Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #1

Enclosed Stacker Car Trailers

Ok, I know this topic has probably been discussed extensively, but I wanted new views and opinions from those of you who own, or used to, this type of trailer for your cars and toys. After my last tow bar experience and near miss, I've gone back to this as a possibility. I've always wanted one secretly (they're cool), but now my wife may see another side of this (regarding safety?), which would give me an in.
My goal would be to buy a used one, and refurbish it/paint it to match.
Now, I am aware of some of the more common downsides (park constraints, parking the thing, more fuel, etc), but would like to hear from real owners about their experience. Stories of regret are also welcome! Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 06:31 PM   #2

The weight is a big deal with these trailers ... I had a pace shadow 26 footer triple axle
Was 13' 4 inches tall. Trailer was sweet but one heck of a pull.
10,000 pounds empty...is no joke. Probably 18,000 when your loaded up.I see you have a cornerstone which you could not have a better coach to pull one..
Unfortunately I sold it a couple years ago and never tested my anthem but I think it would of struggled honestly... the anthem is so heavy.
I dog down on the hills flat towing my jeep..
my biggest issue was heat.. period.. I had the power with a Cummins 400
Monaco dynasty but struggled with alarms going off on any long hills.
It was fine in the flats ... but I live in the west where everything is a hill..
Back east probably would be better.. my 2 cents would be buy a 20/22 footer double axle ... keep the weight down as much as you can.. that will definitely help.. never could figure out why Cummins would make the power to pull these beasts but not a cooling system that would keep up with the power.... rear engine and lack of air flow seems to be the case
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #3

Never thought overheating would be a problem, but this is why I posted the question. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2017, 10:50 PM   #4

I have been towing a stacker for about 7 years. I had a pace shadow 30ft which as stated above was very heavy. I would carry a ford f150, corvette z06 and a off road rig in there.

I have since sold it and had a ATC built which is all aluminum. It comes in at 6700 lbs empty. I love having a garage with me where ever I go. Yes you do have to look for resorts with bigger spots. Also at times I will unhook at resorts that have areas to park it. More and more resorts have parking areas for them
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #5

I have towed stackers for years...and yes some stackers are real heavy, my TPD is about 8k empty, and about 12k loaded, w/sand car and rzr.It holds 100+ gallons water and 80 in fuel,but I fill those right before my destination.
I like the v-nose for the extra free area it provides up front,some v nose stackers will come close to kissing your rear roof cap, when going through a large dip.Also most stackers are taller then most motor homes..Have to be careful of low gas station canopies.
jeffnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnjen View Post
I have towed stackers for years...and yes some stackers are real heavy, my TPD is about 8k empty, and about 12k loaded, w/sand car and rzr.It holds 100+ gallons water and 80 in fuel,but I fill those right before my destination.
I like the v-nose for the extra free area it provides up front,some v nose stackers will come close to kissing your rear roof cap, when going through a large dip.Also most stackers are taller then most motor homes..Have to be careful of low gas station canopies.

Thanks Jeff, given you're from California, I've been offered a local trailer, 24' ATC with these specs: YR 2012
Make ATC
MODEL ATCQST8524TA4
SWL 5400LBS
ULTIMATE BREAK 16200LBS
2 AXLES EACH 600-8,000LBS
⅜ GRADE 43 ZP
ALUMINUM

He wants $16,500. What do you think?
Old 09-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #7

Just realized your not far from me..I do a lot of work on the campus there... any way that seems like a great price for an ATC....not sure what you are stacking..but inside measurements are crucial..specially if you are tacking off-road vehicles, as they are wide and tall, and are tricky to stack..20 to 25k seems to be the average price for used
jeffnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 PM   #8

I have a 30' Ultra Haulers stacker that I tow behind my Cornerstone.I carry 2 dune buggies ,a rzr,100 gallons of fuel,50 gal water and a large built in tool box.
It puls it just fine with no issues ever.
GES627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:11 AM   #9

Thanks for all your replies! Just figuring out if this will be the best option for us.

Tags
trailer