Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2020, 04:51 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Draining and refilling DEF tank question

The other day I drained 2 year old DEF from my tank and refilled it with fresh DEF. I now have the check engine light on, DEF gauge is Amber (digital dash) and will not show a DEF level

I cycled 12v power both house and chassis, no change. Started the coach, no change. Called Spartan and they told me to drive it before it would register. I am having a problem with that, nothing has changed in the system, only the tank drained and filled. Has anyone experienced this?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 05:56 AM   #2

Yes, after I drained no change, then I drove it for about 10 miles, and then the Spartan code appeared...the DEF head needed replacement. One thing that you might do is to pull the dash fuse and recycle the dash (Spartan can instruct on its location)...that has helped clear the amber light on my Entegra, I experienced after the new DEEF head replacement.
Trapper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:15 AM   #3

Chuck

It seems logical that you are either going to have to get the coach moving to get DEF out of the line and system or let the coach idle in the hangar for an extensive period of time to get the old DEF out of the system. Its a bit surprising to me that your DEF is as "sour" (smelly) as you said it was. If it was as strong an odor as you indicated, it really must be old.

You might be able to purge it out of the line leading up to the Cummins simply by pulling the feed off the sensor head and making sure that all of that is clear and coated with fresh DEF.

As you have seen, many others (including me) have had DEF problems. Mine was supposedly a DEF pump that needed to be replaced, but I always suspicioned that it involved the head but I watched the replacement and it seemed the only change was at the bottom of the tank.

From memory, I think you have a shop that you are comfortable with near you that does your Cummins work.... driving there might be sufficient to clear the codes. Good luck.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:39 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I'll drive the coach up 41 today and see what happens. I just can't believe that draining a tank and refilling it would cause the reading to stop working. If it doesn't correct, I'll call Spartan and let them worry about it. If it goes into limp mode, I hope the 3 year coach net is good.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:40 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper56 View Post
Yes, after I drained no change, then I drove it for about 10 miles, and then the Spartan code appeared...the DEF head needed replacement. One thing that you might do is to pull the dash fuse and recycle the dash (Spartan can instruct on its location)...that has helped clear the amber light on my Entegra, I experienced after the new DEEF head replacement.

Thanks for that feedback. I may have caused my own problem by fixing another problem.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
brobox

I had 2" of DEF sludge in the bottom of my tank that fouled the pump, filter, nozzle and line. Dealer purged system, cleaned everything, replaced filter and put in new DEF and running good but haven't had it on a long trip yet.

The Cummins Coach Care Tech told me that as DEF ages the Urea reading drops and it turns into sludge in the bottom of the tank.

You should be able to drive the DP as is but once you get the DEF failure light on the dash don't stop, don't let the engine idle - keep going till you get home OR to a repair center. Should be able to go about 60 miles before engine goes into derate and drops your speed to 5mph which allows you to get off the road and then shuts down. I could start mine and the codes came up with the dash yellow and red light on. Dealer over rode the Cummins program and drove it 200 miles to the shop to repair it. Had to stop and override twice.

Cummins Coach Care tech told me never to fill my 13 gal DEF tank unless I'm planning on being on the road for over 4,000 miles and even then he recommended no more than half and add at 1/4.

I just received my refractometer yesterday. If DEF Urea drops below 32.5 all I have to do is add fresh DEF to bring it back up.

Freightliner had a article in the 2017 Fall issue about DEF and they recommend draining DEF tank annually to get rid of old DEF. I think if we get in the habit of checking it regularly this wouldn't be necessary.

If you have continued problems consider checking your DEF line, filter and nozzle to insure all is clean. I suspect, from the DEF age that it will be full of sludge as mine was.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 07-10-2020, 07:18 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Richard, the DEF that was drained out of the tank was clean, no sludge, just strong smelling. The engine has not been run, so nothing to plug up the filter, etc. That was the reason I changed the DEF before it did cause any damage. However after starting the engien trying to get the DEF gauge to work, an error message came up that the DEF "consent ration was strong." I'll run it and see what happens, thanks for your help.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Richard, the DEF that was drained out of the tank was clean, no sludge, just strong smelling. The engine has not been run, so nothing to plug up the filter, etc. That was the reason I changed the DEF before it did cause any damage. However after starting the engien trying to get the DEF gauge to work, an error message came up that the DEF "consent ration was strong." I'll run it and see what happens, thanks for your help.
How much DEF did you add to the tank?

My first high mile DEF was a new 6.7 F350 in 2011

Ran it for 200k and used every cheap jug as well as pump DEF

Never an issue and it sat for months in the off season, never drained or replaced anything
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #9

This could be a good example on why owners should not let their coach sit for a long period of time! I would have driven the coach a few times during that two year period just to make sure that everything was lubed and brought up to temperature. How many miles do you have on your coach?
Glider114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Now I might not ...

You folks have me scared.....

I was going to drain and refill mine, but now I don't want to

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #11

Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. This is my fourth Mh with DEF and never had a problem with any of them. When it’s low I fill it. For several years I topped off the tank and let it set for 6-8 months while we were in Fl during the winter. I do and have checked it with a refractometer and it’s always checked good.
I’ve used the Walmart blue plastic jugs 95% of the time. I’m sure it’s a pain to have problems with it, but guess I’ll just keep doing what I’ve been doing.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
UPDATE
Drove the 20 miles sloshed the tank as instructed by Spartan . As I thought, it did nothing. A bad DEF head with only 1,953 miles. Can't believe it, change DEF and it killed the DEF head and sensor.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
UPDATE
Drove the 20 miles sloshed the tank as instructed by Spartan . As I thought, it did nothing. A bad DEF head with only 1,953 miles. Can't believe it, change DEF and it killed the DEF head and sensor.
That’s what you get for being proactive!😀😀
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. This is my fourth Mh with DEF and never had a problem with any of them. When it’s low I fill it. For several years I topped off the tank and let it set for 6-8 months while we were in Fl during the winter. I do and have checked it with a refractometer and it’s always checked good.

I’ve used the Walmart blue plastic jugs 95% of the time. I’m sure it’s a pain to have problems with it, but guess I’ll just keep doing what I’ve been doing.
I have never had an issue with DEF either and have done about the same

All these issues are with faulty equipment it seems
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank