Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 03:48 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The only problem with this configuration Chuck is that you will only have a engine brake while using the service brake's.........
Not hard to go from brake pedal to gas pedal to turn it off. As I understand just tapping the brake pedal turns it on when needed without having to use the service brake unless desired. Seems the best of both worlds for what the OP is trying to accomplish.
Me, I love the brake lights on, keeps people from tailgating me.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 03:56 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Not hard to go from brake pedal to gas pedal to gas pedal to turn it off. As I understand just tapping the brake pedal turns it on when needed without having to use the service brake unless desired. Seems the best of bothj worlds for what the OP is trying to accomplish.
Me, I love the brake light on, keeps people for tailgating me.
You are correct in the operation of this setting change, but his trailer brake's will still have power being applied to them Chuck........burning the trailer brake's up..........as long as those brake light's are on.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #31

Yes, an ECU that applies the engine compression/exhaust brake at the touch of the service brake AND KEEPS IT ON until the throttle is touched is an excellent choice.

Retains instant engine braking, but also allows coasting.

BTW, Caterpillar also offered this option on their electronic engines-- called LATCH MODE. They also offer a soft cruise option with more speed variation before big changes in throttle.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:12 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
I miss typed and was not thinking in my post #21, timed out and could not correct it.......
The only way is to have surge brakes on the trailer like posted or turn the controller down........until someone comes up with a wiring fix.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:13 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
You are correct in the operation of this setting change, but his trailer brake's will still have power being applied to them Chuck........burning the trailer brake's up..........as long as those brake light's are on.
Sorry, I forgot about the OP having a trailer issue. I wonder what all of the others do that are towing large trailers and stackers?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Sorry, I forgot about the OP having a trailer issue. I wonder what all of the others do that are towing large trailers and stackers?
No need for sorry Chuck guessing they either are turning their controller down like I do or don't know and are putting brake shoe's on
Think we would be surprised at the number of people that tow trailer's know this is going on or even their brake light's are on when using the engine brake..........
Old 07-02-2022, 05:32 PM   #35

I can't imagine why I would not want my toad brakes on if my coach is slowing below auto speeds (and that is almost always when descending a major hill). I'm traveling faster than trucks and slower than cars when descending significant hills.
And yes, Chuck, on a Cornerstone, the highest Jake brake is so aggressive that it definitely is slowing quickly.... I rarely ever use it..... mid jake is plenty.

The only logic I can understand form someone who doesn't like their brake lights on is if someone likes to drive it with their Engine retard or Jake on all the time, which is just bad policy leading to very jerky rides in stop and go city traffic. I've tried it, and I did not like it at all. I have a buddy who does this and I dont like riding in his coach for that exact reasom.

Oh well, to each their own.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. He did not want the trailer brakes on 100% of the time while descending a long grade.

The BUT is whether the surge brakes can be adjusted so that the g-force of engine brake does not activate them but application of service brake/higher g-force braking does.
The g force will activate them initially but once the trailer speed matches the coach speed they will ease off.
T_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Because his enclosed trailer's mass covers the view of his coach brakes entirely and is all that can be seen by someone behind. Might be wrong but that is the only logic I see.

Trailer brakes are only there to assist..... not to retard the descent of the unit.

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND why this question keeps coming up.

Gary
It has nothing to do with the trailer blocking the view. I did not want my trailer brakes on the whole time I am going downhill.
T_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I can't imagine why I would not want my toad brakes on if my coach is slowing below auto speeds (and that is almost always when descending a major hill).
Gary

Counterpoint: If the engine compression/exhaust brake (or even gearing down in a gas rig) is holding my speed of descent in equilibrium, I want neither my toad brakes on nor the brake lights.

Said another way, have been on a number of 4+ mile descents where the engine brake has kept me at the correct speed. Toad brakes on for that whole descent-- no thanks.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:06 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowGo View Post
This my first post, although I have spent many. many hours learning from this forum. Thank you to all the posters who have uploaded so much technical information.
I do know this topic has been discussed extensively, and this post is a request for technical information only. Please do not reply with opinions on the legality, appropriateness, foolishness, or provide other advice on whether or not this mod should be done.
I have a Spartan chassis under a 2014 Anthem and I am simply hoping to get some information on how to eliminate the stop/brake lights from being activated by my engine brake.
I have spent many. many hours reviewing wiring schematics and this forum. I have checked the Spartan fuse panel diagram on my coach to see if there is a fuse I could pull that would stop the stop/brake lights from being activated by the engine brake (some posts reference being able to do that). No fuse is identified as the engine brake stoplight.
I have dealt with (and have prepared a schematic) on how to prevent the trailer brake controller from activating when the engine brake alone is being used (no service brakes being used). However, I want to eliminate the stop/brake lights from being illuminated by the engine brake at any time, trailer or no trailer.

If anyone has actually done this please let me know how I can go about doing this.

Thanks in advance
Look for a relay or a diode in the diagram. Possibly labeled engine brake, and disconnect it. Cummins ECM uses a pull down circuit (ground) to activate the engine brake. So it would need to use a relay or diode to prevent the brake light application from back feeding the ECM.
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:29 PM   #40

Engine brake - NO stop/brake lights please

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Counterpoint: If the engine compression/exhaust brake (or even gearing down in a gas rig) is holding my speed of descent in equilibrium, I want neither my toad brakes on nor the brake lights.

Well stated. And if the brake lights are already on during your decent, and for instance, a deer runs out in front of you and you have to hit the service brakes hard, the car behind you has no warning because the brake lights had already been activated for a while.

Saving your toad or trailer brakes is reason enough though.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:00 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
Look for a relay or a diode in the diagram. Possibly labeled engine brake, and disconnect it. Cummins ECM uses a pull down circuit (ground) to activate the engine brake. So it would need to use a relay or diode to prevent the brake light application from back feeding the ECM.
This makes sense. The diode solution has been mentioned in at least one other post. Do you have any idea where I might find the diode. Circuit numbers are identified on the schematics, but it is quite another task to physically locate the diode. It would have to be "downstream" in the circuit or in a dedicated circuit so as to affect only the brake/stoplights from being activated by the engine brake with no other impact.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:13 PM   #42

See this Psot about mod...........

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/sto...ts-586047.html

OK it appears that brake lights activate a trailer/toad so I can see where using Engine Brake and not having trailer/toad brakes activated would be reasonable on long downgrades.

that could have easily been the answer as to WHY..........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brake lights, engine, light, lights