Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #1

Electric kicks out momentarily

We are traveling in Canada and have several campsites with 30 Amp
The 115 kicks out periodically (TV, Fridge, Microwave, etc) and restarts within about a minute. It also happened at one 50 Amp site. We are careful not to run
more than one AC and other high Amp appliances
Could I have a defective surge protector?
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2022, 09:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Have you looked at the in coming Line voltage Jim? I am going to guess that it is low and your surge protector is shutting the AC off to the Coach, times out after looking at the voltage and comes back on........
Old 09-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #3

Thanks Palehorse

I don’t have a voltage meter but if you are correct, then there is nothing to do for correction on my end? The surge protector is doing its job and just an inconvenience of rural services?
Old 09-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
What kind/model of surge protector do you have? You should be able to see the incoming voltage in your Coach on a display. L1 AND L2

The item's you listed "TV, Fridge, Microwave, etc" should stay on powered by the inverter when the incoming power goes out......
Old 09-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Or if you don't have a display showing incoming voltage, you should at least have flashing lights on it that indicate it's currently locked out the power from getting to the RV (mine has only lights). Next time it happens take a look at the surge protector while there is no power in the RV to see what it has to say.

Other than perhaps changing sites to see if power is more stable at a different site, you are correct - nothing really that you can do, the device is just doing its job. Well, I suppose you COULD bypass it, but that would defeat the purpose of having one in the first place.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:37 AM   #6

If you have an external surge suppressor, it probable has a voltage and amperage draw (meter) from both legs. If your voltage on either leg drops to about 110 to 108 volts, that is too low and endangers electronics and refrig and similar appliances aboard.

Check with the RV park and see if they have a voltage regulator that they can loan you. If power is a common problem, they may have a metering system they can loan. I patronized a park in CO not long ago which was 30 amps where low voltage was a common problem. They had two Hughes Autoformers to loan 50 amp coaches and I borrowed one and it helped. Almost all their other patrons were small 30 amp trailers or small coaches. But, the Autoformers make up for low voltage by drawing even more amperage from the source, so you might be "stealing" current from other users on the same main drop.

I bought my own Hughes autoformer to keep in my basement and have had to use it only at one other 30A RV park.

Otherwise, cut you power consumption back further to lighten the voltage/amperage load

GARY
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:08 PM   #7

The surge protector may not be seeing the correct voltage from the plug due to being adapted. If you don't have a meter to check the incoming voltage then it's hard to tell you to bypass the surge protector. If you can verify voltage is good, then don't use it adapted down. I would purchase a 30 amp surge protector when having to adapt down. Then you know that voltage is good.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
What kind/model of surge protector do you have? You should be able to see the incoming voltage in your Coach on a display. L1 AND L2

The item's you listed "TV, Fridge, Microwave, etc" should stay on powered by the inverter when the incoming power goes out......

Thanks to all for the replies and good advice. We were gone all day on a tour
I will check when/if it fails again
Old 09-19-2022, 08:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post

As palehorse stated, the items you mention are all connected to the inverter and the inverter should provide uninterrupted power when power is disconnected. It sound more like an inverter hiccup. Do non-inverter devices (ie AC units) also shut off? If not, that that would be another indication that it’s an inverter issue and not the shore power connection.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:45 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
If you are running and EMS. https://www.progressiveindustries.net/our-products
It is doing it's job. If you do not have one, this is the time it is really needed before damage is done to the electrical appliances including the AC's.
If the batteries are weak or dead the inverter cannot do it's job when there is an interruption in power as there is no power going to the inverter. Have you tested the batteries lately?

I tested mine on a less the 2 year old coach before my last trip and found they were shot.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:33 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
As palehorse stated, the items you mention are all connected to the inverter and the inverter should provide uninterrupted power when power is disconnected. It sound more like an inverter hiccup. Do non-inverter devices (ie AC units) also shut off? If not, that that would be another indication that it’s an inverter issue and not the shore power connection.
I agree, assuming the inverter is on (will be in standby when connected to shore power), you should never see any of the inverter powered devices (fridge, microwave, etc) lose power. The inverter should instantly (and without you noticing) provide power to those devices when shore power drops out. Check the Magnum remote over the entry door to see if it recorded any faults.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:39 PM   #12

I went through this on my 2015 Anthem. Very hard to isolate when it is intermittent.
Mine was under warranty at the time. Long story short, after working with Entegra and trying several things, they had me take both inverter controls out of the panel and go under coach and hook them direct to the inverters. Basically bypassing the wire from inverter to the monitors inside.
This cable is nothing more than a house phone cable. I went to store and bought 2 cables, hook control to inverters direct, and it fixed the issue.
Bad news was cable was bad some where.
As I was moving controls back to interior panel, I plugged one in and went to put it in panel and it blinked, tried wiggling wire and it kept blinking and dropping power in coach.
I went to hardware and bought a kit to put new end on the cable, installed it and it fixed the problem.
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:19 AM   #13

I have the Hughes Autoformer it is the best investment I ever made it does a great job controlling the voltage and protects all your appliances
Aerostar251g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:09 AM   #14

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	377581
Don’t know if newer coaches with VT have an alert but….
Buy one of these: Reliance “Power Out”.
Plugs into any non inverted outlet.
It alerts you to when you lose shore power. Otherwise you could go a while before you realize it.
Everyone should have one. Most big box and hardware stores have them.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric