RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Drain Holes in slide toppers

This is why you need to drill holes. This is the DS. Drained for a good few minutes. With John Rugarber, waiting for service at NIRCV in Atlanta.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	2879877Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0375.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	287988

Capt. Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 04:25 AM   #2
aza

Can you provide specifics regarding the drain holes? Such as what size hole (1/4 inch?) Location of the hole(s) in the slide topper?

aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:34 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aza View Post
Can you provide specifics regarding the drain holes? Such as what size hole (1/4 inch?) Location of the hole(s) in the slide topper?

1/4 inch drill. No deeper than 3/8 deep. 6 inches in from the end.
Capt. Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:54 AM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sorry, I don't quite understand the situation? I can see the drip down the side of the slide but don't understand what is going on.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The drip is coming from the holes drilled. Water will accumulate in the end of the unit and more than likely cause damage down the road. We had a pretty good rain a couple of days ago and mine dripped out for an hour after, otherwise the water would still be in there.

There have been a couple of threads in the last 18 months about this. Someone even provided a link to the manufacturers recommendation on where to drill the holes. Funny, why didn't they do that?
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #6

Gary,
It was in the heat of the moment (no pun intended) and we wanted to illustrate the amount of water that can be held in the awning rail, the stream of water exiting was similar to a drinking fountain!!!
At the time I couldn’t find my PDF of the Girard instructions to post but as you mentioned, there are a number of threads relating to this project including the most recent, that identified newer models with a “slot” at the end cap that allows for drainage. It is an easy and highly recommended project to complete.
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Found this a good while ago on-line somewhere, no reason to believe it is not a valid response from Girard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A79748CB-6EAB-4A55-9DCA-6D3DF7BFC3F5.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	288157  
Lasmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #8

Lasmck,
Thanx, those instructions are exactly what I could not find earlier.
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:20 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
The drip is coming from the holes drilled. Water will accumulate in the end of the unit and more than likely cause damage down the road. We had a pretty good rain a couple of days ago and mine dripped out for an hour after, otherwise the water would still be in there.

There have been a couple of threads in the last 18 months about this. Someone even provided a link to the manufacturers recommendation on where to drill the holes. Funny, why didn't they do that?
I should have said why didn't Girard drill the holes if they knew it should be done. Sorry for the confusion.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #10

I was the one suggesting cutting a relief in the end

I had water retention in my Girard covers, and suggested cutting a relief in the bottom of the steel end supports that would allow the water to flow, and take the debris with it. I have some photos if anyone is interested how I did
this. Caution: Make sure you follow Girard Manual and their safety precaution. I will PM them the Photos, and explain my reasoning behind my approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrugarber View Post
Gary,
It was in the heat of the moment (no pun intended) and we wanted to illustrate the amount of water that can be held in the awning rail, the stream of water exiting was similar to a drinking fountain!!!
At the time I couldn’t find my PDF of the Girard instructions to post but as you mentioned, there are a number of threads relating to this project including the most recent, that identified newer models with a “slot” at the end cap that allows for drainage. It is an easy and highly recommended project to complete.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Entegra_Endcap_before[1].jpg
Views:	6
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	288241   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200101_121146[1].jpg
Views:	5
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	288242  

billb3672 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags