Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
But at Colorado School of Mines they have the Broncos and some of the best skiing in the country Although NOT cheap. Also a nice RV Park close to the campus, Dakota Ridge.

Ahh, Chuck you are correct about Colorado. It's really pretty there, although their change in laws may bring new meaning to the John Denver song "Rocky Mountain High."

I've been trying to post my comparisons to the different things we saw at the Tampa Show and good old Bill Gates and his Internet Explorer have caused me to type the darn thing five times and only to have the program bomb out just as I finished. I will try again later to answer your question about the different models.

Ed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Ahh, Chuck you are correct about Colorado. It's really pretty there, although their change in laws may bring new meaning to the John Denver song "Rocky Mountain High."

I've been trying to post my comparisons to the different things we saw at the Tampa Show and good old Bill Gates and his Internet Explorer have caused me to type the darn thing five times and only to have the program bomb out just as I finished. I will try again later to answer your question about the different models.

Ed
One thing about CO they did find away to tax "Rocky Mountain High"

I hear that about IE, I finally had to give up on it a long time ago. For some reason my last computer hated IE.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #31

Nor'easters Club
Chuck,

As I'm sure you already know .....DW knows best. Besides, when I'm ready for my next upgrade in a couple of years you can sell that one to me and pick up a new 2017/18 with a boatload of upgrades that haven't even been imagined yet.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

P.S. Some of us still want to hear TS stories!!
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #32

Chuck, I'm trying again, but this time in Google Chrome.

When we went to the show we had certain criteria we felt we wanted to have on our next motorhome. It had to be a tag axle unit with a booth dinette and that would sleep at least four. We particularly wanted to check out the Entegras. We've been to the factory twice and our potential service center is Buffalo RV which is just a few miles from our house and my office. These factors helped push us toward Entegra to begin with.

We hit the Entegra display and had a chance to talk to Joyce and several of the other factory reps at the show. We wanted to go with a DLQ model with the booth and then option in the queen hide-a-bed. Well, lo and behold, Entegra doesn't make that option available any longer. This narrowed down our search to the Aspire 44U, possibly, or the Anthem 44SL probably. Both were at the show so this helped on the comparison side of things.

The 44U may work for us, but the key will be the dimensions of the hide-a-bed on the U. If the bed is a queen or close to a queen then it will work. If it's a standard size, then it won't. My preference though was to go with the Anthem. We spent a lot of time in the 44SL. It is a very nice unit that would fit our needs very well. The only down side to it is that the refrigerator opens against the dividing post on the driver's side. This means that you can't stand in front of the frig and open the doors and look inside unless you are very, very slender, which I am not. Other than that one item the 44SL is just about perfect.

So we decided to check out the others in what I would call the mid-level luxury coaches. We looked at the Tiffins but I wouldn't go with a Tiffin until I could be sure they have solved their many structural issues. So far I don't see that happening and I'm not about to go spend weeks and months in Red Bay awaiting repairs. Yes, I'm aware that there are many out there who have had no issues, but I just can't take a chance that I would have major issues with a $300,000 to $400,000 expenditure so that eliminated the Tiffins. American Coach was another possibility but I'm skittish about their multiple owners in the last several years. Mega corporate owners and good customer service don't seem to be a common thread. Large corporate owners don't give me warm and fuzzy feelings so this left us with Entegra's cousin, the Newmar.

So we wandered over to the Newmar display. We did look at all of their units. The Ventanna had too much of an entry level feel to it for our purposes and their top models of the Mountain Aire, Essex, and King Aire are meant for folks with a lot more in resources than I have. We got targeted onto the Dutch Star pretty quickly. The unit we were most in tuned with was the 4369. This is a rather innovative design in that there is a full sized hide-a-bed couch on the driver's side and a counter with two swivel stools on the passenger side. There is also a TV that comes up out of the counter. The workmanship was good on the Newmar and it seemed like a very comfortable and functional unit. We also had a chance to drive both an Essex and a Dutch Star. Both had the Comfort Drive and yes, it does make a difference. Is it a deal maker or breaker? For me it wouldn't be, but for others it may be. Ironically the Essex rattled a lot while the Dutch Star was pretty quiet.

Now to the downside of the Dutch Star. After hearing all the reasons that you all have posted about going with a Spartan chassis, I'm disappointed that the Newmar is still on a Freightliner. I would have much rather had the Spartan under my new coach. Also I just didn't like the awnings on the Dutch Star. They appear to be the same as what I have on my Berkshire and they are not particularly functional. Certainly they are not in the same class as the Gerard's on the Anthem.

So now we have things narrowed down. In about a year I'll know where my twins are headed and what my financial commitment will be for their education. That will pretty much tell the tale of what we will do. Now if you see me show up on the pop up camper sites, you'll know the girls went expensive.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I tried to show Karen the changes to the 2015 Anthem that were posted on RVOne's website and she wouldn't even look at them. We waited a year for the 2014 changes and she does not want to wait another year for a 2015. There are some nice changes on the list, but somewhere you have to draw the line and get back on the road. Will we trade up at a later date, probably not, but I see a few things that I may add to my 2014 and probably save a few thousand.
Has anybody heard what the up-charges are going to be?
Maybe you would also wish to trade up on your wife Karen or update a few things on her!
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

So now we have things narrowed down. In about a year I'll know where my twins are headed and what my financial commitment will be for their education. That will pretty much tell the tale of what we will do. Now if you see me show up on the pop up camper sites, you'll know the girls went expensive.
Your write up was very well stated, good luck on college choices
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Lou, Thanks for letting me know that TS is not a dirty word to some.

Ed, I really enjoyed your in-depth report. It is interesting to me to see what others needs are. I am always looking at what makes a good "re-sale" and why people make those choices. One thing with your time frame....the perfect floor plan could be introduced at anytime if there are enough request for it. There have been two floor-plan addition/changes since we ordered ours only 4.04 months ago. I looked at the pictures of the 44SL and we are wishing the refrigerator was in that location on the RBQ that we ordered. That is the major concern for us is the refrig location in the RBQ and we hope we can get use to it. We had the SL location in our brand X MH and really liked it. To us it is a "right hand" refrig location, where the refrig location is "left hand" to the kitchen in the RBQ. Even for us, our floor plan is not perfect.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, they were very interesting.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I tried to show Karen the changes to the 2015 Anthem that were posted on RVOne's website and she wouldn't even look at them. We waited a year for the 2014 changes and she does not want to wait another year for a 2015. There are some nice changes on the list, but somewhere you have to draw the line and get back on the road. Will we trade up at a later date, probably not, but I see a few things that I may add to my 2014 and probably save a few thousand.

Has anybody heard what the up-charges are going to be?
You can't back out now!!! Seriously, I need your feedback on which Eternabond size you are going with. Although the 2015 changes look very interesting........hmmmmmmmm. Ok back to reality, DW is giving me threatening looks.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #37

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
We had the SL location in our brand X MH and really liked it.

Brand X..........Now that's funny !!!!!!

Lou
05 Brand X Envoy
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
The Eternabond will be ordered as soon as I bring the Anthem home. I will post a picture of the seams and what I find up there. I checked the roll I had left from the brand X MH and it was 4 inch Eternabond. From the photos I have seen posted on others Entegra seams, it looks like it will take at least 4 inch width. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
Brand X..........Now that's funny !!!!!!

Lou
05 Brand X Envoy
Just trying to keep "everyone" happy.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
I have been installing Eternabond on my roof a little at a time. The 4 inch is what you want. Order it in black, because black is less likely to be seen from below if you get too close to the edge.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #41

You already answered it!

Quote:
Chuck, I'm trying again, but this time in Google Chrome.

