Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Don't think negative was intended, but to get back to jake brakes, I guess my thought is, in an emergency braking situation (the OPs post), I don't see how the jake discussion applies. We're using the jakes in some form or fashion depending on how comfortable we are with braking, cruise control, and speed in the mountains and hills (and honestly, I get uncomfortable with jake speed control with cruise control as it waits too long for me to kick in and I'm already going too fast downhill).

In the OPs post, no jake is going to respond quickly enough to his emergency braking situation. Only a good suspension, high quality disc brakes, ABS, and, to the driver's guts and skill to quickly evaluate alternatives and respond with a reaction quick enough to avoid an accident. I do think the info on use of jakes on wet versus dry roads is interesting, but I think I slow down in mountainous situations and rainy conditions. But when I have had the jake engage during those types of conditions, I did not feel any loss of control in the CS. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I took Driver's training back in the days of horse and buggy they said 2 car lengths for every so many MPH (Frankly without doing a bunch of math I do not reall if it was 1 car per 10 or 2).

Then they realized that estimating distance is not the easiest trick so they changed it to 2 seconds behind the car in front.
So when the car in front passes under a bridge start counting One Thousand One, One and you are already in the bridge's shadow you are FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE (one-thousand TWO was considered far enough)

They have upped it to one-thousand 3 for cars and 4 for motor homes though I disagree with the added seconds for the MH.. Still not a bad idea.

Following too close===== Well you were not ILLEGALLY following too close (you were legal since you did not hit him) But you were TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #17

Too fast for road conditions. Slow down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
We were headed home (to florida) from Gatlinburg Tenn. We were neaded down a grade rounding a corner in a light rain (area of I40 in the process of being repaved) trafic hab come to a sudden complete stop . I hit the brakes and the tires started howling and the coach started skidding . I was able to turn into the skid and I guess the abs worked I stopped within inches of the pickup truck stopped in front of us. The other lanes wete full with no where to go. I am truly blessed my shorts were still clean but (after my heart beat returned to normal)I was really impressed with how the cornerstone handeled(and so thankful I did not run over anyone)
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
We were headed home (to florida) from Gatlinburg Tenn. We were neaded down a grade rounding a corner in a light rain (area of I40 in the process of being repaved) trafic hab come to a sudden complete stop . I hit the brakes and the tires started howling and the coach started skidding . I was able to turn into the skid and I guess the abs worked I stopped within inches of the pickup truck stopped in front of us. The other lanes wete full with no where to go. I am truly blessed my shorts were still clean but (after my heart beat returned to normal)I was really impressed with how the cornerstone handeled(and so thankful I did not run over anyone)
Slow wwwwww around blind curves! Better yet google maps or Waze open checking traffic for several miles at a time.

My wife and are pretty much constantly aware of the upcoming 10 miles, 10 miles at a time.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Slow wwwwww around blind curves! Better yet google maps or Waze open checking traffic for several miles at a time.

My wife and are pretty much constantly aware of the upcoming 10 miles, 10 miles at a time.
What in the world are are you talking about? Real time nasa satellite veiwes of the road ahead ? You are a fool no app will show momejntary stops in trafic in real time , even if you had a direct link to home land securitys satellites it would not provide enough warninigs of sudden traffic conditions of course you could slow down to 5mph and not run in to these situations but it is illegal to drive under 40mph I was driving 50mph in a 70 mph zone. Why must people on these forums try to be so argumentative ? You did not know my speed or the road because you were not there. Why do you feel you should inflect I was drivi g to fast or improperly? If you can indeed show me an app that showes imstantanious brake aplication ahead of ones path I would greatly appreciate it and gladly pay for it , this particular traffic stoppage off cars/ pickup trucks included around 8 vehicles with no apparent reason for the cars stopping, they started moving again with in seconds would your wife and her app be able to warn you of this?
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert L View Post
How fast was I driving? I did not say in the post,. The road sign posted minimun speed 40 mph I was driving 50 or less.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #21

I do want to restate my reson for this post, the spartain k3 chassis has fantastic handeling characreristics. It amazes me all the forum members who want ro chastise /accuse/insinuate that some one is doing something wrong/stupid/reckless etc when they do not have all the information or any experiance driving the vehicle in question, what makes you want to make such coments? Do you feel that inadequate? I can assure you I know how to drive and have nad profetional training and certification .
Old 06-30-2015, 10:11 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Tom, don't worry about it. There are a whole lot of Entegra wanna bees that drive antiques that don't really have a clue and probably never will. I appreciate you sharing the control slide that you experience with a Cornerstone. The antiques would have probably been in the ditch or worse.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I do want to restate my reson for this post, the spartain k3 chassis has fantastic handeling characreristics. It amazes me all the forum members who want ro chastise /accuse/insinuate that some one is doing something wrong/stupid/reckless etc when they do not have all the information or any experiance driving the vehicle in question, what makes you want to make such coments? Do you feel that inadequate? I can assure you I know how to drive and have nad profetional training and certification .
Tom, I agree with you, it is easy for others to chastise someone, but in reality what happen to you could have easily have happened to anyone of us.

In my construction business when we were doing work for Progress Energy or Duke Energy and a incident or near miss occurred we would have a company discussion that we called "Lessons Learned", we would discuss what could have been done to prevent this from happening again. Everyone on this forum should benefit by your experience and be thankful you brought it out for discussion. Safety is important to all of us and I'm glad your ok and only had a near miss!
AlKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Following too close===== Well you were not ILLEGALLY following too close (you were legal since you did not hit him) But you were TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert L View Post
wa8yxm and Robert L
Well put
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the problems with that "Slow WAYYYY DOWN" advice is the car or truck behind you.. You know the one His license is 1 D 10 T.

You are 3/4 away around that blind curve doing 30 MPH (it's a 55 zone) and he's coming around the curve at 80 on 2 wheels.

Believe it or not I was listed as WITNESS on the resulting accident. only it was not a blind curve.
(it was a 4 lane road,, open with good visibility,, I saw the pick up come around the curve literally on 2 wheels.. The guy he hit was waiting to make a left turn into the store parking lot.. I was on a bicycle wating to make a left OUT of that same parking lot.. I knew the Idiot was going to hit when he came round the curve and sure enough.. HE did.. Then he blamed the guy he hit.. Cops were called and tickets written.. To mr. Idiot.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #26

No one is EVER going to get a ticket for going too slow down a steep hill......!!
Just not going to happen..! You go down a hill at a speed that is safe for what you are likely going to encounter. I have seen a ton of motorhomes descending hills way too fast.

FlaTom, I am not saying you were. However, like another poster, I consider the benefits of these forums to be the shared knowledge and experience of all of us, and like another poster, it is the wise person that does a "post situation" analysis. That is the reason I posted my experience in a similar situation. I thought some others could learn something from my situation. You want to descend with the cruise control on, have at it. That will never happen in my coach. Your results may vary.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #27

I have since the age of 18 , which was many years ago , spent a lot of time in almost every configuration of trucks, trailer combinations , equipment haulers etc. and the most important part of hill climbing/descending is the gear selected. Whatever gear got you up the hill should be used ( 1 less at times ) going down and under most circumstances the "jake " is your descending friend .

FlaTom, Glad you made out OK !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #28

Emergency Maneuvers

Glad you saved the day. And thanks for sharing your near-miss.
With the Smith System driver training, under those conditions (wet, down a grade) you would have needed 2x the gap and were 10 to 15 mph too fast. Stopping just in time is not an effective goal. The time difference between "whew" and "oh rats" was only milliseconds in your case.
Once tires howl or skid, you are are beyond the ABS and technically not in control. And no particular chassis is better than others in those loose conditions. Just IMHO.
GLAD you made it.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote