Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
DTV Wired Mini Genie or Wireless Mini Genie

We will go with Direct TV for now. The question now is do we want the wired mini Genie or the wireless mini Genie? These are going in a 2017 Anthem 44A.

Direct TV referred me to Winegard as soon as they heard it was for an RV. Winegard said that if you sign up for service with them you get the Genie receiver and wired mini genies for additional TV's. What is the feeling from those that have systems now, wired mini's or wireless mini's.

Curious, is Winegard the only way to get the Direct service and the receivers?

tks

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #2

Jim

You have coax built into the coach assuming that you have the DVR placed above the fireplace. If so, then you have coax out to the other locations. I have one mini wired Genie in the bedroom TV center. The outside TV is yoked to the main TV so you dont need one either there or for above the dash.

Works great so far. I hate paying two big bills each month, but while on the road, turn the house DISH set up off, and while home turn the coach DirecTV off so if I am prompt with what I do, I only pay one bill per month.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:59 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We've got wireless. We like the new Genie remotes and the boxes fit while the older larger boxes would not.

FWIW - We had our outside TV slaved to the bedroom instead of the Main TV.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post
We've got wireless. We like the new Genie remotes and the boxes fit while the older larger boxes would not.

FWIW - We had our outside TV slaved to the bedroom instead of the Main TV.
I would like to switch my outside TV to be hooked to receiver in the bedroom, but have yet to figure out an easy way. Can you share how you did it please.
weirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirba View Post
I would like to switch my outside TV to be hooked to receiver in the bedroom, but have yet to figure out an easy way. Can you share how you did it please.
It was pretty easy - I simply pointed to the BR Tv and asked NIRVC to make them work together....

Sorry for the comment - wish I could be more help
Old 06-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #6

Have been using a wireless genie and mini genie for over two years. Works great. The one downside, according to DTV the video bridge needs to be around 6 feet away from the Genie. I have found 3 feet works good. To use a wireless package requires three or more parts. Genie, video bridge, both of which are coax connected, plus up to three wireless mini genies. I was able to hookup easily because I already had a previous 4 wire system. So the video bridge goes into a cabinet in the bed room.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #7

Unless you have RG-6 cabling to each TV location and where you put the HR-44/54 you will want to use the wireless bridge and wireless clients (C41W). I have the video bridge in the same compartment as the HR-44 and it works well there. The bridge is quite powerful and the signal will make through almost everything but the frig. Suit for an HR-54 and avoid the hassle of the separate antenna power supply
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #8

Can you specify infrared or RF remotes when you order or have your DTV equipment installed?
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Can you specify infrared or RF remotes when you order or have your DTV equipment installed?
Ours are RF. That is what we were offered at NIRVC. They are linked separately to the genies so they don't interfere with each other.

As noted, we have the Outside and Bedroom TV's linked. Our idea, which might not be for everyone, is that way both systems have sitting areas (Outdoors and Living Room). The standard hookup means that if you don't want to watch what is on in the LR, your only option is to lie on the bed.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Have been using a wireless genie and mini genie for over two years. Works great. The one downside, according to DTV the video bridge needs to be around 6 feet away from the Genie. I have found 3 feet works good. To use a wireless package requires three or more parts. Genie, video bridge, both of which are coax connected, plus up to three wireless mini genies. I was able to hookup easily because I already had a previous 4 wire system. So the video bridge goes into a cabinet in the bed room.
Our video bridge sits right next to the Genie and works just fine.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #11

The remotes than come with the HR-44/54 and the clients all come with IR pre-programmed in They all have the RF capability (as does the HR-44/54 and it is a simple set of six keystrokes to change them over. When the remote is changed to RF, if is pointed to the Genie or client it will change them to RF also. To set up the TV functions in the remote select program remote in the system menu and follow the instructions. Generally it whats to know what the make and model of the TV. Since the TV is only IR you have to point the remote at the TV to change volume and turn the TV on/off. Everything else is RF
Old 06-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #12

Depends on how your coach is wired. In our Hurricane there is video switch box in a cabinet above the microwave. It had three HDMI cable each running to a TV. The two wireless clients are in that cabinet: one for the bedroom TV and one for the outside TV. The main TV is wired directly to the HR-44. Each client has its own remote so be sure you label the remotes or the DF will not be happy when the system won't work for her. Wonder how I know that?
Old 06-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #13

We recently converted our direct tv receivers over to the genie system . The installation took about 1 hour. The installer highly recommended hard wired and we agreed. We also had installed when we bought the coach a separate satellite feed to the exterior tv. With the size and RF we are able to operate all three tv's independently. I believe this separate feed has now been adopted as standard at least on the cornerstones.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum Eric Linde
Ericlinde is offline   Reply With Quote