Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #43

Yes, an EMS is needed. . .

Low voltage (less than 108 volts or so) will not harm toasters and other resistance items, as they will be dimmer or take longer to heat.

Low voltage will over time damage motors like in roof air conditioners, and other similar inductive loads.

Low voltage in a campground can come and go and a good voltage can drop too low when neighbors air conditioners turn on. So a good always in-place EMS type of under voltage control is needed.

We have also found a campground with over 130 volts which happened from using a too high transformer tap, probably chosen to counteract voltage drops from high usage because of too small wire sizes.

EMS is also first line of defense on 50-amp 240-volt outlets, sometimes triggered by improperly plugging in to an outlet with breaker turned on. Also a missing or broken neutral connection can allow 240-volts to totally damage many items.

Progressive Industries "EMS" is not cheap, but always less expensive than replacing damaged devices. Hard wired is always on duty and can protect from generator voltage regulator failures. Portable EMS is tempting for borrowing even with secure cable, and open for weather damage.

Yes EMS is necessary. . .
BarryHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #44

I am following this tread with attention as I need to decide what to do as well referring EMS.

One point called my attention is that it may well be a discussion that depends on what type of protection you already have built into your coach, if any.

I had a Dynasty with no protection. Everything coming into coach always passed trough the transfer switch.

The 18 Cornerstone comes with the 40350 transfer switch with built in protection.

I compared the specs of Progressive EMS with the 40350 and they are very close with exception to Joules. But even thought not too much.

I could not find a technical reason to add a Progressive to this coach, more than if my transfer gets burned I am done etc.

It would be interesting to learn what others with this 40350 have decided to do.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here is a post I made regarding allowable voltages that you may find of interest:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/accep...re-411796.html
Old 09-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wilson View Post
I am following this tread with attention as I need to decide what to do as well referring EMS.

One point called my attention is that it may well be a discussion that depends on what type of protection you already have built into your coach, if any.

I had a Dynasty with no protection. Everything coming into coach always passed trough the transfer switch.

The 18 Cornerstone comes with the 40350 transfer switch with built in protection.

I compared the specs of Progressive EMS with the 40350 and they are very close with exception to Joules. But even thought not too much.

I could not find a technical reason to add a Progressive to this coach, more than if my transfer gets burned I am done etc.

It would be interesting to learn what others with this 40350 have decided to do.
Tony, as you have seen, lots of posts on this subject of "one and done" on the transfer switch. Once done, a $600. replacement and rewiring for a field repair. EMS. $300. lifetime warranty and bypass with a switch or unplug for a field repair.

My experience just this week, running a roof air, which I have always been able to do at my storage location, resulted in it being constantly shut off. Monitoring the incoming voltage it was down as low as 102v. If allowed to pass through the transfer switch, could the AC have been damaged as it was below the recommended voltage? With the EMS installed, I will not have to find out. The EMS did it's job. Everyone has to make their own decision on how they want to protect their coach, or not.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems