Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2023, 05:01 PM   #1

Dumping tag axle.

Spartan chassis is designed to dump the tag axle when in reverse. You also have the button for manual dump as you need it. The question is, when I’m backing due to low clearance sometimes I don’t want to dump the tag. Any options?
Barlow1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2023, 07:33 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think the dumping is automatic but I have not really seen this changing my clearance or ride height.

My coach has an option to raise the ride height. As long as you go very slow. I think that works in reverse as well.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 07:37 PM   #3

Yeah mines a classic 2012 42 DLQ. And on my tag dump switch I do not have a off auto or manual. It automatically dumps in reverse or you can hold the button down manually in drive to drop the tag. Perhaps I just need to buy the three stage switch and install it. Any thoughts? Come on Stu your full of knowledge.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:44 PM   #4

OK one more thing I need to add. So when I bought it years ago it would not dump with the tag even in reverse, you had to depress and hold the switch manually as you reversed. Then I replaced all of the house batteries and it started automatically just dumping in reverse which is the way I understand it was designed. Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2023, 07:47 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
A 3 way switch will not prevent dumping in reverse. That is controlled by one of the computers, I assume the transmission one.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 07:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow1020 View Post
Yeah mines a classic 2012 42 DLQ. And on my tag dump switch I do not have a off auto or manual. It automatically dumps in reverse or you can hold the button down manually in drive to drop the tag. Perhaps I just need to buy the three stage switch and install it. Any thoughts? Come on Stu your full of knowledge.
On my 2015 44b (classic) I had to add a rocker switch in the drivers side switch panel and bring up wiring from the SCM (spartan control module) located below the coach near the steering gear box. The new switch interrupts the signal to dump the tag when in reverse. I found the advise on how to do this in the "modification" file here. This let's me navigate my steep ish driveway without dragging the hitch.

Hope this helps!
John 2015 44b
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:08 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK, I'll take the challenge.

First, though, a couple of questions for you. On what do you base the statement that dumping the tag has an effect on clearance? To the best of my understanding, clearance is an issue that's related to ride height and dumping the tag doesn't effect the ride height. Like Hal, my '18 Anthem allows for either an increase or decrease in ride height that is enabled at low speeds. Here's a description of that system:

SLS Quick Ref Guide-Hadley.pdf

The speeds referenced (5MPH and 20MPH) don't specify forward speed or reverse speed.

Second, your suggestion that replacing "house" batteries had an effect on your tag dump doesn't make much sense, to me. It would seem logical that the tag dump is purely a chassis system and would only be powered by the chassis batteries. I'd expect that the tag dump system is completely independent of the house 12v system. That's just an assumption on my part.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. I know a lot, but, I don't know everything...yet.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
OK, I'll take the challenge.

First, though, a couple of questions for you. On what do you base the statement that dumping the tag has an effect on clearance? To the best of my understanding, clearance is an issue that's related to ride height and dumping the tag doesn't effect the ride height. Like Hal, my '18 Anthem allows for either an increase or decrease in ride height that is enabled at low speeds. Here's a description of that system:

Attachment 390606

The speeds referenced (5MPH and 20MPH) don't specify forward speed or reverse speed.

Second, your suggestion that replacing "house" batteries had an effect on your tag dump doesn't make much sense, to me. It would seem logical that the tag dump is purely a chassis system and would only be powered by the chassis batteries. I'd expect that the tag dump system is completely independent of the house 12v system. That's just an assumption on my part.

Take care,

Stu

P.S. I know a lot, but, I don't know everything...yet.
I'm not the OP here but I can assure you that my Aspire would set down a measured 4" at the tow bars when backing from street to drive when the tag dumped in reverse. Overriding the dump brings me to 1" of clearance with the help of the tag suspension...

Works for me!

John
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:55 PM   #9

OK let me clarify. I replaced house batteries AND chassis batteries at the same time.I fully understand the house batteries aren’t going to interfere with the chassis.Secondly, if I do dump my tag it does sag the back end down maybe 1-to 1 1/2 inches, And I know for a fact before I replaced the chassis batteries it was NOT dumping my tag in reverse,Because I remember having to hold the button down in reverse and steering with one hand and look in the mirror and thinking how stupid that was.And possibly it does not change my ride height,but as I’m backing into some thing that has a grade I want air pressure in my tags so I don’t scrape my ass end.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:06 PM   #10

I wish I had that Hadley air ride that you newer models have but the classics don’t have it unfortunately.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:59 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorse1 View Post
I'm not the OP here but I can assure you that my Aspire would set down a measured 4" at the tow bars when backing from street to drive when the tag dumped in reverse. Overriding the dump brings me to 1" of clearance with the help of the tag suspension...

Works for me!

John
There were several posts, as you mentioned, that 14 and 15's were doing this mod. IIRC the instructions came from Ted Cook at Entegra. It helped many clear their steep driveways and ramps.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:25 AM   #12

I’m wondering if the previous owner had done some thing so that tag would not dump in reverse as it was designed to do? But with me changing the chassis batteries it cleared it out possibly? I don’t know. I will call Spartan. If anybody knows where the threat is for that mod please link it below. Many thanks
Old 04-17-2023, 08:38 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So, I’m trying to understand the effect on ride height when the tag axle is dumped.

Does the height of the house above the chassis frame (ride height) decrease when the tag is dumped?

Or, does the effective rear overhang change due to the change of the pivot point moving from the tag axle to the drive axle?

I can understand that with the tag axle dumped, during a transition from level pavement to an incline (like from a street to a driveway) the clearance angle from the drive axle pivot point to the rear overhang would be less, even though the ride height has not changed.

So, my question is: Does dumping the tag axle actually decrease ride height?

Thanks for enlightening me.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-17-2023, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post

So, my question is: Does dumping the tag axle actually decrease ride height?

Take care,
Stu
If the tag air is released, I would think the ride height sensors would then add air to the drive bags bringing coach level back up. I know my Sob does
Turbojack is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, tag axle