Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #1

Electric in the wash bay?

Anybody know the "EASIEST" way to steal 12 VDC power in the wash bay so I can run a macerator pump?

Ed & Donna
2014 Anthem RBQ. Midnight Illusion
Fasteddie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddie08 View Post
Anybody know the "EASIEST" way to steal 12 VDC power in the wash bay so I can run a macerator pump?

Ed & Donna
2014 Anthem RBQ. Midnight Illusion
You can tap into the pump wiring, it has a high enough amp rating, but don't run the pump at the same time. The bay light normally has a low amp rated fuse and not good for a mancerator. On the Entegra the pump is on the other side if I am not mistake, but should be an easy shot for the wires.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
When I hard wired for my portable macerator pump I spliced into my powered hose reel -- it's on a 20amp fuse and has worked very well for me.

Sent from my iPhone
Curt and Grace
2014 Aspire 44U
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Big Boy Solenoid

I just installed a clean dump system from a previous coach to our 2014 Anthem 44B. I ran two conductor 12 ga from what is called the Big Boy disconnect solenoid on the back wall of the basement. Ran it down to the floor along the back wall adjacent to a point just outside the vent in front side of water bay. Installed a nylon switch box along with 20 amp circuit breaker and switch. Relatively clean easy install.
Jerry
Jerry0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
When I hard wired for my portable macerator pump I spliced into my powered hose reel -- it's on a 20amp fuse and has worked very well for me.

Sent from my iPhone
Curt and Grace
2014 Aspire 44U
Thats a great idea,,,and very simple.
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I have got to get use to all the modern things in the Entegra...soon. The hose reel is perfect to pull power from.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I always wire mine directly to a battery source. Macerators require a lot of amperage, why not just do it right and never have to worry about it? Go to Lowe's, Home Depot, West Marine and but enough wire to connect directly to the batteries (if enough wire length is not already provided), it's only a few extra dollars for the wire and it will be done right. You will not have to be concerned about running the macerator with inadequate amperage, blowing fuses, or the wires overheating (possibly causing a fire). You spend too much for your coach to take needless shortcuts, or at least I do...
Old 05-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry0312 View Post
I just installed a clean dump system from a previous coach to our 2014 Anthem 44B. I ran two conductor 12 ga from what is called the Big Boy disconnect solenoid on the back wall of the basement. Ran it down to the floor along the back wall adjacent to a point just outside the vent in front side of water bay. Installed a nylon switch box along with 20 amp circuit breaker and switch. Relatively clean easy install.
Jerry
I installed a macerator and hooked up the elect. same place as Jerry except I ran it overhead and into the wet bay by the transfer sw. Installed an inline 20 A. fuse in same panel where I picked up power. No drilling and grounded to frame a few inches from macerator. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #9

I'm confused. Why would do you need a post tank macerator?
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ran wires from the fuse panel.. Some try to snag it of the conpartment lights wire but often that's not up to the 20 amp job.

Alas, the answer depends on your coach but this is fairly common on many coaches.

Most "Services" including the plumbing run in a "Cove" like thing where the wall meets the floor... This is like a step right at the baseboard.

This step is a cover that you can remove.

From a blank slot in your fuse box run 10ga or 12ga Speaker wire, get the Red/Black kind (Radio Shack for 12GA West Mountain radio for 10GA) following the plumbing till you find the hole where it drops into the wet bay.. Drop through the hole.. Put in a 20 amp fuse (12ga) or a 25 (10), note 10 is good for 30-40 but 25 is big enough)

Put Anderson Power Pole connectors on the wires in the wet bay (West Mountain Radio) Looking into the connector with the TABS up have the Red on the Right.

Put matching connectors on the Macerator pump leads.. Same way

The connectors should match RED to RED, black to Black if properly assembled. and that's the only way they go together.

When ordering from WMR, you might also consider ordering either an 12 volt accessory plug with pig tail and connectors, or a 12 volt accessory OUTLET with plug and pig-tail.

WHY:

The first gives you the ability to use the pump with a portable battery pack

The second lets you plug in a 12 volt device to the same lead in the bay

And both give you the proper way to connect the power poles together (You do it the same way they did).

Why use Power Poles instead of just a 12 volt ACCY socket?

Self cleaning and way better connection, 10GA power poles can haul a 40 amp load v/s 20 for a HD accy outlet and 10 for a standard.

I use the Anderson Power Pole system both here in the MH and in my car, very impressed with it.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
I'm confused. Why would do you need a post tank macerator?
I use mine if I have to dump at home which is up hill to my S&B sewer clean out. Outside of that, I am still a 3 inch hose, fast dump person. Others like the cleanness of the macerator. Mine stays at home in the garage.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I use mine if I have to dump at home which is up hill to my S&B sewer clean out. Outside of that, I am still a 3 inch hose, fast dump person. Others like the cleanness of the macerator. Mine stays at home in the garage.

OK. I could see a specialized purpose like that. But standard RV park situation as far as I'm concerned once it leaves my tank it no longer belongs to me so I don't care what texture it has as long as it don't clog the pipe. If you are using the right TP and enough water, you shouldn't have a problem. Right?
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
OK. I could see a specialized purpose like that. But standard RV park situation as far as I'm concerned once it leaves my tank it no longer belongs to me so I don't care what texture it has as long as it don't clog the pipe. If you are using the right TP and enough water, you shouldn't have a problem. Right?
Right! It has worked for me for a number of years. One thing that drives me nuts is leaving an RV parks with a central dump station on Monday morning and someone with a "macerator only" dump method has the dump station tied up for 20 minutes dumping their tanks. Macerators are fine, but not when a dump line is being tied up at a State Park, etc. JMO.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I've used macerators on my past two coaches and will not go back to that nasty system of dealing with a dripping 3" hose. As far as taking any longer to dump and move on, I beg to differ. Pumping the tanks may take a fraction more time, but very little. But where I save time over you is I don't have that 3" nasty dripping hose to rinse off and out, nor do I have to find a place to store it while everyone is waiting. The people that you get behind may have an old system or they just might be slow no matter what system they have, but saying the macerator users as a general rule are tieing up the lines - Ain't happening...