Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 06:56 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Engine brake - NO stop/brake lights please

This my first post, although I have spent many. many hours learning from this forum. Thank you to all the posters who have uploaded so much technical information.
I do know this topic has been discussed extensively, and this post is a request for technical information only. Please do not reply with opinions on the legality, appropriateness, foolishness, or provide other advice on whether or not this mod should be done.
I have a Spartan chassis under a 2014 Anthem and I am simply hoping to get some information on how to eliminate the stop/brake lights from being activated by my engine brake.
I have spent many. many hours reviewing wiring schematics and this forum. I have checked the Spartan fuse panel diagram on my coach to see if there is a fuse I could pull that would stop the stop/brake lights from being activated by the engine brake (some posts reference being able to do that). No fuse is identified as the engine brake stoplight.
I have dealt with (and have prepared a schematic) on how to prevent the trailer brake controller from activating when the engine brake alone is being used (no service brakes being used). However, I want to eliminate the stop/brake lights from being illuminated by the engine brake at any time, trailer or no trailer.

If anyone has actually done this please let me know how I can go about doing this.

Thanks in advance
NowGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 07:05 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Have you tried calling Spartan?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It can be done but will require reprogramming the ECM. I've considered doing the same thing.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #4

I'm curious as to WHY?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:41 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Have you tried calling Spartan?
I have. When I described the issue and the desired change Spartan stated "There is nothing that can be altered to change any of the operations described above."
Old 07-01-2022, 07:43 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
It can be done but will require reprogramming the ECM. I've considered doing the same thing.
Thanks for the reply.

Reprogramming by Cummins service center, or is this a Spartan issue?
Old 07-01-2022, 08:10 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I'm curious as to WHY?
Thanks for the reply.

I would love to explain but...

I am sure my explanation would invariably lead to ongoing debate in replies from other posters (I have seen this on other posts about this same subject, ties up the forum with no resolution).

Sorry Old Biscuit.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowGo View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Reprogramming by Cummins service center, or is this a Spartan issue?
Cummins Service Center should be able to do it, but I would call them to see.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:49 PM   #9

I'm just curious why the brake lights coming on when engine brake engages is an issue.

You have possible solutions so opine as to the WHY.

My exhaust brake/aftermarket/ doesn't and I would like it too so those behind me are aware I am Slowing down.

Can't imagine what harm or issue would be in brake lights coming on when slowing due to engine/exhaust braking
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:58 PM   #10

Engine brake - NO stop/brake lights please

I don’t like when mine come on with engine brake either. There’s no safety reason for it, as it’s not slowing much faster than just letting off the accelerator. I can understand why with a more aggressive engine brake like an actual Jake brake, yes it could be a safety issue.

I simply don’t want other drivers to think I’m riding my service brakes down a hill when I’m not. And I DO want them to take notice when I actually step on the brakes.

Following this thread.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:27 PM   #11

I think that you will find that the ECM can be programmed, but that Spartan will refuse to do it for you as it is a safety issue and it would make them legally liable for problems.

And the reasons should be obvious. The engine brake should not be on for routine braking all the time. That is what service brakes are designed to do. Engine brakes should be on when you are actually using them for braking and if you are braking, (slowing) then your coach brake lights should be illuminated. Simple concept

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:06 AM   #12

Nowgo, you should also start another thread where the opinions about the safety, and or what ever can be make. That thread will be 12 pages long before you know it and your thread as to how to stop the lights will not even make it one page.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:20 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The brake on the engine Cornerstone is serious if you use the middle or high setting. I don’t drive with the engine brake on and have mainly used it when going down a mountain. Sometimes I want to coast.

But I have used it when taking an exit or coming up on a stop light once in a while. The high section is aggressive. I would definitely be concerned about getting hit without brake lights with that much aggressive braking.

I don’t even like it that my tow vehicle brake lights don’t come on with that much brake. But I use the main brakes most of the time.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:21 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
There are many times that the engine brake is NOT slowing the vehicle, it is just not letting it gain speed going down a long grade. It’s there to save your service brakes from wear and heat.

And there are different types of engine brakes. Some provide more braking than others. The one on my coach is just a single stage pak brake.
Hmm, I don' know about your Engine Break, but every one I have had (3), the brake lights come on only when the engine break IS ACTUALLY slowing the vehicle e.g., I use mine all the time when on CC in mountainous terrain. If downhill speed exceeds CC setting by a certain amount (usually 5 MPH) the EB comes on and slows me to the CC set speed. Just because the EB switch is on and not energized, my brake lights do not come on. Additionally, my EB is rather aggressive so those brake lights need to be on.
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brake lights, engine, light, lights