Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #1

Electric cars & trucks

I am not sure if I am the only one thinking this way or not. But at this point I could not live with a vehicle that has a 400 mile range and can take from 30 minutes to 7 hours to recharge. The shorter charge does come with some caveats. It would make me nuts on a cold rainy night to have to stop beyond 20 minutes to refuel. I am thinking they are pushing the models hoping people will bite. After all the were a few of us at Woodstock, looking to save the world. What would the charging time and distance be for you to make the move?
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #2

There is the PHEV plug in hybrid that has all the advantages of a battery electric vehicle but the range is as big as your gas tank.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:42 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am holding off for now on electric vehicles.

Ken
Old 04-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #4

Me too. At first the battery electric vehicle looked good to me, but upon further examination I have come to the conclusion that the mass production of 100+ KWH lithium ion batteries was both environmentally unfriendly and economically unsustainable. Now I'm looking at the PHEV as a potential winner, but there is still a lot of development that has to take place.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:19 PM   #5

For lots of folks the range isn't an issue. Pretty much all they do is commute to work, if they're even doing that anymore. and a little running around town. I'm sure the charging time will come down and the range will improve. Like many things some likes 'em and some doesn't. I'm in the latter camp and my sister is in the former.
arcaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #6

That's where the PHEV comes in. You can commute 30-40 miles to work on electric and charge at home, but if you want to travel further or can't charge the battery then the gas engine kicks in. For may people they will be doing 90% of their driving on electric.

There are significant performance and efficiency issues that PHEVs will enable. I think this technology will work its way into the mainstream pretty soon. Even Ford is starting to put it into their F-150s.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #7

I think it was GM who announced plans for an all electric pickup, with a range of 400 miles. I am thinking they will push them in the cities. We will see a lot of automotive changes in the next 10 year.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
I think it was GM who announced plans for an all electric pickup, with a range of 400 miles. I am thinking they will push them in the cities. We will see a lot of automotive changes in the next 10 year.

Well the first thing we need to look at is there are no electric vehicles that can be flat towed, according to what I have read.
FLOWERSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
I am not sure if I am the only one thinking this way or not. But at this point I could not live with a vehicle that has a 400 mile range and can take from 30 minutes to 7 hours to recharge. The shorter charge does come with some caveats. It would make me nuts on a cold rainy night to have to stop beyond 20 minutes to refuel. I am thinking they are pushing the models hoping people will bite. After all the were a few of us at Woodstock, looking to save the world. What would the charging time and distance be for you to make the move?
Back to the OPs original question. . . "what would it take to for me to make the move?" I've given this some thought, and it really depends on the purpose of the vehicle.

Full disclosure. . . I've already made the move. In Dec of 2019, I purchased a BMW i3. It was a lease return and was such a great deal I had to try it. Mostly because I was curious about the technology and wanted my own first hand experience. It was "Purpose" bought with the intention of it being a commuter car. Drive it to work and back, then charge it at night. Much like I do my cell phone. COVID kind of messed that up!

Now if we're talking about something as big as an RV, I don't think the industry is there yet. An RV sized EV would have to be able to do the same thing as my current MH. That is, travel 500+ miles on a tank of fuel, then be able to refuel (recharge) in 20 minutes or less. The only way I see that happening is if fuel stations go to a battery pack exchange program. That is, treat the battery packs like we do portable propane bottles. Pull in, take the exhausted packs out, and insert a newly charged battery pack. Then get back on the road.

While I think this could work, the industry would have to overcome several challenges. . . agreeing on a standard battery pack being at the top of the list!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:22 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For me, if they make a nice electric vehicle that is 4 wheel down towable I would consider it if the range is 300 or more miles. I agree the bigger the range the better.

Some advantages come with using electric for short and medium trips. Plenty of torque, not having to spend time gassing up because it takes a few seconds to plug it in, less noise, etc... I don’t know much about the environmental plus or minus.

Electric maybe a good option for our tow vehicle but we would keep our nice trip vehicle that we can go as far as we want on gas. We are a two car family. One being electric would be ok for us.

Being able to plug up at a campground would be nice and something I would be willing to pay for.

But I am not ready to give up the ease of four wheel down towing and to use a trailer just to have an electric vehicle when we hit the road for a few months. We move often when using the coach and 4 wheel down is a must for us.

Hal and Pam
2017 Entegra Cornerstone - B
2020 Ford Edge ST
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:42 PM   #11

I have heard that the Rivian will be able to be flat towed.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I have heard that the Rivian will be able to be flat towed.
Any idea if it will be able to charge from the rotation of the wheels while being towed. Maybe just slight use of the regen braking. At least until the battery is 75% or so. Leave a little room in the battery to have 4 down braking still work through the regen brakes.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Any idea if it will be able to charge from the rotation of the wheels while being towed. Maybe just slight use of the regen braking. At least until the battery is 75% or so. Leave a little room in the battery to have 4 down braking still work through the regen brakes.
They didnít mention anything about that on their website...yet.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #14

Interesting how people are concerned about long range EVs that can be towed four down. Are you traveling with your RV or your EV?

We made the Mustang Mach-e decision because it was not that much different then when we travel with the motorhome. 16-200 miles a day and we had to plan where we were going to stop.

So many people have a lot to say but have not really researched the issues around an EV.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric