Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

Emergency Help Please

All...I just found that my son (USAF Pilot at Travis AFB) has been diagnosed with a malignant nerversheath tumor in his sciatic notch. He has surgery on Thursday, June 1st at Stanford Medical Center. I will be leaving San Antonio, Tx tomorrow in the motorhome, and would like to request prayer from this group, as well as ask for recommendations regarding best route (normally we drive I10 to Southern CA and then up to Palo Alto, but I'd prefer a route not driving through CA as much if possible (obviously I would like to get there ASAP). Additionally, does anyone have a recommendation for RV parks near Stanford Medical Center or have a place for us to park? I will be researching campgroundreviews.com tonight but thought I would ask this group for some assistance.

Sincerely,
Jeff & Terri
2012 Aspire DEQ
Jburklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #2

Can't help with route but will certainly be praying for him.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Jeff are prayers are with you and your son. Wish I could be of more help on the route. Gods speed to you and your Son.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Have a safe trip. Please do not over-drive your capabilities. The last thing you need is to have an accident now!
Sorry I also can not help with the route, but will be pulling for you.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #5

Your son and family will be in our most sincere prayers! Standford is a great facility. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your son!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Prayers for your son, you, your family and for safe travels. May God guide the surgeons hands.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #7

I feel your concern and are having good thoughts for your son. I10 and 210 thru LA have been a mess lately with construction on the E and W lanes on alternate days or who knows their plans. A longer route but with less chance of delay is to take I25 N to US40 and then continue on 40 to 58 in Barstow. Take 58 thru Bakersfield to I5. Go N to 580 to 680. Then take 238 N to 84 which will take you to Palo Alto. Or you can continue S on 880 to 238 (San Jose) and then N on 82 to Palo Alto or 101 depending on which RV park you find. Check Google maps for the traffic delays in LA in the West bound direction on the day/time when you will be there
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
I feel your concern and are having good thoughts for your son. I10 and 210 thru LA have been a mess lately with construction on the E and W lanes on alternate days or who knows their plans. A longer route but with less chance of delay is to take I25 N to US40 and then continue on 40 to 58 in Barstow. Take 58 thru Bakersfield to I5. Go N to 580 to 680. Then take 238 N to 84 which will take you to Palo Alto. Or you can continue S on 880 to 238 (San Jose) and then N on 82 to Palo Alto or 101 depending on which RV park you find. Check Google maps for the traffic delays in LA in the West bound direction on the day/time when you will be there
Thank you very much for all prayers and recommendations. I will check out the route you recommended and Google maps.

FYI. My oldest son, if you can say 34 is old, will be flying from Seattle to San Antonio to help me so that is an answer to prayer already!!

Jeff
Old 05-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #9

Hard to avoid California if you are going to Palo Alto.

I don't know if you're going to the Stanford Medical Center in Palo Alto, CA, I'm sure you know that your best/fastest route is I-10 to I-210 just before LA and then I-210 to I-5 North to Palo Alto. 24 hours driving time. A little over 1700 miles. That is hard, and you should really consider flying if you have any time constraints. There is no good way to go that is not through California. Sorry. And there is no good time to go through LA, but if you hit San Bernadino about 9 AM you will avoid the commute traffic and just have the "normal" traffic. SA- Van Horne-Benson or Vail, AZ;- Beaumont or Redlands, CA, - Palo Alto. Good luck, God Bless
Old 05-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Prayers will be going out for your son & family.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #11

My recommendation is to skip the drive.

Fly and stay at one of the recommended hotels.

You need to be there. Not wasted and worried over your coach.

The best RV park is in Half Moon Bay.. not the best solution.

Stanford Medical Center is tops. BTDT.

Prayers and God speed

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
My recommendation is to skip the drive.

Fly and stay at one of the recommended hotels.

You need to be there. Not wasted and worried over your coach.

The best RV park is in Half Moon Bay.. not the best solution.

Stanford Medical Center is tops. BTDT.

Prayers and God speed

-Matt
Thanks Matt and everyone ... my wife has been there since last week. I was there as well but had to come back home (Tx). Since this is going to be a long ordeal, we decided to take the coach. The surgery is next Thursday so I have time to get there. I have reached out to Half Moon Bay and they are trying to accommodate me. I'll know more tomorrow.

I know God is in control, and we have already seen miracles!

Appreciate all the prayers and thoughts!
Sincerely,
Jeff
Old 05-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Sending prayers for all of your family. Be safe and do what you need to do. If you need the coach, please consider hiring a professional driver to take it to CA while you fly. If you belong to a road assistance program, check to see if they would provide that service. If you have furbabies to consider, perhaps there is someone local who could drive the coach and furkids to CA in return for a plane ticket home. If we were there, we'd gladly extend that offer. God bless -
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Sending prayers for all of your family. Be safe and do what you need to do. If you need the coach, please consider hiring a professional driver to take it to CA while you fly. If you belong to a road assistance program, check to see if they would provide that service. If you have furbabies to consider, perhaps there is someone local who could drive the coach and furkids to CA in return for a plane ticket home. If we were there, we'd gladly extend that offer. God bless -
Really appreciate that! I had not considered a driver ... I'll check on that.

Thank you all ... that's why this forum is so great!
Sincerely,
Jeff