this rechecked at my PDI in August.
That is the reason I will have Eternabond Tape on all of my roof seams when I get the Anthem. It's not just from the factory, but over time, if not maintained, roof seems will leak.

I just sold my TS and that was one of the commnents buyers made was the condition of the roof and if someone would go to that much trouble to maintain a roof, the rest of the coach must to be maintained perfect. It turned out to be a big selling point as well as never having to worry about leaks. JMO
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
That is the reason I will have Eternabond Tape on all of my roof seams when I get the Anthem.
To apply the tape, must you remove the existing caulking?

If I had a professional do the work what might the labor estimate be (in hours)?

How much tape do I need for the entire roof?

I have the same leak that the OP describes.

Curt
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Correction -- my leak is not the same as the OP, it's more like Shawn (finally) describes.

Curt
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
No professional needed. You do not remove the caulking, just clean the area 2 inches on both sides and the caulking with lacquer thinner. You could snap a straight line with a chalk line, but I did not, I just followed the roof seam keeping it in the center of the tape.

Peel about 3 to 4 feet of the clear backing off of the tape and carefully lay it down. Once down they say to roll it with a wallpaper seam roller, but I found the heel of my hand did a better job. Move back another 3-4 feet until and do the same thing again. Both sides of the roof and the front and back caps took less than an hour. It is really an easy job.

I took the remaining tape and cut strip 2 inches wide and did all of the vent caps, sky light, etc. seams.

I just had to replace one of my vent caps that crumble from old age. Peeled the tape off and the caulking underneath was like brand new and peel right off. I was able to change the vent cap in 5 minutes without scraping off the old caulking .
Old 12-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
To apply the tape, must you remove the existing caulking?

If I had a professional do the work what might the labor estimate be (in hours)?

How much tape do I need for the entire roof?

I have the same leak that the OP describes.

Curt
I forgot to add the amount of tape needed. On a 45 foot MH, three 50 foot rolls. That will be a roll for each side, plus 8 foot for each cap and enough for the roof vent, sky light seams, etc. With the 38 footer I was able to do it with two rolls and had tape left over. If you measure the seam lengths, you might be able to get by with two rolls, but it would be tight.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
The Eternabond web site lists multiple products. The tapes for roofs seem to be Roofseal, Roofseal Plus and Webseal (this last needs to have UV protector also applied). Which of these will you use? And are you using the 4" width?
mfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know if the tape will work on the Entegra. I was just up on my roof looking to see if all the calking was ok and the roof it heavily textured, almost like restaurant walls.
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-John View Post
I don't know if the tape will work on the Entegra. I was just up on my roof looking to see if all the calking was ok and the roof it heavily textured, almost like restaurant walls.
Enternabond will stick to anything even composition shingle roofs, which is what it was designed for originally. The texture on an Entegra roof shouldn't bother the adhesion a bit. You should have seen how rough the caulking was on the TS, the Eternabond stuck to it with no problem. But again, I have not seen the roof of an Entegra yet.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Sounds like its a TPO roof.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Sounds like its a TPO roof.
Yes it does, not a fiberglass roof.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I give - what is TPO and is it good or bad?