Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2021, 07:58 PM   #15

Running the engine while on shore power isn't very different than running the engine and generator together.

And it's the same as driving in sunlight, with a solar system on the roof.

All charging systems are voltage regulated. When the batteries are at the set voltage the regulators cut output and amps drops to near zero for all of them.
No overcharging occurs. Leave them all on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2021, 08:06 PM   #16

I may not understand everything I see but I can report on two occasions when the alternator output on my ScanGaugeD told me the alternator was charging the chassis batteries the ALT light came on. When I walked back to the electric panel and pushed the Charger ON/OFF switch to OFF it put the charger in STBY with a flashing green LED and extinguished the ALT light.
I prefer to be safe rather than sorry so I will continue to do what works for me. JMHO.
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #17

Im not telling you how to run your rig but for the others who may see this, and others have,, the alt light came on because the house charger was outputting a bit more volts then the alternator was.

Alternator regulators are not smart. They set a light if the volts at the battery are higher then at the alternator.

With grid heaters running, on a cold idling engine, the alternator can't keep up. The light is just a temporary warning.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Alternator regulators are not smart.
Hey, I resemble that remark[emoji848]

Quote:
They set a light if the volts at the battery are higher then at the alternator.

With grid heaters running, on a cold idling engine, the alternator can't keep up. The light is just a temporary warning.
Thanks for the explanation. Good to know.
Question: When I turn the key to RUN on a cold morning I get the Wait To Start light and I notice the chassis batteries voltage on my ScanGaugeD drops to 11.xx volts. The WTS usually goes out then comes back on then goes out again without coming back on for a third time. I then turn the key to START and release it to RUN after it starts. When it starts the voltage creeps up to 12.xx volts and when the alternator starts charging the voltage jumps up to 13.xx volts. I assumed that the grid heaters turn off when the WTS light goes out and is confirmed when engine starts and the voltage starts to creep up. Is that not correct or do they really stay on for awhile at Idle and the voltage draw is masked by the higher alternator output?
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 12-30-2021, 10:48 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never even thought about it. Mine is plugged in at the house and I start it up all the time plugged in. When I'm at camp, I start it up before pulling the slideout in or unplugging.
I guess it could be a problem, the converter is getting about 13.5 volts and the engine charges to about 14 volts.
Never had nor heard of that causing a problem.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark[emoji848]

Thanks for the explanation. Good to know.
Question: When I turn the key to RUN on a cold morning I get the Wait To Start light and I notice the chassis batteries voltage on my ScanGaugeD drops to 11.xx volts. The WTS usually goes out then comes back on then goes out again without coming back on for a third time. I then turn the key to START and release it to RUN after it starts. When it starts the voltage creeps up to 12.xx volts and when the alternator starts charging the voltage jumps up to 13.xx volts. I assumed that the grid heaters turn off when the WTS light goes out and is confirmed when engine starts and the voltage starts to creep up. Is that not correct or do they really stay on for awhile at Idle and the voltage draw is masked by the higher alternator output?
The heaters can cycle on and off depending on intake air temperature.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:06 PM   #21

Quote:
The heaters can cycle on and off depending on intake air temperature.
GTK. Thx.
I wonder if I use these enough for Good To Know and Thanks they will catch on with interweb dwellers. [emoji848]
Old 12-31-2021, 04:45 PM   #22

Starting engine on shore power is no problem. Do it all the time in Summer to keep the AC's going when getting ready to leave. Just need to make sure you disconnect before you put coach in gear.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
Starting engine on shore power is no problem. Do it all the time in Summer to keep the AC's going when getting ready to leave. Just need to make sure you disconnect before you put coach in gear.
Isn't that kind of rough on the transfer switch?
Old 01-01-2022, 07:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post

Starting Coach engine while plugged in.

When disconnecting from shore power I turn off all of the loads, turn breaker off in outside pedestal, then unplug. If needed I will then start generator and once it gets going and putting out power I start adding load back.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:03 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Transfer switch is 120v, engine is 12v should not interfere, totally separate circuits. Four coaches over 20 years starting the engine while plugged in, do it in storage all the time, I have never lost a transfer switch.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:20 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't consider it safe to start up if I'm on jacks. Only because it will reinstate my air bags (air springs). But if my jacks are up it's safe, but I will have a warning that the slid is out and antena is up if they are.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
I don't consider it safe to start up if I'm on jacks. Only because it will reinstate my air bags (air springs). But if my jacks are up it's safe, but I will have a warning that the slid is out and antena is up if they are.
However on an Entegra, air pressure first, raise jacks, pressure up again then bring slide in. Engine must be running to air up.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
However on an Entegra, air pressure first, raise jacks, pressure up again then bring slide in. Engine must be running to air up.
2015 Entegra Aspire I fire up engine to get ride height, raise jacks, verify still at ride height, then turn off engine. I leave plugged in to shore power while I close slides. Then unplug shore power, fire up engine, and ready to hit the road. Of course sewer and water are disconnected also LOL
Deere Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine