Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
GKW

Emergency Exit RV Procedures?

I have owned three Class A RV’s in the last 20 years and I still haven’t figured out how to bail out of the small window openings that seem to use the same system on all the coaches I have seen. The fire problem is probably reduced over propane with the electric coaches, but there is still a risk of fire with these. Do you dive out head first with the heavy window frame hanging down after release and swinging around with no method of locking in the up position then dragging yourself over the frame hardware and hit the ground head first, or somehow go out feet first if you can get up in position to do that. If there is a practical solution to this I must have missed it. Maybe someone has already developed a system to address this problem. I have never seen any solutions to address this in any of the many RV magazine publications. Just checking to see if there is something I am missing that someone has already addressed. Maybe an athletically inclined person can post a video on the proper procedure.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tried to get out our emergency egress/window. No way! If you could get out, it would be 8' to the ground! And then head first!!!!
Think ahead, find the best way out before...
Old 03-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #3

I hope that my wife and I have the opportunity to breathe in one big gulp of good air as we grab our two cats and then we plan to run straight through the flames to get to the front door....... If that doesn't work, then I won't be posting any future comments on this iRV2 forum and I'm likely to be "well-done"....

The idea that reasonable coach designers have considered this and have decided that I, at almost 74, should shimmy my ass backwards out that window or dive headfirst out that miserable excuse for an emergency exit AFTER I assist my wife and 2 cats from exiting our burning coach via that same window, is about the dumbest damn thinking that I have ever heard of.... Good Grief!!!!!!!!! Really??

Newmar's practice of putting a rear escape door above the toilet in their coaches is the only solution that makes much sense to me, at least you go down feet first... and Entegra should begin to follow the same process. Yes, yes, yes I know the Cummins is in the back.... Junk some of the crap that we pay for on our coaches (steerable tag axle (~ $ 15,000) for example, and sorry Chuck, ACS ) and give us something useful instead.... still probably not ever used, but heck, its a nice thought).... it probably would get used as much as I use my ACS.

Now, I am likely to invest in a product that I have seen up here on the web and what it is, is a hat and mask system that you put over your head (kinda like beekeepers use) and is supposed to give your about ~20 to 60 minutes of smoke-free oxygen. If that actually works, then that makes some sense to me, and I will take my chances on 30% burns over my entire body as I head out the door.... If those work, then I am willing to pay what they ask to get at least two of them -- --

This is similar to what I am talking about as a more workable possibility:

https://www.wish.com/product/5e670ad..._BwE&share=web

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra has this YouTube video on their site. https://youtu.be/n9nV7_wpojw
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #5

One recommendation I read a while back was to position the CG picnic table next to the RV under the escape window.
I'd prefer feet first but no matter how you exit its not a huge drop with the table there and the first one out can assist others while standing on the table.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Emergency Exit RV Procedures?

Mark from YouTube fame of “our journey in myles” has a video showing a special board he built which assists going out the window feet first. He has a method to store the board when not in use as well.

https://youtu.be/ek50R5Q_hFI
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayandWendy View Post
Later...
Ray
Well, that's not good. 35 of the 37 (that is an approximate estimate) of the originally provisioned pillows are at home and will not be available to pad the landing zone.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-07-2021, 01:35 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
So THAT's why they give you all those danged pillows! They know these things will burn up in seconds, so they load the bed with pillows for you to use for your escape out that barely-bigger-than-your-butt window.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #9
GKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayandWendy View Post
Later...
Ray

After looking at a few of the videos particularly the solution Entegra put out which involves taking time to gather up all of the pillows and bedding to throw out the window for a cushion to land on opens up a few possibility’s. A sliding window would be easiest to build into the RV escape window with the least expense. The individual demonstrating the exit pulled himself up using an open overhead cabinet and putting his legs out first and using a sheet from the bed to pad the window frame. Didn’t seem to address what to do with the window still hanging loose. Possible solution with the least manufacturing expense for the manufacturer.

1. Sliding window providing ample opening quickly.
2. A strap easily stored in the overhead cabinet with a quick attachment point on the cabinet for support that could be thrown out the window and used to lower yourself feet first to the ground.
3. Possible built in smooth plastic molding or quick placement molding piece placed on the lower frame of the window to aid in sliding out.
Method would allow throwing the Pet’s out quickly and much faster preparation
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #10

I, too, have looked askance at the emergency exits, but with sufficient motivation I am certain I could get out both feet first, perhaps with a scrape or two, land with reasonable grace (maybe a back roll), and get clear. A fire in the coach would certainly be "sufficient motivation." In fact, it would be enough motivation to persuade me to bail headfirst at need!
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #11
Community Administrator

I attended a few seminars with Mac the Fire Guy. He suggested two pieces of 1x2” wood measured to hold the window open ( mine was 30”
) I kept them on the desk below the window ( as I recall ). He then suggested throwing the bed spread or blanket over the bottom of the window frame to prevent ripping your skin off as you lower yourself down going out backwards. Luckily I never had the use for any of this but felt better having it just in case.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #12

That funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
So THAT's why they give you all those danged pillows! They know these things will burn up in seconds, so they load the bed with pillows for you to use for your escape out that barely-bigger-than-your-butt window.
Good and funny comment!
billb3672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:09 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I thought these emergency windows, when lifted up to where they are parallel to the ground, would fall? If that is not the case, then i hope to push it far enough to break, then I'm going feet first and dropping to the ground, after I lower the DW and dog.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #14

If you consider the number of pillows that came with my Cornerstone and assumed an interval of about 20 seconds to chuck each pillow out the window before exiting, I would guess that Dee or the cats might be out the window in around 10 - 15 minutes.

But now that I think of it, it is a far better use of those pillows than decorating my bed.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote