Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2018, 11:29 AM   #1

ECM Updates

Before we bought Entegra we owned a 2012 40í Tiffin Phaeton for six years. We sold our phaeton outright and bought into a 2017 aspire last year. We are coming up into the first year of ownership in April. We have stayed in touch with the couple who bought our phaeton and have actually become friends with them.

I take pride in running a tight ship as far as routine maintenance and cleanliness and educating myself as much as possible about our coach. I found out that my new friend does as well. He has made a number of improvements over the last year and travels in his coach quite frequently. I had digital copies of anything that generated paperwork on our phaeton all categorized and filed away for a potential new owners review just as I have for our aspire.

When he purchased our phaeton it was time for yearly (chassis) routine maintenance. As part of the deal we worked out he was going to pay for that after delivery. After he took care of this he called and asked if I had ever had ECM updates done on the motor. I said well no I havenít had that done specifically. I always had my oil and filter changes along with the freightliner chassis maintenance schedule performed at an oasis freightliner facility. I printed a copy of the chassis maintenance schedule and walked it into the service advisor and said; ďhere, do this.Ē

My new friend took the phaeton to a Cummins shop to have his oil/filters changed along with the fuel filter/separator. They advised him that the ECMís had never been updated and needed to be done. They did it for him and he rode out fat, dumb and happy.

Fast forward to today. Itís time to get routine maintenance done on the aspire and I began to think about the ECM update story. I thought I might call the Cummins shop and ask for a quote on an oil change/filter/fuel filter/fuel separator change along with a check of the ECMís for updates. The rest of the chassis maintenance items I would have done elsewhere.

I called the Cummins shop and talked to the service guy and he says yeah we can do that for ya, but youíre gonna need to bring your wallet. Iím like, ok well why donít you give me a quote. The oil/filter changes quote was $880 and the ECM update quote was $550. I asked how often I should be doing these engine updates and he says generally once a year, but if you extended it beyond that I wouldnít go past about two years. I elected to get the oil/filter stuff done at speedco and I will get the rest of the chassis stuff done at National Indoor. I figure I will look further into the ECM update thing, but if I have to go to the Cummins shop to get this done I will probably get it done once every two years.

I know this has been a bit of a long post and I apologize for those who are impatient. I have been reading the forums for quite a few years and have never come across any discussion of updating ECMís as part of the routine maintenance schedule, but it does make sense to me as there are electronic communications that take place between components of the engine/transmission/throttle etc. There is a question in here and for those of you who are still awake here it is; Where have you been getting this done? Iím thinking not everyone has the equipment to do this. Cummins seemed expensive, but if that is my only choice then so be it. For those who are in the know please.... Do tell.
swberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I recently had my ECM updated after 4 years and there is no observable difference at all. If it is working well, why do you ever need to update the ECM?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Sid I did an ECM post a few years ago. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/for-...es-297552.html
Very good to bring it up again and something that should be posted often as it sure made a difference on my performance and mileage.

From my experience, see post above, very important to do. On mine there was no charge as there was bulletin out on the updates, however my wonderful dealer never sent the Cummins registration in, even though I was charged for that service, and I was never notified.

Cummins Ocala told me at that time there was no charge on the updates during the 5 year warranty. Maybe that varies between dealers. I was also told to call Cummins with my engine number to see if any updates were required each year.

Good post glad you brought it up again.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:04 PM   #4

In the three years I owned my 15 Anthem, I had new ECM codes done two or three times, BUT those were all done in the first six months and were secondary to repeated engine fault codes I was getting that dealt with “after processing”. After that problem got resolved in the first 6 months or so, had several other major dealer visits includimg 2 visits to Middlebury, and to my knowledge, the Cummins ECM was never touched after the first 6 months.

Which was fine with me as the Cummins ran like a top thereafter!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Sid I did an ECM post a few years ago. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/for-...es-297552.html
Very good to bring it up again and something that should be posted often as it sure made a difference on my performance and mileage.

From my experience, see post above, very important to do. On mine there was no charge as there was bulletin out on the updates, however my wonderful dealer never sent the Cummins registration in, even though I was charged for that service, and I was never notified.

Cummins Ocala told me at that time there was no charge on the updates during the 5 year warranty. Maybe that varies between dealers. I was also told to call Cummins with my engine number to see if any updates were required each year.

Good post glad you brought it up again.

Sure enough. Sorry I missed that. Iím guilty of not searching before I posted. 🤣 Iím glad you chimed in on this because I will talk to them and see if they will do it free of charge under warranty. When I spoke with the Cummins advisor initially I did not tell him it was under warranty, so maybe thatís why he quoted me the $550.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

What is involved is connect a computer to your coach and then simply download a software program from their laptop. When I had it done, it took maybe 15 minutes. Now, if there is more involved than that, I am not sure what they are talking about (replacing the whole ECM?) but the cost you quoted is obscene, in my opinion.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #7

A couple years back it seems everyone was getting an ECM. Called Ocala Cummins to ask about getting a checkup . Said sure we can do it. I was asked what codes I was getting, my response was none. In short was told if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwater4 View Post
A couple years back it seems everyone was getting an ECM. Called Ocala Cummins to ask about getting a checkup . Said sure we can do it. I was asked what codes I was getting, my response was none. In short was told if it ain't broke don't fix it.
We just took our unit into Cummins in Albany,Ga for it's yearly oil,filters and Gen service (been using this same Cummins since 99 for our 4 DPs)
And Service The said we had a Safety Recall to R & R the ECM on our coach at their cost....and it was done along with the rest of the service...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:14 PM   #9

Sid, the only reason to have an ECM flashed is if youíre having some kind of problem, and a reflash is indicated in the troubleshooting process. If so, you will be covered within the 5 year warranty.

If you simply ask for an update, the cost is in fact obscene.

Chuckster, Iím not familiar with your coach, or the issue you mention, but an R&R of the ECM is a bit more involved than what Sid was asking about.

IMHO, I do not like to perform ECM reflashes just for giggles.

A phone call to Cummins with your Engine S/N or VIN should reveal if there are any updates required for your specific application.

Anecdotally, we never had our Phaeton ECM reflashed in 5 years, and it ran like a sewing machine.

The Aspire has had the ECM flashed 2 times thus far.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swberry View Post
Sure enough. Sorry I missed that. I’m guilty of not searching before I posted. �� I’m glad you chimed in on this because I will talk to them and see if they will do it free of charge under warranty. When I spoke with the Cummins advisor initially I did not tell him it was under warranty, so maybe that’s why he quoted me the $550.
Don't be sorry, this is something that needs to be brought up often. I'll bet most of the Classic owner here now are second owners and unaware of the old post.

I had the Travel Supreme updated again after the 5 year Cummins warranty and it was only $99. at Ft. Myers Cummins, but that was a few years ago.

It is definitely worth calling Cummins to check for update. Any Classic owners that have not had the updates, they really made a difference on my coach.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:31 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwater4 View Post
My 2014 took 13 updates. I could hardly pull the passes in Colorado, mileage in CO was 5.7 and 6.3 mpg on the flat lands.
After the updates, the 450 runs like a 450 and mileage now averages 7.3, 7.7 with a tailwind. Mine was definitely broken. I guess not all Cummins are created equal. If it's not broke, leave it alone, but Cummins had a Campaign on my production run.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #12

This is from Cummins in Ocala.

Updates to the ECM are free IF thereís a campaign, meaning I recall or known ECM issue put out by Cummins, or if you have a engine/fault light on that needs attention. If this doesnít exist, then you pay for the ECM upgrade/update. Just what Iíve been told.

We were in Massachusetts and had an engine light, CEL, come on. Went to the nearest Cummins facility and they fixed the issue and updated the ECM. We were directed there by Spartan. The upgrade was required to fix the issue.

Firm believer that if it ainít broken donít fix it. Actually, the service manager in Massachusetts said the same thing to us.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:11 PM   #13

I am with chuck on this one also.. I had my ecm updated at the mothership at my 2 year pdi .. wow.. is all I can say..
Driving back to the west after was like a new motor..
Easily 8 to 10 mph better climbing hills and a good .5 to 1 on mpg..
Thereís updates for reasons... and you will only get them if you check
Most shops will plug it in and or call Cummins with the engine # to see
For nominal fee.. and 550 bucks is not nominal.. and 880 bucks for a lube oil filter is highway robbery....
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #14

Thanks for the comments on this. Sounds like itís not necessarily something that must be done, but may be worth checking in on with engine serial # with Cummins from time to time. Thatís my take away on this anyway.

Tags
ecm