Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Engine Bay Door not opening

I have a 2017 Anthem. The electric door actuators (openers) are not the original. I had one motor die and replaced both with the new factory openers with the removable bolts (see picture). The motor on the opener pictured here has died. I popped off the clip end but am unable to push the bolt out. I am able to get a screw driver in there and push with some leverage on it but no movement at all

Looking for any suggestions.

Thanks

van Sayler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2592-3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	281017  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
The working motor might be causing it to bind. Try reversing it a little. I think the power engine door is one of the dumbest things to put on a motor home!!!!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsayler View Post
I have a 2017 Anthem. The electric door actuators (openers) are not the original. I had one motor die and replaced both with the new factory openers with the removable bolts (see picture). The motor on the opener pictured here has died. I popped off the clip end but am unable to push the bolt out. I am able to get a screw driver in there and push with some leverage on it but no movement at all

Looking for any suggestions.

Thanks

van Sayler
Try having someone relieve the pressure by lifting the door open a little bit more or trying to close is just a little bit....by hand..
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #4

Well, I got it open. Tried several things

I released the "arm" that is designed to help hold the door open. I think that was the key thing and then got the bolt pushed till it was flat with one side of the bar. Then used a screw driver and hammer to slowly push it the rest of the way. However, in trying to adjust the door to make that easier, it became apparent that the motor had started working again, go figure, so raised it and got bolt the rest of the way out

So now to put on two new ones but I have to decide if to go with the factory removable bolts or used what I did on the original ones as they were easier to get out.

Van
Old 04-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #5

I'd use the easy ones.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:23 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I have unhooked both motors and just lift door. The struts hold the door in the fully open position and when closed, the weight keeps it that way. I replaced both motors and door operates fine, but I find it easier and quicker to just manually lift and close.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:33 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fox View Post
I have unhooked both motors and just lift door. The struts hold the door in the fully open position and when closed, the weight keeps it that way. I replaced both motors and door operates fine, but I find it easier and quicker to just manually lift and close.

Tim, that’s what I did when one of the motors failed. It’s a lot faster just to lift the door and not worry about a motor failure.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #8

Tim

I would guess that your rear engine hatch is doing a lot of banging and bouncing as you drive down the road. Even with the motors working, if you dont run the door completely down, there is an amazing amount of "play" on the rear hatch.

Have you carefully looked for damage either to the hatch or the paint in and around the opening now that you are leaving the hatch do all that bouncing and vibrating? Any damage?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Tim

I would guess that your rear engine hatch is doing a lot of banging and bouncing as you drive down the road. Even with the motors working, if you dont run the door completely down, there is an amazing amount of "play" on the rear hatch.

Have you carefully looked for damage either to the hatch or the paint in and around the opening now that you are leaving the hatch do all that bouncing and vibrating? Any damage?

Gary

Gary it just works like it before they used the motorized door. The gas struts hold the door closed. And when you raise the door the struts go over center and hold the door open.
And as far as damage I was getting damage marks on the door frame before I took the lift motors off so I put felt bumpers like they put under furniture to prevent further damage.
Go pull on your door as see if there is not a bit of slack in it.
I will never put the lift motors back on, they were slower than molasses in zero weather. [emoji16]IMO
Richard
Old 04-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #10

Bulb seal and other gasket materials in the right places will eliminate most if not all vibration and paint rub.

Mark
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Got me interested, With motors unhooked, about how much weight do you feel when opening and closing in addition to the help of the struts? Are the struts doing most of the work? I have never opened one w/o motors.
When in the full open position will it safely remain there?

Thanks, Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #12

Pat

Cant answer you directly, but I know on my 15 Anthem which did not have the motorized lift, it was a pretty good tug.... What was strange is that you have to pull out and up about 1/3 of the way for the struts to then be pushing it up. Easily doable, but just awkward.

OK, on the jiggle and bang pads.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:24 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Got me interested, With motors unhooked, about how much weight do you feel when opening and closing in addition to the help of the struts? Are the struts doing most of the work? I have never opened one w/o motors.
When in the full open position will it safely remain there?

Thanks, Pat

FreshAir,

I believe the door opens easier on this 16 Anthem after I removed the lift motors than the 13 Aspire that never had lift motors in the first place. The trick to opening and closing is to grip it in the proper places. After a few times it will become natural.
Faster and no worry about the lift motors giving up the ghost.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
FreshAir,

I believe the door opens easier on this 16 Anthem after I removed the lift motors than the 13 Aspire that never had lift motors in the first place. The trick to opening and closing is to grip it in the proper places. After a few times it will become natural.
Faster and no worry about the lift motors giving up the ghost.
Did you add any kind of latch to keep it from vibrating or banging?

I've thought of removing the motors, but was afraid I'd have to change the struts and find a way to secure it.

Steve

Tags
door, engine