Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #1

Engine block heater

If I am not mistaken, the outlet for the engine block heater in the engine bay is not inverted. Is that correct? Being absent minded, I worry about forgetting to unplug it before leaving cold climates en route to warmer ones. Don't want to cause any harm
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
If I am not mistaken, the outlet for the engine block heater in the engine bay is not inverted. Is that correct? Being absent minded, I worry about forgetting to unplug it before leaving cold climates en route to warmer ones. Don't want to cause any harm
No it’s not inverted and since it’s not leaving it plugged in won’t have any effect on it while on the road. That started in 2017.
I’m pretty sure the block heater is thermostatically controlled so I doubt it would hurt it even if it was on the inverter. However, when they were on the inverter it would run your batteries down when on the road.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
No it’s not inverted and since it’s not leaving it plugged in won’t have any effect on it while on the road. That started in 2017.
I’m pretty sure the block heater is thermostatically controlled so I doubt it would hurt it even if it was on the inverter. However, when they were on the inverter it would run your batteries down when on the road.
Thanks, Noel
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I plugged a "Christmas Light" remote between the outlet and the heater ; so I can control it form inside. I also added a night light; so I can see it when I walk the dog.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I plugged a "Christmas Light" remote between the outlet and the heater ; so I can control it form inside. I also added a night light; so I can see it when I walk the dog.
Yup set mine up with WiFi plug as I did my basement thermostat so I can control them with phone.
Jimjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #6

Maybe a dumb question, but I recently acquired a 2018 Anthem, and I was looking for info on a block heater. I saw a regular (looking) 110-type plug in the engine compartment, but could find nothing in the books - except the Aquahot block heater is mentioned and I found that on the Vega Touch screen you can turn that on. Is there also an electric block heater?
blade76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade76 View Post
Is there also an electric block heater?
Hi Bruce,

Not a dumb question and the answer is yes, there is an electric block heater. That's the male plug you found in the engine compartment that plugs into the outlet in the engine compartment.

That outlet, to the best of my knowledge, isn't on an inverted circuit. Only available while plugged into shore power or running the generator.

The AquaHot engine loop (selectable on the VegaTouch) works well.

I haven't found much documentation on the electric block heater. It's been suggested that it has an internal thermostat that will de-energize the heating element when the block achieves the setpoint. That's speculation on my part.

Some have installed WiFi controlled outlets in the engine compartment so they can remotely control power to the block heater.

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade76 View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but I recently acquired a 2018 Anthem, and I was looking for info on a block heater. I saw a regular (looking) 110-type plug in the engine compartment, but could find nothing in the books - except the Aquahot block heater is mentioned and I found that on the Vega Touch screen you can turn that on. Is there also an electric block heater?
The aqua hot engine block heater is turned on with your Vega Touch.
My Horizon has the same system. They also say only warm the engine about 1 hour. I don’t know why, but it’s in the manual.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:46 PM   #9

I confirmed today that my electrical outlet in the engine compartment does work while inverting. Nice to know since it will definitely drain your batteries at a quicker pace.

Tags
engine, heat, heater