Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Engine light and blinking DEF light

my 2014 cornerstone check engine light is on and the DEF light is blinking red with the key off engine not running. when we turn the key on and start engine the DEF gauge shows full.
rv has set a couple of months but aways plugged in to shore power.
any suggestions
Duckdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdat View Post
my 2014 cornerstone check engine light is on and the DEF light is blinking red with the key off engine not running. when we turn the key on and start engine the DEF gauge shows full.
any suggestions
What codes are shown in the dash display for the check engine light? My guess is it will be related to the DEF system.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

You need to read the code numbers (all of them) and then look them up or call Spartan and then ask them what that code translates as a Cummins code. We can probably get close but I would get the word straight from the "horse's mouth"

Gary
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan now has a phone app that will give the meaning of the fault code numbers. Push your odometer arrow until fault code comes up, the push the bottom arrow to read the code(s). A red flashing DEF I am going to guess is one of the DEF sensors. Hopefully it is false code and goes away, but red it not good.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
If I remember correctly, 5 engine starts will clear your fault codes. Start engine run for a minute shutdown and restart. Log your fault codes for future reference before you clear the faults.
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:16 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You are correct about the book saying 5 starts to clear the code. However I have had some go more than 15 starts to clear the code, others have gone away in just a few miles of driving. The codes were determined to be bogus by Spartan so I didn't worry about it. Also finding out (from experience ) if the code is not in the Spartan app, it usually a bogus code.

I have had several bogus codes where Spartan has determined I need the ECM flashed. There are 14 Cummins upgrades since my engine was put into service and a few Spartan's flashes as well.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:31 AM   #7

Sounds like another reason to never let the DEF get low. I added some with my 'emergency' stash yesterday after two failed attempts to hit the correct side of the pumps when fueling and it fell to 1/4 full. Had a Mercedes Bluetech give me fits clearing it's codes after waiting for the warning to come on.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdat View Post
any suggestions
Talked to Spartan, they suggested after looking at codes ,fir us to head to a repair shop. Made it to Southern Plains Cummings in Amarillo .We had a blown intake manifold gasket on the blower. Reset all computer codes, replaced gasket, and hit the road.
Best experience with the SP folks thanks to Mech.David and service writer Tessie they are awesome. Thanks to all that responded
Happy trails
Duckdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #9

As an owner who has had a couple of serious problems with engine codes, no one should be quick to ignore an engine code they get and assume that it is unimportant or will go away, or sit there and start and stop to reset the code, and ognore what the code indicates. Most of the codes are there for a reason. A code may start out as a yellow engine code (but a serious prelude to a serious problem), and if ignored, will change to a red engine code and an engine de-rating, and eventually an engine shut down. The serious part is that Spartan/Cummins cannot (or will not) tell you how far you can go (in my experience) before the engine will de-rate and you have bigger problems. I have been told by Spartan people that a simple DEF engine code will lead to a more serious code and a de-rate of the engine if ignored long enough because some of those pesky DEF or DPF codes are violations of federal emissions regulations.

To me, best policy is to carefully consider each engine code (other than that pesky false code which you get just for starting the engine too quickly before the yellow engine fault code extinguishes (can't remember the number)) and call Spartan as soon as you get it, and then get guidance on what you are dealing with. Ignore it at your own peril, JMHO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:27 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for that update, if a code light is red, it is normally not good.

BTW, the starting engine to fast code is 1081

Tags
light, engine