Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #1

Electrical Brain Teaser

I have a 2015 Anthem. I have the REVERSE problem that some others have had.

When on shore power, my front inverter won't charge and the dryer won't work.

When on Generator, everything is perfect. Everything works. Both inverters charge and the dryer works.

Switch back to shore, no front inverter charging and dryer won't work.

The 'Power Control System' senses and indicated 50 amps, which means it knows there are two hot wires coming into the coach. I just replaced the Power Transfer Switch (big black box in the basement) hoping that there was some unseen problem in it.... no dice. Same problem.

The only other thing I can think is maybe the actual Power Cord Reel? Something strange wrong in there?

The only other thing I can think to do, other than just changing the reel for fun, is to make my own 'jumper' 50 amp cord and wire it directly into the Power Transfer Switch, therefore bypassing the reel completely and see what happens.

This has been tried at 4 separate 50 amp shore power sources.

It's NOT the inverter. Just to restate, the moment I turn on the generator and the switch flips over to genny, everything works again.

Just wanted to see if someone else has experienced this and knows what might be wrong. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1146.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	195637  
derba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #2

While I was typing... i was thinking of the logical flow.... I walked back to the RV and put a multimeter on the hot lines coming into the Power Transfer Switch from the reel.... only the black was 125 volts... no power on the red hot line.

I guess the Power Management System shows 50 amp for some reason, other than feeling power in two legs. I basically was only getting 50 amps coming in on one leg and that happened to be the leg that feeds the dryer and the front inverter.

It could be the shorepower cord itself, or the reel. I'm just going to replace both the reel and the cord.

That'll solve it for sure.

More likely that the internal connections on the ring inside the reel wore out rather than the cord. A cord is a cord. It's not going to break internally unless you really rip it apart, which I haven't. I bet it's the reel.

Thanks for listening to me think out loud and perhaps this will help someone else in the future.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Have you looked closely at the male plug? If the blades look like they have gotten hot you might try replacing that first. I found mine smoking at the pedestal a few weeks ago.
kwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #4

Good idea.... Plug looks perfect though....

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
watching
Old 03-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I had something similar a while back, but it was the pedestal circuit breaker. Since you've tried several pedestals, probably not related. Sorry
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I think that you are on the right track. Either a problem with the cord itself (less likely) or with the cord reel (more likely). To find out for sure take voltage readings at the cord going into the reel and where the the the cord goes into the transfer switch.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just curious, for diagnostic purposes, if you have a Surguard or Progressive mounted inside your coach, would you be able to determine if one leg or both have 50 amps (like the external type that I use at the post). Would you be able to detect a partial outage like Derba is trying to diagnose.

I guess it depends on how the Surguard is wired to the transfer switch? Is that a valid statement?

Watching....thanks!!! Good stuff
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #9

If the reel brushes have gone bad it may show up as a dead spot depending on the location of the bad spot you will or will not get power on one leg. In other words if you rotate the wheel for say 15 to 20 degrees the brush will make contact with the good part of the terminal and restore power. Don't ask me how I know. Previous owner pulled out without disconnecting and burned a 20 to 25 degree spot on the brushes. Until I replaced the reel I had to manually turn it after hooking up to make sure I was on the good spot.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #10

Ooooooo! I like that about rotating the reel!

It's 100% for sure either the cord or the reel.

Since I'm short on time, I just got a new reel with new cord. I don't have the time to figure out if it's just the cord. I'll have it on Sunday, will swap and report that it's fixed. (I hope)

Thanks
Old 03-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #11

I was helping a friend that was hooked up at my house. He had the exact same symptoms as you and after a couple of days of messing with it we moved the reel position and we got the missing leg back. This was on an Alegro Bus. His panel also indicated 50 amp service with only one leg.

My coach lost the neutral leg in the reel resulting in no power at all. The interim fix was removing the reel and using a j-box wired the reel cord to the cord going to the transfer switch. This worked until the new reel assembly arrived.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #12

Yeah, the cords are pretty damn tough......I bet your correct, the rotataing connection at the reel?
jeffnjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, electric