When we went to the show we had certain criteria we felt we wanted to have on our next motorhome. It had to be a tag axle unit with a booth dinette and that would sleep at least four. We particularly wanted to check out the Entegras. We've been to the factory twice and our potential service center is Buffalo RV which is just a few miles from our house and my office. These factors helped push us toward Entegra to begin with.

We hit the Entegra display and had a chance to talk to Joyce and several of the other factory reps at the show. We wanted to go with a DLQ model with the booth and then option in the queen hide-a-bed. Well, lo and behold, Entegra doesn't make that option available any longer. This narrowed down our search to the Aspire 44U, possibly, or the Anthem 44SL probably. Both were at the show so this helped on the comparison side of things.

The 44U may work for us, but the key will be the dimensions of the hide-a-bed on the U. If the bed is a queen or close to a queen then it will work. If it's a standard size, then it won't. My preference though was to go with the Anthem. We spent a lot of time in the 44SL. It is a very nice unit that would fit our needs very well. The only down side to it is that the refrigerator opens against the dividing post on the driver's side. This means that you can't stand in front of the frig and open the doors and look inside unless you are very, very slender, which I am not. Other than that one item the 44SL is just about perfect.

So we decided to check out the others in what I would call the mid-level luxury coaches. We looked at the Tiffins but I wouldn't go with a Tiffin until I could be sure they have solved their many structural issues. So far I don't see that happening and I'm not about to go spend weeks and months in Red Bay awaiting repairs. Yes, I'm aware that there are many out there who have had no issues, but I just can't take a chance that I would have major issues with a $300,000 to $400,000 expenditure so that eliminated the Tiffins. American Coach was another possibility but I'm skittish about their multiple owners in the last several years. Mega corporate owners and good customer service don't seem to be a common thread. Large corporate owners don't give me warm and fuzzy feelings so this left us with Entegra's cousin, the Newmar.

So we wandered over to the Newmar display. We did look at all of their units. The Ventanna had too much of an entry level feel to it for our purposes and their top models of the Mountain Aire, Essex, and King Aire are meant for folks with a lot more in resources than I have. We got targeted onto the Dutch Star pretty quickly. The unit we were most in tuned with was the 4369. This is a rather innovative design in that there is a full sized hide-a-bed couch on the driver's side and a counter with two swivel stools on the passenger side. There is also a TV that comes up out of the counter. The workmanship was good on the Newmar and it seemed like a very comfortable and functional unit. We also had a chance to drive both an Essex and a Dutch Star. Both had the Comfort Drive and yes, it does make a difference. Is it a deal maker or breaker? For me it wouldn't be, but for others it may be. Ironically the Essex rattled a lot while the Dutch Star was pretty quiet.

Now to the downside of the Dutch Star. After hearing all the reasons that you all have posted about going with a Spartan chassis, I'm disappointed that the Newmar is still on a Freightliner. I would have much rather had the Spartan under my new coach. Also I just didn't like the awnings on the Dutch Star. They appear to be the same as what I have on my Berkshire and they are not particularly functional. Certainly they are not in the same class as the Gerard's on the Anthem.

You solved it-stay out of the fridge and you will slender down and in about a year when your ready, that 44SL will be a " perfect fit for your needs" just as you said! Ha Ha!

Ron.
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:53 AM   #42

Ron,

My wife wants me to stay out the frig already so it won't be a huge issue.

As others have stated, owning any motorhome is a series of trade offs. It really is no different that owning a stick and brick house. When you build your own, which I have done, there are always things that are in the "Wouldn't it be nice if....." and off you go to spend more money. As a perfect example, I built a standard sixties style 1600 square foot ranch in the mid-70's which has been remodeled and expanded five times.

As we are on our fourth rig, we have improved on the niceties to a point where we are finally ready, or will be in about a year, to get what we really want or think we want. Perhaps the operative term there is "think we want" but we'll keep looking until we find the best unit for us. Entegra is still at the top of the list.

Ed