RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Engine A/C

Well today is a 2 post day. Firstly, the alternator is bad and found out there are multiple leaks on the engine AC line, how can that happen? I being the second owner would have no clue, do they wear out over time?

I was told a 100ft of line would be needed along with the fittings and it would take 16 hours to replace. Well over 2,000.00.

Secondly, do I just not worry about the engine ac or should I pay the money to get it fixed? I do not believe my extended warranty will cover it.

Thanks

Suzzanne
2014 Entegra Cornerstone
2015 Jeep Cherokee
sdesha is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lots of people never get them fixed and just run the gen and roof air cons or heat pumps on air con setting.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I think you need someone else looking at your ac system. Generic statements like there are several leaks in the system is not a great response. Hoses can get kinked, burned or scuffed to the point of leakage but 99 times out of 100, it is a fitting or 2 thatís leaking. Hoses have an inner lining and will last a long time if they are not externally damaged. I would want to see where the leaks are before I would commit to replacing all the hoses.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Currently in the PNW, heading south and back to TX in October.
Iíve had my dash AC repaired 6 times in the last 18 months, none lasted more than a week. They ďfoundĒ and replaced leaking fittings, evaporator, compressor, all charged to my extended warranty. Finally asked them check those long hoses, sure enough, there were pin holes at places close to the engine. No matter what you replaced, it would work in the shop but not much longer.

In March this year the hoses were replaced (under extended warranty) and all seemed well. But, spent most of my time on the coast, didnít need air until Kanab. Guess what? No dash air.

Back to NIRVC Lewisville in December. Doesnít help the OP except you are not alone in your frustration.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
I think you need someone else looking at your ac system. Generic statements like there are several leaks in the system is not a great response. Hoses can get kinked, burned or scuffed to the point of leakage but 99 times out of 100, it is a fitting or 2 thatís leaking. Hoses have an inner lining and will last a long time if they are not externally damaged. I would want to see where the leaks are before I would commit to replacing all the hoses.
Second this. Not saying the hoses are not the problem.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:29 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Totally agree with what Beachbum said, get a second opinion. With that said, on my 14 the airlines that run in the same frame channel as the AC line were full of pin holes from the welding they did on the frame X bracing. The entire lines did not have to be replaced, Spartan spliced and ran new lines from the forward compartment to the front air manifold. Work on it for extended warranty as others have done.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:26 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Here is the construction of refrigerant hose. As you can see it is pretty stout. The inner lining is a solid barrier. This hose was adopted when newer refrigerants were used. The newer refrigerants have smaller molecules that are more susceptible to leaks. This also made all connections more susceptible to leakage.
I would look for a truck refrigeration(like Thermoking or Carrier) shop that will also work on truck and motorhome dash air conditioners. Our dash air conditioners are more similar to truck and off road vehicle systems. Those shops make their living doing refrigeration correctly. They have the tools, technology and experience to do it right. One caveat is not all of these shops will work on motorhomes. Even if they donít, you might ask them who they would go to if they had a motorhome.
Attached Images

Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:12 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Another agree with Nowabeachbum for AC service. After 3 different RV shops for dash air repair, it took a truck shop in Travers City MI to fix it right and never had another problem. The RV shops "just guessed" the truck shop knew exactly what to do.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I contacted my extended warranty and hoses and fittings on the chassis part (engine) AC is not covered. So I declined the repair cost of 3,400.00
Old 10-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We do not use the engine AC. Over the years I have had it repaired several times and it does not last. To much piping from the rear to the front. We run the genset and the central air. Works great.
On our old rig we just ran the front air on the road.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:15 AM   #11

Suzzanne

And yes, NowABeachBum is giving you good advice !

The dash AC system is made by a company named Evans TempCom. They are a big national company that supplies lots of truck and motorcoach cooling systems. I would suggest seeing if there is a listed dealer near you by calling the company directly. Also, talk to their customer service people and tell them what you have been told by the shop that you visited and ask them what they think of the information that you have been told. Ask them for a recommended shop near you.

The shop may be right, but the prices seen pretty steep both in parts and amount of service time. Its hard for me to believe that it would take a shop with a service pit that much time to run the hoses even if the whole hose was needed.

Given your list of needs over the time since you bought the coach, it sure seems that the people that had your coach before were not exactly the type of owners who found problems and got them fixed.... more like.... "oh there is another problem, so we just wont use this new system or device and learn to live without it." Sorry you have having the problems.

I have had dealing with Evans TempCon repair out in California and found them to be helpful and honest people.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Empire Truck is the one who performed my 30,000 mole service and found the leaks in the hose
Old 10-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Mile....
Old 10-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #14

Oh, and be sure to know if the total quote also includes a new AC compressor as that is a very big price. I have had three of those replaced on two coaches (luckily all under warranty), and my understanding is that you can't run them very long with low or no freon in the system without burning up the compressor. If your quote from that company included all new tubing/fittings and a compressor, those costs might make more sense. If no compressor, then I am back to my original opinion.... the price seems steep.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine