Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #1

Engine brake switch with the little lever

Anybody found good place to get the new style ones. Would be nicer to find with out looking for it all the time.
anthem16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
The "lever" is used with the transmission retarder. Those are found in bus conversions and the Foretravels.

I leave my engine brake on all the time, it doesn't hurt a thing
Old 07-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

correct..except for maybe fuel mileage
xtechgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The "lever" is used with the transmission retarder. Those are found in bus conversions and the Foretravels.
That's not what he's asking about. In the 2018 and later Entegra motorhome (perhaps even earlier model years), the on-off rocker switch for the engine brake has a raised lever in the center of it to make it easy to locate by feel rather than having to look. Next to that switch is the switch to select Low, Medium or High engine braking. That switch also has the raised lever on it.

Very handy once you get used to it.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #5

Exactly , I got a piss poor way of discribing it , sorry , 16s had just the normal flat switch
Old 07-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Actually it is better not to use it all the time. One of the Spartan guys at the Tampa show said your brakes are good for about 200,000 miles; use them or the develop a "glaze" and are not as effective. I used to leave it on all the time; now I use on long down hills and in heavy traffic, just to give me that split second head start to the brakes.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #7

Yip I heard that to, that's not for me. I drive truck and don't plan on having the brakes burn up on down hill . Street lights and stop and go driving don't normally use ,unless high speed stops then use it. It's what it's there for.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #8

I don't own a 16 so dont know for sure, but I owned a 15 Anthem and my Jake switch was on the flat console to my left, about the second row on the right. Not sure about you, but the switch was located exactly where my hand would touch down onto that panel if I just let my arm/hand come down to its most restful position. To me, that meant that it was a piece of cake to find that switch. I would just let my arm/hand rest down and it would be on that switch. If I really was not sure if that was the Jake switch, I would simply push down on the front of the switch and see if it clicked once and then click it back to off. That told me I had my hand on the Jake.

Now, the way that I use a Jake may be related. I NEVER have the Jake on unless I am descending a very long very steep grade as that is the only place that I think that it is needed or beneficial (even a shorter, steep grade qualifies). The service brakes are for stopping in normal conditions, not the Jake. So, as I crest the hill, I make sure that the coach speed was below about 50 mph (where the Jake begins to have a noticeable effect on the ISL), and them moved my left hand to the Jake switch and left it there continuously. I could then move the switch from low to high and off as needed to decrease my speed and maintain my slower speed during the descent.

I have the system that you are describing on my 2019 Cornerstone, and the two paddle style switches are also easy to feel. However, I would not have gone through the grief of installing new switches in my Anthem as I was descending major hills and mountains maybe 2% of my total driving time.

I drove truck too and there is no reason for the Jake to be engaged very often.

This is my opinion, if you are not descending a major hill, leave the Jake off....... you are just making needless noise. YOMD

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #9

Kind of what I do now I guess . [emoji106]
Old 07-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #10

To address your original question, I would try sending an e-mail to parts@entegracoach.com and see if they will provide you with the part numbers for the new switches (one or both, depending on what you want).

I'm pretty sure they won't sell them to you directly, but if you have the part numbers any Entegra dealer can order the parts for you. Just be sure the new switches will fit in the same opening as your old ones.

Definitely worth doing, at least in my opinion. I'm confident you'll like the new switches better than the old ones. And if you're able to get it done, I'm sure others here on the Entegra Owners Forum would be interested to have the relevant information.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 07-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I leave my engine brake on all the time, it doesn't hurt a thing
It does if your favorite speed is coast. It does hurt fuel mileage if that speed is given up.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
To address your original question, I would try sending an e-mail to parts@entegracoach.com and see if they will provide you with the part numbers for the new switches (one or both, depending on what you want).

I'm pretty sure they won't sell them to you directly, but if you have the part numbers any Entegra dealer can order the parts for you. Just be sure the new switches will fit in the same opening as your old ones.

Definitely worth doing, at least in my opinion. I'm confident you'll like the new switches better than the old ones. And if you're able to get it done, I'm sure others here on the Entegra Owners Forum would be interested to have the relevant information.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
ThanksI have just one switch, off- low- high. Try to find switch , might be as simple as changing just the top part of switch like this oneClick image for larger version

Name:	1530905495079.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	209820
Old 07-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #13

Sorry for the confusion! What I posted was applicable to our 2018 Cornerstone which has a three-stage engine brake.

I'm guessing you have a two-stage brake, so you'll probably want to check a 2018 or 2019 Anthem, Aspire or Insignia to see what form of raised lever switch they may have. With any luck you may find it to be an easy swap.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #14

Thanks alot going to leave on trip next week to south Dakota, Colorado,. Moab Utah for mountain and rock trails.

Tags
brake, engine, switch