Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Engine Block Heater

Some you know this, others may wonder, and other may be able to use this little bit of info.

On delivery, I was told by the delivery tech the plug in the engine compartment was the engine block heater. Being an old oil field worker as a youngster, I knew we had these for the extremely cold temps in the plains during the Winter (read less than 10 degrees). I ask and was told leave it plugged in, won't hurt anything and it is there when you need it.

Well, that's probably good for Florida, but if you leave it on and the temps are in a range where the heater operates, whether it is needed or not, it takes a tremendous drain on the batteries, and can really drain deep charge when starting the engine.

Not sure all the implications yet, and will report accordingly, but suffice to say...if you aren't operating in sub-20 degree weather, unplug it...it does make a difference in charging........who'd a thought

Meantime, the next time I question something I got at delivery (or have a gut feeling), I'm going with my gut or calling Entegra directly. This is about the fifth thing that was just wrong that I was told during delivery, and this one has been painful for me for almost three months now, Entegra, and maybe Spartan, as we worked through charging and fault issues.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Some you know this, others may wonder, and other may be able to use this little bit of info.

On delivery, I was told by the delivery tech the plug in the engine compartment was the engine block heater. Being an old oil field worker as a youngster, I knew we had these for the extremely cold temps in the plains during the Winter (read less than 10 degrees). I ask and was told leave it plugged in, won't hurt anything and it is there when you need it.

Well, that's probably good for Florida, but if you leave it on and the temps are in a range where the heater operates, whether it is needed or not, it takes a tremendous drain on the batteries, and can really drain deep charge when starting the engine.

Not sure all the implications yet, and will report accordingly, but suffice to say...if you aren't operating in sub-20 degree weather, unplug it...it does make a difference in charging........who'd a thought

Meantime, the next time I question something I got at delivery (or have a gut feeling), I'm going with my gut or calling Entegra directly. This is about the fifth thing that was just wrong that I was told during delivery, and this one has been painful for me for almost three months now, Entegra, and maybe Spartan, as we worked through charging and fault issues.
Dave,

I find it interesting that the tech who did my walkthrough was the same guy that did yours. Only a few weeks separated us. All of the things you have shared here that he said to leave on all the time or plugged in all the time, he told me differently. Basically use as needed. nothing like being inconsistent!

As far as the engine block heater, I prefer to heat things up overnight if night time temps prior to leaving are going to be below 40 degrees. A warm engine starts easier and perhaps lasts longer. This is only my opinion and I know others will have their own take on things. The hard thing for me is remembering to unplug it before leaving.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
As long as we're on the subject of "knowledgeable" techs introducing one to a new rig, can anybody top "the white thermostat in the bathroom is for the heated toilet seat?"
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #4

I don't think that the engine block heater would be on an inverted circuit, so battery drain should not be an issue.
You might look into the plug-in further , to see if it is switched on from inside the coach; most likely, or thermostaticly controlled ; not very likely.
JMHO. Bad info from a salesman, always the probability.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbersdad View Post
As long as we're on the subject of "knowledgeable" techs introducing one to a new rig, can anybody top "the white thermostat in the bathroom is for the heated toilet seat?"
How about, When questioned about the reverse image on the back up camera," These older coaches with the cheaper systems are all like that! "
Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

I don't think that the engine block heater would be on an inverted circuit, so battery drain should not be an issue.
You might look into the plug-in further , to see if it is switched on from inside the coach; most likely, or thermostaticly controlled ; not very likely.
JMHO. Bad info from a salesman, always the probability.
That appears (along with some changed setting on the Command 30 that shouldn't have been changed) to be the problem with our charging issue and generator running way too much when we were dry camping on the road. Interestingly, it my also be the culprit for the Check Transmission and ABS faults we're getting when it is less than 40 degrees.
We'll see on the second issue.

Just a stupid thing if this turns out to solve the issue. Sometimes, your gut tells you something based upon experience, but your experience is either dated, or your memory isn't what it used to be, ect, ext,ext. And, it counteracts your gut. Oh well...

The one thing I can't complain about is Entegra customer support in helping me work through it.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
They say that memory is the second thing to go...I can't seem to remember what the first is
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Look about 2.5 feet lower...on second thought don't
Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post

Hi Dave and Beth,

- I hope you both are enjoying your new coach! We have been unable to use our coach as we would like as we still are in the workforce for a few more years. We are planning a week-long trip to Augusta in May to visit the two grandchildren there.
- We have not had any major challenges with our coach. Can you let me know the additional issues you have experienced? We might gain important insight from your experiences. I hope it is not to much of a bother.

Again, congrats on retirement and your new coach!

Stan
Stan Boddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater