Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra & 30 amp

We're considering a short trip this weekend to save our son from having to do the drive himself. The destination only has 30 amp service. I might be mistaken, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Enegras don't like 30 amp shore power via dogbone. Is this a correct recollection? I know it was not a problem in our previous Tiffins (Allegro Bus & Phaeton), but if I remember correctly they used a different transfer switch.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
30 amp is no problem. Turn a few things down and you can run fine on 30 amp, just not all 3 AC's. On Vega Touch home page, hold the inverter icon until the charger and inverter page come up on the right side. Turn one of the chargers off. One will keep the batteries charged fine. The other setting is the shore power 50 amp, turn that to 30 amp and it will help manage power for you.

Do not run a hair dryer and the microwave at the same time. Coffee maker is another one. It helps to pour the coffee in a thermos if you have the type that the warmer plate stays on. Be mindful not to have everything on at the same time that is high amp usage and you will be fine.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Chuck. I knew the Vegatouch inputs could be adjusted, but just didn't remember which item adjustments were available. On the Allegro Bus, we had the Magnum remote console, which was easier since that could be set to limit the demand down to 30A (it also didn't have two inverters). I'll have to go out and "play" with the various setting to see how comfortable I would be if doing it away from home. I did find the following cheater box warning in the Anthem manual, but I am researching the dogbone, I don't want anything to do with cheater boxes:

"Do not use any cheater plug, adapter or extension cord to reconfigure incoming AC power or break the continuity of the circuit connected to the grounding pin."
Old 05-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
The dogbone is fine, mine is plugged in with the dogbone 24/7. The settings are easy, print out what I posted and take it with you as a refresher. Need any help, let me know. I store on 20 amp so I am familiar with the short cuts.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Chuck .
Old 05-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
BTW I turn the inverters off too. No need to power those while on limited amps
Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
BTW I turn the inverters off too. No need to power those while on limited amps
If you turn both inverters off, what charges your batteries to replace the energy that your 12V lights and accessories are using?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #8

Sounds like a good opportunity to exercise your generator if you need extra power during that time. Say A/C during the day. I would check the rules of the park/campground where you are planning to stay some have restrictions.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
If you turn both inverters off, what charges your batteries to replace the energy that your 12V lights and accessories are using?
I leave one charge on, have not had a problem. Then again, I am not running TV's etc either. Also this is on the Vega Touch where they are all separated. Two inverters, two chargers.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
Sounds like a good opportunity to exercise your generator if you need extra power during that time. Say A/C during the day. I would check the rules of the park/campground where you are planning to stay some have restrictions.

Granted we have not been to a "large" amount of campgrounds, but I don't remember seeing any of the campgrounds where we've stayed that allow generators since they have electricity. There was one time where our favorite home getaway spot, Americamps-Ashland, had a lengthy power outage due to a fast moving storm and many of us fired up our generators after about 4 or 5 hours into the outage. Of course, there were no complaints during that time. As for exercise, I tend to run the generator with all 3 roof ACs to kill two birds with one stone; 1, I don't have numbers to prove it, but I bet that generator usage is equal to, if not lessor than dash air fuel consumption (in addition to knocking out the exercise), and 2, we arrive with the entire coach already cooled. I don't think we've ever used the dash air in any of our motorhomes.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Vegatouch SHOULD sense the 30amp shore power and adjust automatically, shutting down the second inverter/charger.

Run 2 A/C’s ONLY if you are Float charging. Of Bulk or Absorb, only run 1 A/C. If float charging and you want to run microwave or coffee or hair dryer or stove, turn off the second A/C.

If they would cut the shore power back to 5amps when on 30amp, we’d be real happy, but I don’t think they’ve figured that out yet.

If, when on 30amp, you see your inverter pulling 79amps or more, you’re going to pop the breaker.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:16 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Does the Vegatouch also support load shedding? If not, turning off the Aquahot electric during times of high energy use would help. When active the electric heater element consumes almost 14 Amps.

Also, doesn't the Vegatouch display amps being consumed from shore power? Seems like keeping an eye on that would be helpful.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:25 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Turning the inverter function off at the panel typically doesn't turn off the charging function. If you turn it off at the breaker panel it will though.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Turning the inverter function off at the panel typically doesn't turn off the charging function. If you turn it off at the breaker panel it will though.
If you turn off the Inverter at the breaker, you also turn off any circuits that run off it. Anything on the inverter pass thru switch will not be powered.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entegra