Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Engine Power Loss

We're at Cummins Atlantic for a sudden loss of oomph in the engine and find a radiator core leak in our '16 Aspire. No codes, so they decided to begin by replacing the fuel filter and ordering a new radiator through Spartan. They found specs of garbage in the filter! Super said they see that all the time and it's probably from the fuel stations. We almost always fuel up at Pilot and Flying J, we keep a log and receipts, and we are scratching our heads. Hope the filter is a fix. He recommended keeping an extra on board, just in case. The loss of engine power happened while climbing over a mountain west of Asheville, NC., then when trying to merge on the flat on our way to Cummins. Pedal to the floor and no guts... Anyhow...they squeezed us into their work schedule and are taking good care of us here!
AbuelaLoca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #2

Always carry spare fuel filters for the main, generator, and AH.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto on the spare filters. Also, if you live in a hot humid area and leave the unit parked for long periods of time add an algeacide to your fuel tanks.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #4

Loss of power , with no CEL , 99% chance that it's fuel filter related.

I don't know if any of the info in this post applies to your chassis , but I've heard of this issue a few times , so I consider it worth passing on.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/the-t...er-328852.html
Old 06-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Interesting read, thanks!
AbuelaLoca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I had a load of water in the fuel from a Flying J. It was as if someone left the tank fill open and it rained. Always carry spare fuel filters and a strap wrench to change them with. Bad fuel can happen at any time through no fault of your own.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #7

I read through every word of the other thread of the poor fellow with repeated problems which appear to have been a result of a "hidden" unknown in-line pre fuel filter, rust, and algae in his fuel line.

Now, can anyone tell, for us, if there is anything similar to an in-line pre filter in our rigs? I am aware that we have a pre filter (which I carry a spare of it with me at all times) that is located in the same compartment as the main fuel filter, plus the main fuel filter (and I carry a spare of that one too), so is our pre-filter the replacement for this "hidden" in-line filter? Is there any possibility that there is another filter that we are not aware of ?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #8

Great question Gary. I have never heard of it and would doubt it but I sure do not know for sure, hopefully someone (read Cruzer) will know and reply.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #9

Cruzer............... Where are you?

Gary
Old 06-09-2017, 06:34 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I am not Cruzer, but just what I have seen on my coach. I have followed the fuel line from the tank to the engine. The first filter I came to was the primary FS1065 filter. That filter is drainable to see if there are any contaminates in the fuel.

Did the other poster have a coach built on a Spartan chassis? Here is a flip to that, Travel Supreme to save a buck did not have the secondary fuel filters installed on their Spartan built chassis using the 350 ISC, but other manufactures on the same chassis had secondary filters.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #11

The other thread was referencing ISBs in Freightliner chassis.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
If we had that strainer on our coaches that needed to be changed every 2 years I am sure Mike O'Neil at Spartan school would have told us about it.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #13

My answer too, Don. Plus, hundreds of savvy owners have looked at Spartan chassis on the line and in the classroom at Spartan. Someone would have noticed, IMO.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:57 PM   #14

well, we all know that we have a primary and secondary fuel filter in the fuel lines of our coaches, and I remember that as of when I bought my coach in early February 2015, the secondary was still a somewhat exotic filter and somewhat difficult to find in on-line suppliers. My first spare was also pretty pricey as I remember it. So, I can certainly see the purpose in a main and secondary fuel filter, and I believe that standard policy for all of us is to replace the secondary every time we replace the primary and for me, that is at 12,000. I will have my 12,000 mile oil change/lube done at Speedco within a week and all the filters will be changed across the board on the main engine. I do the generator myself as it is needed.

Now, as I say, it would make sense that there be two filters but it also makes sense that they be easily accessible and changed at the same time, unless the manufacturer or Spartan say otherwise. My guess is that our secondary filter does the job of that filter. But I would like that all confirmed as I sure as He** would like to avoid an experience as terrible as the poor fellow that needed towed multiple times, and had filters changed 4 or 5 times in one 1400 mile trip (or whatever it was.....)

Gary

Tags
engine, power