Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 08:25 PM   #1

Driving Without Exhaust Tip?

I discovered our exhaust tip is missing today while washing the coach. It was there yesterday morning but somewhere between St Mary, Mt and Kalispell I lost it. So my question is “Is there any harm in driving 5 hours without it?” We are leaving tomorrow for Coeur d’Alene, Idaho and tomorrow being Sunday I doubt I can find a new one here.

Also, who would be a good scource for a good quality tip and is it 4”?

Thanks for your help.
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #2

On your way some quality truck stops have a quality chrome shop and sell exhaust tips chrome items of all types for the owner operator truckers. You could look at those options during your travels. With the tip missing does the exhaust blow directly on the fiberglass body around the area it is routed? If so I would be weary of any hot exhaust blowing on the fiberglass body because of distortion to it and or damage to the exterior paint being damage due to the direct exhaust.. I know some exhaust temps get up to 1000 degrees according to the pyrometer.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I doubt it, could blow some soot up behind the rear cap. How far have you driven with it off? any damage?
You can find tips at Walmart sometimes or most auto parts stores. Look for a place that caters to the kids hot rodding diesel trucks. Amazon has several pages of tips.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
This is what happened to my rear cap after losing my tip! Different coach I agree, maybe my temps are lower?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	208274  
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Other Entegra owners have reported heat damage. There was a period where exhaust tips were coming off and a few posts made. Might want to try the search bar for those posts. I do remember one where the mud flap was melted.

If a regeneration cycle kicks in while traveling the tempreture can reach 1800 degrees.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:58 AM   #6

Our Aspire has the K2-450 just like your Anthem. I’ve spent a lot of time fooling around with our exhaust tip after Cummins crushed the original tip.

In short, I wouldn’t drive it. Go get a new one and then proceed.

You’re looking for a tip that angles down. The portion where it attaches to the exhaust system will likely require trimming to length.

Also, ensure you still have the band clamp.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Our Aspire has the K2-450 just like your Anthem. I’ve spent a lot of time fooling around with our exhaust tip after Cummins crushed the original tip.

In short, I wouldn’t drive it. Go get a new one and then proceed.

You’re looking for a tip that angles down. The portion where it attaches to the exhaust system will likely require trimming to length.

Also, ensure you still have the band clamp.

-Matt

In addition to the band clamp, many of us have added a few sheet metal screws (through the exhaust tip & tail pipe) for added security.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #8

My opinion is that you run a real risk of serious fiberglass and paint damage if you run without the downturn exhaust tip installed. I would use the toad to find a dealer and buy it and take it back to the coach rather than drive the coach to the dealer. I think this could be a real problem.

My new Cornerstone has a readout of general engine parameters that scrolls across the screen as you drive, if you select it. I saw this for the first time day before yesterday. One of the pieces of data that scrolls across is the temperature of the exhaust and I was absolutely astounded to see that my exhaust was 530 degrees in the middle of the afternoon. Now that is the 605 engine and it is truely a beast, but 530 degrees?? Now I much more fully understand why my front, passenger side tire of my Honda runs hotter and with higher pressure than any of the other tires, and why the front right part of the hood and car aluminum is significantly hotter than the rest of the car to touch. Wow.... I would not run any distance without that downturn in place.

And, that downturn tail piece has been reported by others falling off with more than a few other owners. A couple of drilled holes and screws to anchor that tail piece would appear to be something we all need to do.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I had the turn down fall off on our 2017 cornerstone. Did lots of damage. Dryer vent was in the engine compartmenrt melted. Hot exhaust gas went into the dryer and melted the wiring. Also melted the 120 V outlets in closet. Must have been very close the a interior fire. ENTEGRA SHOULD OVER NIGHT A REPLACEMENT under warranty. Dangerous situation.
Good luck
Ron
Old 06-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Now I much more fully understand why my front, passenger side tire of my Honda runs hotter and with higher pressure than any of the other tires, and why the front right part of the hood and car aluminum is significantly hotter than the rest of the car to touch. Wow.... I would not run any distance without that downturn in place.

Gary:

I have been thinking about rotating the downturn to make the exhaust go to the side. Do you think that would help with the heat on the toad and tires?
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #11

Dave

I really dont know, but I would guess that while it might improve the heat situation on the Honda, it might significantly worsen the heat situation to the fiberglass on the rear cap of the coach.

I will keep an eye on the Honda and see if there is any real damage, but will keep the exhaust right where the factory put it (but hopefully more secure from falling off than it appears that it might come from the factory.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:20 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, I have run the last 2 MH's with the exhaust tip turned 45 degrees to the right. It helps with the dust and heat off to the side.

The Cummins owners manual states that regeneration temperatures can reach 1,800 degrees....that is a lot of heat.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Dave, I have run the last 2 MH's with the exhaust tip turned 45 degrees to the right. It helps with the dust and heat off to the side.

The Cummins owners manual states that regeneration temperatures can reach 1,800 degrees....that is a lot of heat.
That's where my tip is set also.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Find a NAPA store. They will have the stainless clamp you need and will either have the tip or can get one overnight. My 5" clamp failed in Port Aransas, TX and the local NAPA store had one.

There is a NAPA in Klasispell