Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Electrical Problem - Any thoughts?

Let me give you the quick facts. 2015 Anthem, Demco Excali-Bar tow bar, Demco baseplate, Demco universal toad lighting system (diode system inserted into standard rear stop and running light lines (isolating coach and car), 2013 Honda CR-V toad, Air Force One toad braking system. Honda has a fuse to pull to turn off all loads, but I have not been doing that. I never have. Since the steering will lock, when you tow the Honda with the ignition in the "I" position in contrast to the "II" position where it is if you are driving the car.

Now, I have towed this Honda CR-V behind my previous Monaco Dynasty, often for 2 full consecutive 8 to 9 hour drives without flattening the battery. For the first 18 months of owning my Anthem, I have again been towing the same CR-V, often for 2 consecutive days of driving that are 7-8 hours long, some longer, and not worrying about running down the battery in the Honda. Has worked great!!

However, for the past month, and on a 2,000 mile trip just completed and a much smaller ~ 500 mile trip earlier, I have been running the Honda battery completely flat in 6 hours every day, from a full charge in the morning. The interior light will not even come on the battery is so flat. So, why is this happening.

I have had the battery load tested and the load tester (computerized) says the battery is fine. I have had the Honda alternator checked also by a computerized checker and it tests the diodes, voltage (14.1 volts) and another parameter I don't remember, and all tests out good. Called DEMCO and talked to their design and trouble shooting guru about a possible failure of the diode sets leading one battery to deplete the Honda battery and he says that the system is working as it should. I carefully remove all loads from the Honda (no fans, no radio, just the ignition on as it needs to be) every time... no missed things to turn off. Now, remember, I have done this for 2 solid days towing for nearly 3 years now just the same way I am now doing it without flattening the battery until recently.

I am out of ideas...... anyone have a suggestion of what is draining my batteries? (oh, the AFO takes no power from the Honda). Any suggestions on how to isolate the problem?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #2

install a new battery
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Pull the fuse

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
www.entegraowners.com
2017 Anthem DEQ/Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you say a full charge in the morning...how is it being charged overnight?

Are you putting a battery charger on it?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:19 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
If it is the original Battery in the auto, I would also say replace it. I understand what all the tests say, but I never have any long term luck with the stock battery longer than 3 years in any of my autos. Replacing the battery in a car has 99.9% of the time corrected any battery issue's on my cars. Batteries and tires are things I replace when they show signs of trouble. (just my routine)
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:27 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I had a battery in my Jeep Liberty that was going dead every day of towing. It load tested good at 3 shops plus my own load tester that I know is good. Out of frustration, I changed the battery (easy things first) and that was the problem.

The battery was under warranty from Auto Zone, but they would not replace it because it passed the load test. The replacement was out of pocket and worth it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #7

Gary, it would seem the first no cost check would be to pull the recommended fuse and see if the battery holds a charge after a day of towing.
I also would suspect that the load test is showing the battery within " specs " but like micowaves, steering and other in spec situations many of us know how well that works out !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Don't even get my started on Samsung's "within specs" on the microwave But a darn good example of how things don't work when they test good.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #9

I have a battery charge line to the toad with an inline fuse to it...but these are the exact symptoms I got and when I installed a new battery in the toad, it went away...Also I wonder if somehow one of the diodes is failing...allowing a backfeed of some kind...I'd also check glove box light etc or a map light of some kind stuck on in some compartment causing your drain.Note I did not add the charge line until late 2015 and no problems since then...Otherwise I was good for 7 hours which was about the limit I went every day anyway.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

Arch

By full charge, I mean that I have had a charge on it overnight each time that it flattened by the end of the day and the charger goes into float charge by morning. Everything looks good.

I appreciate the advice. I thought that the load testing was the gold standard on battery issues. My first thought was that the battery was bad and that was the first thing that I assumed I would replace, until it tested "good". Now, I replaced the original Honda battery about a year after I bought the car.... similar problem, and original Honda batteries, for some reason, have a terrible reputation for longevity on line. I think it was AutoZone or some similar national battery store that I bought the replacement, and that would make it then somewhere between two and three years old on the new battery and we do tow a lot.

And if it was easy to pull the fuse, believe me, I would have done it a long time ago, but you either need to be an 8 year old or a very thin "little person" to get to the fuse tray for the fuse that is to be pulled. It is fairly easy to remove, but a real bear to put back in. And my whole point is that doing it this way has "worked" for almost 2 years at this point.

I'll replace the battery and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #11

For what it's worth, I had a fuse disconnect switch installed on my toad. I no longer have to pull the fuse, just flip the switch and the appropriate fuse is disconnected.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Gary,

It could be that with the age of your present battery that it is starting to show signs of deterioration. My CRV also tells me to pull the fuse but I don't because I have a charge line running to the car. I think your best bet may be to either pull the fuse or put in a charge line to the car.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Arch

By full charge, I mean that I have had a charge on it overnight each time that it flattened by the end of the day and the charger goes into float charge by morning. Everything looks good.

I appreciate the advice. I thought that the load testing was the gold standard on battery issues. My first thought was that the battery was bad and that was the first thing that I assumed I would replace, until it tested "good". Now, I replaced the original Honda battery about a year after I bought the car.... similar problem, and original Honda batteries, for some reason, have a terrible reputation for longevity on line. I think it was AutoZone or some similar national battery store that I bought the replacement, and that would make it then somewhere between two and three years old on the new battery and we do tow a lot.

And if it was easy to pull the fuse, believe me, I would have done it a long time ago, but you either need to be an 8 year old or a very thin "little person" to get to the fuse tray for the fuse that is to be pulled. It is fairly easy to remove, but a real bear to put back in. And my whole point is that doing it this way has "worked" for almost 2 years at this point.

I'll replace the battery and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback.

Gary

Keep us posted on the results...
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical